MAJOR announcement from En Garde...

To be honest, DCI did NOT strong-arm us into changing or status...we made that decision on our own.

Yes, there was some emphasis from DCI-P that we could not recruit jr kids....but in reality, the choice was ours...we were not told specifically "recruit and you aren't performing"

Let it go, guys...we've made our choice and are comfortable with it...time will tell when we return to the sr ranks.

Sam, thought of this the other day and got me wondering. What happens in Callie-land :lol: if a minor walks up to any of the All-Age corps and says "I want to join"? In this case, it's not recruiting but the young person decides this on their own. Is there any heartburn from DCI-P, is the young person directed to the Jr corps or asked why they want to join an All-ager. Or are they taken in with no problems and no questions asked.

Edit to Brian/Jocko: Definitely Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sam, thought of this the other day and got me wondering. What happens in Callie-land :lol: if a minor walks up to any of the All-Age corps and says "I want to join"? In this case, it's not recruiting but the young person decides this on their own. Is there any heartburn from DCI-P, is the young person directed to the Jr corps or asked why they want to join an All-ager. Or are they taken in with no problems and no questions asked.

Edit to Brian/Jocko: Definitely Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot

Actually, I think Renegades have a clause in their policy that adresses this........

Actually, I think Renegades have a clause in their policy that adresses this........

We all have that same clause out here for DCI-Pacific Region...

Well, use the "Poor Me" all you want.

I DO KNOW. That I lived in the South for a while recently. Not Exactly a Hot bed of Sr Drum and Bugle Corps. I know they BUILT a DCA South from Nothing. Heck they only have had a very few Jr Corps make it. Now they have a Div. that is GROWING every year. Heat Wave may have left us, BUT, now they have the Sun Devils to replace them. Florida also will be adding Genesis in Inverness,FL. The Presidents in Tenn. will be out this year adding to MCL in Nashville. Let's not forget Derby City Knights in Louisville ,KY. Not to mention, Atlanta area has TWO Corps. The Open Class, "Top Ten" CorpsVets and the A div Alliance. Also Carolina Gold is reported to be back along with Shen. Sound in VA.

Almost NONE of those places has a Big Drum Corps History. They did not just sit and wait for DCI or anyone else to say OK we can do it now. (Oh and by the way they may even add a FEW MORE. like Baton Rouge, LA Masquarade soon)

Then there is TEXAS. Again NO Drum Corps History. Look, they will send 2 or 3 groups to the DCA Championships this year. So add a possible 4th next yaer at DCA Worlds.

They may have 5 or 6 Corps by 2010. Could be a div of their own soon!!!!!!!!!

(Specialy if you add in Denver High Country and Parrie Sound of Kansas City. Maybe call it the Southwest Div.).

Look what the Minn Brass, Kilties, and Govies have done in the Centeral Div. (I know they at least have Drum Corps History in the area though). They are adding groups like Lakeshoremen. Cincinniti Tradidition will be out soon. Marion Cadtes are talking about going All Age and maybe oneday NorthCoast Sound. That would give Ohio 3!

But it took people like Chris Green and Vic Kulinski. Built what is today in the South and in the Southwest. I am sure they had help. But they led the way. But, they did not do the "Poor Me, We are way out of the USUAL AREA' Drum Corps things."

I know I was Spoiled. I grew up in New Jersey. A place where I could go to a contest EVERY weekend. From the end of May till OCTOBER. There was at least one (sometimes two or three) within 30 miles. Usualy less.) Then when I joined in. A goal was to make the TOP 5 in the State. (winning was almost impossible. Blessed Sacrament, Garfield Cadet, St. Vincent's Cadte of Bayonne, St. Lucy's Cadets, Audubon Bon Bons, and even Blue Rock, back in the old days). We saw and/or competed againest, New Jersey National Contenders every week. ALL SEASON. In my little Local Corps. I know Last and Next to last place real well. (imagiane coming in 15th or 20th at NJ States)

Then I always hear people cry about travel distance. Well. When I was in the Asbury Park (NJ) Hurricanes. in 1962. (You will note that is BEFORE, Casper Troopers or Anaheim or anyone else did "Tours"). We belonged to the Hudson Bershire Circuit. We would get on the bus at 6am. leave for a contest, and not get home till 7 or 8 am the next day. (Note no over night stay over). Just back on the bus right after retreat and head home!!! Every Weekend!!!

