DCA is "filling a void" left by DCI's Super Corps Model

Great, so then get out of the thread if your HUGE bias prevents you from actually thinking. All you do is trash DCA, not offer any intelligent (key word) opinions as to if DCA could help out Open class or not.

Therefor, leave this thread for those of us who want to comment on the positives and the negatives, instead of trashing a circuit. I could search over this topic, but I really don't think there are any DCA people putting down DCI. Talk about 1 person sending a thread OT.

Still never answered my question, why do you post here since you aren't relevant anymore? Afterall, thats what you asked us.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, all right then. I wish I had your talent for making judgments about something you have no clue about.

Tom, to be perfectly honest, and this is just my opinion.... I don't know you, have never met you, and probably never will.... but who cares what you think about DCA, since you obviously want no part of it. No one is going to stay up nights waiting for you to issue your grand pronouncement about the "relevance" of DCA...... or the relevance of anything, for that matter.

I respect the opinion of someone like Mike Davis, who obviously is very pro-DCI, but also has seen his share of all-age and alumni corps and appreciates what those corps bring to to the table. Probably because I'm the same way, along with a whole bunch of other drum corps fans.... I obviously spend more time with the DCA side of the activity, but I also really enjoy the junior corps and alumni corps for what they do.

So have a nice day. Don't let the door hit you in the ### on the way out, my friend.

Fran

I love the attitude. Go you!

You are correct. I won't come see a DCA show. Most likely never. I can say that with most confidence. So, I don't believe DCA is filling any void at all. None.

And that's what this thread was SUPPOSED to be about. You may disagree with me. That's fine. And if you find me dismissive, that's fine too.

DCA is DCA. It is a niche within a niche. Nothing more. It is NOT growing. The attendance numbers are flat.

DCI is also a niche within a niche. Nothing more. It is NOT growing. The attendance numbers are flat.

With the cost of touring increasing, DCA will no doubt have expansion issues. Most likely the roots in the upper northeast will remain but it may cost too much for corps west of the Mississippi to continue their annual pilgrimage.

My guess is that DCI will suffer more. Finals in Indianapolis will help corps in the center of the country, but I can see the day when corps from California, the Pacific Northwest, expecially, will have to consider other options than appearing every year in Indy.

Yep, drum corps as an activity is facing a ton of traveling issues. In this area, the DCA base in the upper notheast has an advantage.

So of all of the midwest shows you go to, you have never seen Min Brass??????? Kilties?? Chops or Govies?,...................come on Tom.............

Gary, I've seen them...there are just ZERO DCA shows. These corps (early in the season) are usually not yet at their par and are usually on early in the show. I usually catch Kilties once a season and maybe one of the other corps. I admit, I've seen none of them in three years as I now live in the southwest.

And don't tell anyone...I really haven't missed them.

I miss drum corps. I buy DVDs and use the live streams from DCI, but I never think to myself...wow...I wonder what Minnesota Brass is playing this year. Nope. I don't wonder that.

Yet again, your wrong. There have been new start-ups this year and last for new corps. Will they field this year, probably not. But many have stated that is there goal. There has been a steady growth to the amount of corps in DCA.

So thanks, you've told us it won't fill the void. We hear your opinion, you haven't said anything else backing that up except false information. Kindly leave this thread to the adults.

Great, so then get out of the thread if your HUGE bias prevents you from actually thinking. All you do is trash DCA, not offer any intelligent (key word) opinions as to if DCA could help out Open class or not.

Therefor, leave this thread for those of us who want to comment on the positives and the negatives, instead of trashing a circuit. I could search over this topic, but I really don't think there are any DCA people putting down DCI. Talk about 1 person sending a thread OT.

Still never answered my question, why do you post here since you aren't relevant anymore? Afterall, thats what you asked us.

Wait a minute there pardner...this thread...was about DCA being an alternative to DCI.

I don't go over to the DCA groups and start crap....you brought this to the DCI forums. So be quiet and take your medicine.

I am NOT a DCA koolaid drinker. And although the upper northeast benefits from DCA, much of the rest of the country DOES NOT.

DCA has a smattering of corps outside the upper northeast. And the California area...if they get their acts all together, may emerge as a separate circuit. Time will tell. But, until hydrogen powered buses get built or gas gets cheaper (over $4 by summer by the way). I don't see a world where 8-10 California corps make their ways to Rochester for Labor Day weekend. I don't see it.

So, if Open Class DCI corps want to make a jump to DCI, I believe it's a viable opportunity for them. I don't see any of them taking DCA up on it at current, but I believe the model has some merit for these corps.

Yet again, your wrong. There have been new start-ups this year and last for new corps. Will they field this year, probably not. But many have stated that is there goal. There has been a steady growth to the amount of corps in DCA.

So thanks, you've told us it won't fill the void. We hear your opinion, you haven't said anything else backing that up except false information. Kindly leave this thread to the adults.

Personal attacks now. Nice. and so dismissive. YOU don't like what someone is saying so YOU tell me to leave. Nice.

I've made valid points. Read what you will. Let me synopsize them again.

1. DCA is a niche within a niche.

2. DCA is mainly centered in the upper Northeast region of the country.

3. DCA has had zero attendance growth. (DCI has to admit the same phenomenon as well)

4. New corps try to start up, but most do not get going...for both circuits.

5. DCA may be a good alternative for current Open Class corps. however few seem interested.

6. Someone threw out misinformation about Marion Cadets going to DCA. Marion Cadets are starting a senior corps, but are still struggling to find members for their DCI open class corps. So, something here doesn't exactly make sense. I would advise them NOT to try to do both when attempting this huge comeback endeavor.

7. I HAVE seen DCA corps before in the Midwest, early in the season, and it's seldom, if ever a wow moment.

8. I live in the southwest and have big committments every Labor Day weekend which prevents me from going to the singel event that many of you say I HAVE to go to to understand DCA.

Let me add to this last point. Many of you are coming at this from the marching end of DCA. I get it. That's great. That's wonderful. Go you. I am a fan of DCI. I know...can you believe it. DCI has fans.

So, alhough I don't see a huge void, there may be merit to the OP. If Open Class corps want to make the leap to DCA. So far, I haven't seen movement in that direction.

Kyle,

In Tom's defense, look at some of the comments in the OP...I know Joey disagrees with me, but IMO there is a lot of DCI being put down in his original post.

Mike

Kyle,

In Tom's defense, look at some of the comments in the OP...I know Joey disagrees with me, but IMO there is a lot of DCI being put down in his original post.

Mike

and they bring that to the DCI forum. That's my point. I don't go down to the DCA forum and spew nonsense over there. Basically, go back home...where you belong.