What would you choose...

I would have to choose between the following:

1985 Suncoast Sound

1988 Blue Devils

1989 Phantom Regiment

Was the 85 Suncoast show the broadway show?? "Get me to the church on Time" show? Yeah...I can agree with that. Also, any BD show that did recognizable or even "classic" jazz would fit the bill. When PR played, once again (broken record) recognizable, well known to the majority of us classical music they were able to sort of "legitimize" corps music to the non-marching music novice.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a crazy question! There are sooo many great shows and great moments within shows across the years.

When I am faced with this situation, it is usually when dealing with young student musician, so I try to keep it recent and what they might consider "cool".

That said, I would say:

2001 Cavaliers - amazing drill

or

2005 Boston Crusaders - "Ode to Joy"

or

2007 Carolina Crown - "Triple Crown"

slightly older I would say:

1984 Suncoast Sound - "Vietnam"

or

1988 Suncoast Sound - Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child"

or of course:

1987 Garfield Cadets - "Appalachian Springs"

From DCA I would go with

1998 Empire Statesmen - "West Side"

or

2005, 2006 or 2007 Reading Bucs!!! All Amazing!!!

older but still unbelievable would be

1975 New York Skyliners!!! WOW!!!!!

To narrow it to one corps and one show is soooo impossible!!!!

Disclaimer:

Any corps, show or year not mentioned is in no way an effort to discredit or disrespect any corps, show or year!"

This is my opinion!

I would have to show them something from the past. Before the Guard started dancing.

65 Royal Airs possibly. The music was so cool.

Then show them a present day corps and how drum corps has evolved.

Something with equally cool music.

I wouldn't want to scare them off with something classical and unrecognizable. Boring.

Then I'd have to show them a Blast video.

What a crazy question! There are sooo many great shows and great moments within shows across the years.

When I am faced with this situation, it is usually when dealing with young student musician, so I try to keep it recent and what they might consider "cool".

That said, I would say:

2001 Cavaliers - amazing drill

or

2005 Boston Crusaders - "Ode to Joy"

or

2007 Carolina Crown - "Triple Crown"

slightly older I would say:

1984 Suncoast Sound - "Vietnam"

or

1988 Suncoast Sound - Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child"

or of course:

1987 Garfield Cadets - "Appalachian Springs"

From DCA I would go with

1998 Empire Statesmen - "West Side"

or

2005, 2006 or 2007 Reading Bucs!!! All Amazing!!!

older but still unbelievable would be

1975 New York Skyliners!!! WOW!!!!!

To narrow it to one corps and one show is soooo impossible!!!!

Disclaimer:

Any corps, show or year not mentioned is in no way an effort to discredit or disrespect any corps, show or year!"

This is my opinion!

Maybe I should tell you how I got to thinking about this...I have been working with a new employee and she mentioned her husband played in a band called "Lighthouse". This is a 70's era rock band that had a horn section sort of like Blood, Sweat and Tears and the drummer, Skip Prokop, got his early drumming chops in junior drum corps, most notably the Toronto Optimists. She said how she liked that big sound this band puts out and I mentioned having known about Prokop and drum corps. So I have been going all thru You Tube looking at the snippets there...Velvet Knights, SF Renegades, BD and PR and all the rest and trying to decide what I will e-mail her that says, "THIS is drum corps". I have yet to find just the right choice!

Was the 85 Suncoast show the broadway show??

Nope, '85 was Florida Suite. :)

Empire Begin the Beguine 1991.

Empire 1994.

Donny

"One Fine Morning" awesome song. Didn't they hit big AFTER they broke up?

Maybe I should tell you how I got to thinking about this...I have been working with a new employee and she mentioned her husband played in a band called "Lighthouse". This is a 70's era rock band that had a horn section sort of like Blood, Sweat and Tears and the drummer, Skip Prokop, got his early drumming chops in junior drum corps, most notably the Toronto Optimists. She said how she liked that big sound this band puts out and I mentioned having known about Prokop and drum corps. So I have been going all thru You Tube looking at the snippets there...Velvet Knights, SF Renegades, BD and PR and all the rest and trying to decide what I will e-mail her that says, "THIS is drum corps". I have yet to find just the right choice!

Nope, '85 was Florida Suite. :)

AKA "the best brass book ever" :withstupid: