A technical question about the sound of G vs Bb horns

jdostie

When do we all just switch to pocket trumpets and kazoos?

LMAO i've always wondered when a corps would pull out a pocket trumpet for some sort of trick.

The horns generally have similar dimensions to their Bb counterparts, with the exception of extra tubing at certain points to lower the pitch--extra cylindrical tubing at that, which means that the average G bugle is actually more cylindrical than its Bb counterpart. By and large, that sort of thing doesn't have anything to do with any real or perceived sound or volume difference between the two.

Well, back before multi-key (2000+). There was quite a distinction in bell flares. Bugles were more connical. For the most part. Obvious exceptions where Bb horns were mutilated to be in G, and generally being considered duds by anyone who was unfortunately enough to play on them. Since corps went multikey a lot of lines of horns have been redesigned to be more Connical on their Bb horns. Perhaps there's a reason other than marketing that valveless bugles that are less connical are termed field trumpets and not bugles. Not that the distinction between is all that great these days. I've noticed a trend in less connical Euphoniums since we went three valves. Even my Kanstul 3 valve G Euph doesn't snug up to my Yamaha Silent Brass Euphonium mute as well as the Deg 2 valve Euph. It still fits, but with the Deg 2v, I could probably spin the horn and not have the mute fall out. With the Kanstul if I jiggle it, it'll fall out.

That's true, but a horn isn't determined to be conical or cylindrical by the bell. G bugles generally have a wider throat and less flare, and newer Bb marching horns are generally designed likewise now. But a horn can generally be determined to be one or the other by trying to switch the tuning slide around. I don't think it's universally true (American baritones are conical but the tuning slide changes slightly enough it still usually fits to switch it), but by and large that's my understanding.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny thread.

I was just thinking about last year when someone told me about these new Bb "bugles".Described as a large bore Bb with a short conical bell.I said AHHHHHH a cornet :lol: :lol: :laughing:

Not exactly...

• 3 weeks later...
How about this :thumbdown: :

COPPER--POCKET_resized.jpg

Seems like Dream did this back in 05 0r 06 at the beginning of their mini corps show