Independent Open

Musical_Spinner

We'll just have to disagree. I would say the last three years of IO champions (Interplay, Croatan, Code Black) have all been the easiest shows out of

the medalists in IO. ESPECIALLY 2005 Interplay, how that show was first place was beyond me.

I'd have to STRONGLY disagree. I would say that Medea had the easiest show of the 2005 IO medalists. That show did so well because of the staging. Interplay's show was NOT well achieved at all, and I also don't agree with it winning, but with all those crazy exchanges it CERTAINLY was not the easiest. I think you're confusing what you perceive as boring with easy.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to STRONGLY disagree. I would say that Medea had the easiest show of the 2005 IO medalists. That show did so well because of the staging. Interplay's show was NOT well achieved at all, and I also don't agree with it winning, but with all those crazy exchanges it CERTAINLY was not the easiest. I think you're confusing what you perceive as boring with easy.

Disagreeing is one thing, dismissing my opinion is another and being so bold to tell me I'm confused is another.

This is the sort of thing that starts arguments here on CGP.

I think Alter Ego is the group to beat. . .they are way out ahead of everyone at this point.

I'd say right now your top 3 are:

1. Alter Ego

2. Diamante

3. Ventures

4. Black Gold (sorry) :thumbup:

I think Top Hats, The Academy and Etude (gut feeling) will all be duking it out for the next spots. IO is very talented this year. It'll be a fight to get in the top 15.

Hi Everyone, let me first put out there that I've been an Alter Ego fan for many years now, so I'm not just jumping on some band wagaon.

After hearing a lot of good things about AE's show I got a chance to see them at the mid-atlantic power regional in New Jersey. Alter Ego by virture of their score alone is the unit to beat come Dayton. We have a few more weeks to go plus circuit championships. There are a lot of things I could say about Alter Ego's show but I will simply say that it is VERY good performed VERY well. Their show brought me to tears and I'm sure I won't be alone when the people in Dayton see it too. I'm hoping for the best for Alter Ego in Dayton and if they do what they did at the Power Regional I don't think anyone is going to beat them. Thank you Alter Ego...I love your show!

You can't. At all.

It's so much more real in person and touches every person that was affected on that day.

A little known fact (because I taught Alter Ego around 9/11) - the school where Alter Ego practices at is directly across the river from the Manhattan skyline. Their directors saw the bulidings burning first hand.

It's very personal to the organization and I think they do a beautiful job of portraying it tastefully.

As far as the errors, etc. Yes, the last 2 weeks they have not been very consistent but if you look at the numbers they won EVERY caption easily. And, sorry, love the Ventures but they had just as many inconsistencies in their finals performance Sunday!

I feel there is no need to defend anything that may be said about Alter Ego's show this year. It is simply that good and it is being rewarded for exactly that. Here's a scary thought....they put on the performance of their lives in Dayton which is what every guard wants to do; OMG there will not be one dry eye in the house.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

I know I'm absolutely no expert on all this, but the IO shows I got to see at finals (especially Alter Ego, Ventures and Black Watch) were all stunning. I have to say that Alter Ego is probably looking at the most emotional show, especially once the audience realizes the symbolism of the floor, the music, etc. (My group was sitting in the back so we had a harder time understanding what was coming out of the speakers.)

Either way I cannot wait to see the groups perform again at Dayton. It's going to be BRILLIANT. :)

what about the university of alabama?anne meara or something?

i enjoyed them like a surrealist dream fueled by absinthe.....o.k. for those on a budget try mixing dayquil and nyquil. :ninja:

let's start with their music;the unrelenting soundtrack is a wacky rendition of the doris day classic "que sera,sera"[you know from hitchcock's film"the man who knew too much" and then much later "heathers"] but this is more like background music for an insane circus.very hallucinatory,dissonant and trippy.

the floor design is 4 giant andy warhol multiples.silkscreen portraits of what looks like doris herself[from her "please don't eat the daisies" era and not the unflattering 1974 john denver christmas special at the end of her career where she had to be filmed through a vaseline lense and an entire roll of gauze].

using primary yellow,blue and red flags successively[pulling the colors from the portraits]the show moves along very nicely and is adequate enough.

many of you may disagree[and if you do you are worse than hitler]but i think this quirky little show is kinda fun and refreshing so thanks kids!

two questions:

1.will they let me bring my bong into the arena?

2.will they make finals?......

like the song says......the future's not ours to see,what will be,will be! :ninja:

Edited by dugg

i enjoyed them like a surrealist dream fueled by absinthe.....o.k. for those on a budget try mixing dayquil and nyquil. :ph34r:

let's start with their music;the unrelenting soundtrack is a wacky rendition of the doris day classic "que sera,sera"[you know from hitchcock's film"the man who knew too much" and then much later "heathers"] but this is more like background music for an insane circus.very hallucinatory,dissonant and trippy.

the floor design is 4 giant andy warhol multiples.silkscreen portraits of what looks like doris herself[from her "please don't eat the daisies" era and not the unflattering 1974 john denver christmas special at the end of her career where she had to be filmed through a vaseline lense and an entire roll of gauze].

using primary yellow,blue and red flags successively[pulling the colors from the portraits]the show moves along very nicely and is adequate enough.

many of you may disagree[and if you do you are worse than hitler]but i think this quirky little show is kinda fun and refreshing so thanks kids!

two questions:

like the song says......the future's not ours to see,what will be,will be! :ph34r:

I found the music on Itunes; it's by Pink Martini. Though the band must have something more than just a martini when revisiting this classic song!

The polka-dot flags are great, and were done by the Warhol-esque Tommy Keenum.

I too love the polka dot flags, and the girls are great performers!!

The music.......well......it just feels like old Doris got left behind at a deserted carnival. We all keep wondering when the guy with the big knife is going to come around the corner..... :ph34r:

Ventures didn't have great shows this weekend. But I'm still wondering if there should be a 6 point gap between them and Alter Ego and is there really only .2 difference between them and Top Hats?

I was at the Mid-Atlantic regional in New Jersey last weekend. To answer your question(s) yes there should be six points between Alter Ego and Ventures. And as close as Top Hats were to Ventures don't be surprised to see those two flip positions. This is before you even consider any of the West coast guards -- where do they fit in all of this. Taking nothing away from Ventures -- the show concepts of Alter Ego and Ventures are apples and oranges. Someone said it in another post; Alter Ego is in another league when it comes to the rest of their division. Independent Open has a lot of good guards competing this year but I'm afraid Alter Ego has put together a program that will be hard to beat. I would say those same exact words even if I was not a fan.

i enjoyed them like a surrealist dream fueled by absinthe.....o.k. for those on a budget try mixing dayquil and nyquil. :ph34r:

two questions:

like the song says......the future's not ours to see,what will be,will be! :ph34r:

You ain't kidding. . .it's time to cue up dark side of the moon and break out the wizard of oz! lol

Will the make finals?!? Hmmmm. . .I think it's gonna by a nail biter. . .usually I can tell whether a group will or will not, but I think this one is right on the edge, it really could go either way.

I did enjoy this show more than the northview sesame st. show on crack. . .ala 98 (keeping with the drug references)