DCA is "filling a void" left by DCI's Super Corps Model

Wow Fran. All I can picture is that last line coming from the pressbox, and I can't stop laughing.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So have a nice day. Don't let the door hit you in the ### on the way out, my friend.

Hang in there, big fellow. Non illegitimes carborundum.

I was kinda hoping he'd take up your offer for DCA finals. And hoping that he would sit next to me. And that I might have digestive difficulties.

Kyle,

If you were a part of the Bush '06 hornline, I'd like to say thank you for the gift of your performance at DCA. Absolutely sensational.

I am generally not a Bush fan,..............But I will say this, that '06 hornline was one of the best lines I've heard in my lifetime...............loved Fanfare for the New!

Speaking from my own experience only (some corps leaderships may disagree with me on this) but unlike most, if not all, DCI corps, DCA corps are not in it just to get a paycheck at the end of the season. Yes, that is nice to get and yes, the more the better. However, most DCA corps are in it for the fun, competition and bragging rights. Almost every member of a DCA corps marches because it's what they love to do. They don't do it to get a better job, or a scholarship or anything like that. They do it for the sheer exhilaration of performing and hearing the crowd and watching the competition. While we do aspire to perform to our best we are not and never will be perfect. We simply do not have that kind of time. Therefore, we instead focus on the enjoyment aspects of the sport.

Everything you say here is all fine and well and I don't disagree with any of it. My point is simply that many on this thread are suggesting that DCA is an alternative to DCI for corps who would better fit this model. I don't spend much time back east any more, but I would think without too much consideration that corps like Spartans, Citations, Raiders and Surf would definitely have a good time of it in their respective divisions within DCA. But... how would DCA feel about this? I'm not too sure that DCA could financially support another few acts in the northeast without corps willing to work for less than they do now. Despite whether or not the members are there for the thrill of performance or the friendships, etc., it would stand to reason that the reduced budgets of the DCA corps would depend that much more on show fees to subsidize their existence. Adding more corps to the mix would result in less $$ available for all of the corps, unless DCA changed its business model and/or expanded the number of shows it runs.

Edited by EndzoneEric

Everything you say here is all fine and well and I don't disagree with any of it. My point is simply that many on this thread are suggesting that DCA is an alternative to DCI for corps who would better fit this model. I don't spend much time back east any more, but I would think without too much consideration that corps like Spartans, Citations, Raiders and Surf would definitely have a good time of it in their respective divisions within DCA. But... how would DCA feel about this? I'm not too sure that DCA could financially support another few acts in the northeast without corps willing to work for less than they do now. Despite whether or not the members are there for the thrill of performance or the friendships, etc., it would stand to reason that the reduced budges of the DCA corps would depend that much more on show fees to subsidize their existence. Adding more corps to the mix would result in less $$ available for all of the corps, unless DCA changed its business model and/or expanded the number of shows it runs.

I would disagree with this line of thinking,.................some new/potential show sponsors for this year were told that additional dates and shows could not be added in the NE simply due to not enough compeditive corps (within striking distance) to fill out additional show bills..............DCA needs more corps yes, and slow, steady growth is the way to do it.............if you look at the all age show schedule for 2008 you will find many 3, 4 and some 5 show weekends across the season,........... that rivals individual dates on the DCI schedule for certain...............

Edited by Gary Matczak

I would disagree with this line of thinking,.................some new/potential show sponsors for this year were told that additional dates and shows could not be added in the NE simply due to not enough compeditive corps (within striking distance) to fill out additional show bills..............DCA needs more sorps yes, and slow, steady growth is the way to do it.............if you look at the all age show schedule for 2008 you will find many 3, 4 and some 5 show weekends across the season,........... that rivals individual dates on the DCI schedule for certain...............

i have read a few of the posts on this subject and one stood out: somthing about us "old timers reliving our glory days",the poster alluded to this in his opinion about dca corps...........well i for one am not reliving my "glory days"! my "glory days are all firmly positioned in the present!!! i have no desire to relive the past.................that was then.........this is now!!......dci is "pushing the envelope" so to speak...........well someone has to,and dci has taken on the task.where they push toward is up to them.the young people that participate get a quality experience,seem to be healthy and talented,and i would assume,are enjoying the experience. that is a good thing.as for me............i will continue to live for the moment!! and for the audience,and for the friendships,and for the fun,and for the comraderie all of which DCA offers its participants!

So of all of the midwest shows you go to, you have never seen Min Brass??????? Kilties?? Chops or Govies?,...................come on Tom.............

I think he said he has seen Min Brass, Kilties and Chops in an earlier post....just fyi.

I think he said he has seen Min Brass, Kilties and Chops in an earlier post....just fyi.

Yes as that's the post I had to search for yesterday. Only thing is Tom only gave his opinion on Kilties and would be interested in what year and his thoughts on MBI.

I have also seen Minnesota Brass at DCI shows in late June and believe me that is not what you see on Labor Day weekend. They are like all the rest of the DCA corps are in late June...with some rough spots that are very obvious and some things that are just not working yet.

The point is, unless you go to the DCA Championship on Labor Day weekend, you cant possibly know the quality of DCA corps.

Make sure you attend the Friday night gig (I and E and mini corps) where they close down part of downtown Rochester and open up the food and beverage stands along Main Street for DCA members and spectators to mingle. Saturday is prelims for all corps to decide placement, and then Sunday AM is the Alumni spectacular with the likes of The Skyliners, Caballeros St. Joes, Toronto Optimists, Boston Crusaders et al...Sunday Night is Finals where the winner is decided.

Check out the parking lots on your way out for free concerts from the all of the corps.

All in all, it is a great experience. Tom Brace...you really should try it one year. I bet you would have a riot.

Donny