So. I have been around a while. Seen some hardships. Had some glory (member of St. Lucy's Cadets, Blessed Sacrament, NYC Skyliners).

So save the "Poor Me". Look at the Renegades and SoCal or Frontier, CorpsVets, MCL and COPY. To H E double hockey sticks with DCI and that kind of mind set. :lol::laughing: .

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni

I hear what everyone has said about how En Garde should have stuck to their guns, said "Up yours,DCI," helped form DCA-West etc. But...

It sounds as if the conversation went something like this.

"You're welcome to remain an all-age corps."

"Excellent! We will, thanks."

"Of course, we may find it necessary to re-evaluate the suitability of all-age corps at our shows. Beginning at the show three and a half months from now. Will you inform Renegades and SoCal Drem, or shall we?"

If this is the case, did En Gare really have any choice?

Robert

I hear what everyone has said about how En Garde should have stuck to their guns, said "Up yours,DCI," helped form DCA-West etc. But...

"Of course, we may find it necessary to re-evaluate the suitability of all-age corps at our shows. Beginning at the show three and a half months from now. Will you inform Renegades and SoCal Drem, or shall we?"

Robert

To be perfectly honest with you.

The reply to this is.

"IT SHALL BE YOU. AND, PLEASE MAKE IT IN WRITING!"

I would ABSOLUTELY love to see DCI come out OFFICIALLY & PUBLICLY and say to, SoCal Dream and Renegades. "You are NO LONGER allowed to be in a DCI show on the West Coast. because you have DCI Eligible people."

But that will not happen. Two reasons.

1 - It will cause a problem in the rest of the country. Where people sometimes use DCA to get into Drum Corps. Then later as they improve. they move into DCI. Like a training ground.

2 - They flat do NOT have the Nerve. Do not think they would want to start a fight with a GROWING Oganization like DCA IS. Both the Top Division and Class A are adding Corps Every year. While they (DCI) are having an evr larger amount of groups folding Everyyear. Just look at the ever shrinking Div I World Class. Div II and Div III had to added together to make a very unfair (to Div III groups) Open Class.

Not to mention. I believe that DCI and DCA have made agreements to help each other. Maybe not Officially in writing. But non the less. they do Talk to each other, behind the scenes.

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni

Robert

Were Renegades and SoCal dream represented at this meeting?

I can certainly understand DCI asking for some sort of friendly co-habitation if they were to have all-age corps at their events and DCA in turn asking for some friendly co-habitation in that at least I assume (I know I see Renegades are supporters of Blue Devils and Vanguard), that DCA supports DCI. One hand can wash the other so to speak. However, the statement above reads like, "you get in line, or we're going to punish your brothers - and you'll have to tell them what you did to them;" in which case, it seems that they weren't there. Is it normal practice for DCA corps to go to DCI meetings? And if so, why were the others (including Kingsmen who it appears want to have both a junior corps and an all-age unit next year) not present?

Edited by jdostie

We all have that same clause out here for DCI-Pacific Region...

Which is what? No under 22s need apply?

And the question which probably should not be answered: Is the clause there because of DCI-P pressure? Not a bash on the corps as you do what you have to do to survive (reason why lot of corps opened things up to under 21 year olds).

If so the idea of choice being taking away from the younger set..... well can't finish that thought without being banned from DCP.

s/ Guy who marched Senior corps (with a lot of same aged people) from age 16 to 22.

Anyway: Good luck to En Garde no matter which circuit (or no circuit at all) they are with. Sounds like a good start for younger people who might be missed otherwise.

Putting soapbox away for now...

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

If En Garde was to push the recruiting issue while a Sr, we might screw things up for Renegades, SCD, and Kingsmen....you think I want to do THAT??
Sam, you're now the Mitt Romney of Drum Corps - sacrificing your own ambitions for the betterment of the cause. :lol:

I wish you the best with En Garde Jr. Corps.

Sam, you're now the Mitt Romney of Drum Corps - sacrificing your own ambitions for the betterment of the cause. :lol:

I wish you the best with En Garde Jr. Corps.

Except I'm still in the race! The taking one for teh Sr team is accurate, tho.

I've been away much of the day, so I haven't been able to frame an answer...and I need to get some other work done at the house and get ready for a tournament I'm directing tomorrow...but I will be working on a detailed response to some of the above posts...hopefully will have it out by tomorrow evening