DCA is "filling a void" left by DCI's Super Corps Model

DCA is much more flexible than DCI. No tour requirements, no age-out restriction, mini corps, alumni corps, class A, Open class, good I&E's, some exhibitions at DCI shows and lower general cost. I would say that it definately qualifies as an option. :worthy:

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip>

The point is, unless you go to the DCA Championship on Labor Day weekend, you cant possibly know the quality of DCA corps.

Make sure you attend the Friday night gig (I and E and mini corps) where they close down part of downtown Rochester and open up the food and beverage stands along Main Street for DCA members and spectators to mingle. Saturday is prelims for all corps to decide placement, and then Sunday AM is the Alumni spectacular with the likes of The Skyliners, Caballeros St. Joes, Toronto Optimists, Boston Crusaders et al...Sunday Night is Finals where the winner is decided.

Check out the parking lots on your way out for free concerts from the all of the corps.

All in all, it is a great experience. Tom Brace...you really should try it one year. I bet you would have a riot.

Donny

What is the likelihood that DCA Championships will ever leave Rochester (or at least move around)? I'd like to someday attend, but Rochester is a ways away for me.

What is the likelihood that DCA Championships will ever leave Rochester (or at least move around)? I'd like to someday attend, but Rochester is a ways away for me.

To paraphrase Jeff Ream, “You will significantly increase the chances if you put in a bid!”

The championship goes out for bids when necessary (when the end of the current contract is in sight). DCA does not contract for the stadium and other stuff; the organizer does. DCA supplies the show.

I believe the contract in Rochester runs for another two years. If you want the championship to come to Coon Rapids [take it from the top, four for nothing, mark tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime ……, mark, 1-2-3-4], “Put in a bid!”

Marion Cadets are going all-age in 2009, but, outside of saying they are going to be a "competitive/parade corps", there is no mention of DCA as of yet. They may wait and see what happens with membership first.

Quick clarification: I just traded emails with Tina King of the Marion Cadets. She told me that MC is in discussion to ADD a senior corps. The junior corps is NOT changing to all-age format in 2009.

Tina should be on DCP later today to officially clarify their plans.

Ooooo … oooooo … oooooo! I get it! I get it!

If a DCA corps has a high percentage of ex-DCI marchers, they you won’t like the corps because they are those sad types who are trying to hold onto to the days when they were the fullback on the state champion football team.

And if DCA doesn’t have a high percentage of ex-DCI marchers, then you just don’t care. And you still won’t enjoy the corps.

So you will enjoy a DCA corps if …? Uh, what the heck? I guess you can’t enjoy a DCA corps under any circumstances. The numbers don't really matter, do they?

No, actually you are quite wrong. If DCA was filled with "the old high school fullbacks trying to relive their days," I would consider that a bit pathetic and would not book a vacation to upstate New York to go watch a weekend of that.

But, if DCA is truly introducing HUGE numbers of people who never marched drum corps before who like the weekend drum corps experience, I would appreciate it more. I still wouldn't book a vacation to upstate NY to see it as I am otherwise committed on Labor Day weekend.

See, if the only difference betwwen DCA and DCI were the all ages thing and the weekend thing...I'd be all cool about it. It's the tired wornout, marching 7 different styles, living in the past, sorry...scratch that...living the tradition... of some DCA corps I've actually seen on the field in the Midwest that have soured me to DCA.

Again, I've said it before...I judge by what I see and now living in Arizona, I doubt I will ever be able to see it. I don't sit up at nights thinking how much I'm missing. My loss. I'll get over it. Done...already got over it.

So quick question, if you dismiss those who are in it to relive the glory days, why do you post on DCP? You are past being eligible for an active member, why are you commenting on DCI and DCA when you aren't relevant anymore?

If this is about those who are reliving their glory days, then it really doesn't belong in this forum does it?

It belongs in the DCA forum. Or the historical forum.

Mini-corps.

Relevant.

Phenominally entertaining.

Party atmosphere.

Hits the mark on quality.

Equal in attendance to DII/III Finals

Near perfect competitive outlet for smaller units .

Professional adjudication.

Scoring, placements and a revolving trophy.

Commitment and cooperation from DCA and MCA

All-age inclusion.

Weekend model.

Small budget requirement.

18 corps participation (bigger in numbers than DII or DIII)

Championship caliber.

Near bedlam audience response.

What DCI dismisses entirely, DCA welcomes as its own.

And the proof shall set you FREE!

and I truly believe that DCA should absorb much of the current class of Open Class corps if that is what those corps want. That would make sense to me.

But, I guess it's NOT what those corps want.

Where is it written that this activity is ONLY for the young. I happen to know a few "old timers" that can march and play circles around most DCI members. I think if you love the activity and can physically do it.......then go for it.

but I don't have to watch it.

That's my point.

You also forgot Govenaires. Between those corps, you have a perennial Open class finalist, and two A class champions. Unfortunately, they don't have many performances at a DCI show after early July so you're still seeing unfinished product.

You are correct. I have seen Govenaires before as well. Saw all 4 at a DCI show in Madison a few years back in Camp Randall. They were working on the normal show side so we all sat on the other side of the stadium.

And when DCM was still around, they had a senior division and I believe all four corps marched in DeKalb for prelims.