The switch from PR to 2 valves

That was in the 90's. It wasn't until the change from G to Bflat could you really HEAR a difference, IMO. Bflat is richer, darker, and .... quieter. G is brighter, and louder.

Where are all the old bugles anyway? I had tried for 3 years to create a old bugle corps, but my recruiting suffered badly and we gave it up. www.pacificlegend.8m.com .

I still have a Getzen valve-rotor baritone that I used to play. It's now collecting dust, as I am using a King two-valve in my all-age corps.

Cavaliers switched sops on '77. Baritones were later. I think, 78 or 79. Contra's I think came MUCH later. like mid-80's but I might be wrong.

I began working with the Emerald Knights as equipment manager in 86. We had 2 valve King contras then and they were pretty banged up so I can only assume they were at least 2 or 3 years old. Here's some trivia... I'm not sure what year it was but the season Star had that huge contra line EK leant them a few Kings.

That was in the 90's.

…depends on which side of the pond…um…i read somewhere that europe had III's earlier...

edit for more research

Edited by lindap

Thanks for all the replies. As a follow-up, when did the change from 2 to 3 valves take place? I cannot tell by listening (either it is my untrained ear, or there really isn't that big a difference).

Corps were allowed to use 3v horns in 1990. I assume the rule had passed in '89. From what I remember the "one voice" rule was used again for 2 seasons. In 1990 Blue Devils had 3 valve sops, SCV had baritones and I think euphs. This is what I remember from the soloist close ups on the PBS broadcasts. I assume the one voice rule was done away with for 1992 because I remember SCV having a full set of 3 valve Kanstuls that season. Like I said, this is just what I remember from the videos. I'm sure someone who actually marched those seasons would have more accurate info.

Edited by Dash Fieldpaint