Pioneer Brass and Guard spots available

Just because I'm not as familiar with all of the practices of Pioneer, can I please have some clarification?

Do these church sessions take the place of free days, or are there free days as well?

If there are free days as well, can I ask how much time is spent per season in church by the corps?

The reason I ask is that I wonder if Pioneer is, generally, on the lower end of the pack in points because they are allocating rehearsal time to church. From what I've gathered, a total of roughly 2 rehearsal days is allocated to non-rehearsal time, and as especially towards the end of the season, 2 rehearsal days is almost 2 points on the score sheet.

Please Note: I am very weary about posting this, but my own curiousity of the situation got the better of me. I am not saying my feelings one way or the other on Pioneer going to church, but rather just trying to gather church's effect on the overall season. If I've offended anyone, please PM me and I'll delete this post.

At most, a church stop would probably take 3 hours. A service is usually 1.5 to 2 hours, and an extra hour to get ready/for travel time. I believe someone mentioned that during tour, they only go 4 or 5 times. So say, at max, 4 hours are taken out of the day. Yeah, that's four hours of missed practice time, but that's also 4 hours of relaxation time.

If it was hurting the corps that much, I would think that it wouldn't be a practice of the corps anymore. However, going to church in the morning doesn't make the entire day shot.

It seems that Pioneer is a great organization, and they put a corps on the field every year. They stick to tradition and that works for them. Like I said a few posts ago, I'm excited to see their show this summer. I'm sure those new horns and batter equipment will look great on the field! :thumbup:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We do not take off entire days for church. We would go in the morning, and rehearsal generally started about an hour or 2 later than usual, but we didn't go to church every single Sunday.

The corps will get an occasional free day on tour...but many times it really is only is a free 1/2 day as the staff does push at least a 1/2 day rehearsal on days that are listed as free.

The church happens only on an occasional Sunday while on tour, if we arent travelling and can fit it in. It is always followed by the best breakfast on tour...consisting of pancakes, eggs, sausage or bacon etc...on and on. The kids respond to staff quite a bit better than after they have had pop tarts for the fiftieth time on tour.

Hope that answers your questions.

Donny

They are required to wear green uniforms and play some type of Irish music as well. They are also entitled to good food on tour, their own buses, excellent instruction and a great learning experience that they will remember for the rest of their lives.

Pretty cool...

That is not even close to similar. Forcing a person to attend church is tantemont to having them line up to drink the kool aid, green no doubt. If the members could stay at housing and reflect or use thire own method of prayer it would be a different thing but forcing attendance is cult like. I think giving them the option would be great.

I do agree church is not why they are not competatively successful. It is choices that are made about shows, staff personnell etc. I am sure they have a great summer but don't suggest it is what it is not.

MEMBERS ARE NOT FORCED TO ATTEND CHURCH. I am am sure that if anyone has a problem with it they would be allowed to not attend. To clear things up....the atmosphere marching at Pioneer is nowhere near anything that would ever considered cult behavior as your post seems to be implying.

If your thinking about marching with Pioneer this summer, please don't let this turn you off of the corps. Don't let the fact that Pioneer has placed at the bottom of the heap for the last few years deter you, we are working hard to make Pioneer a bigger, better corps. Don't miss your chance to march this summer. We have brand new horns and relatively new uniforms, and we just got a new set of marching percussion.

-Better Every Day!

Edited by Littlehendrix

yeah most likely.

i never knew the corps required its members to worship. personally, i would never join such an organization, or allow my children to, but that's just me.

And I didn't allow one of my children to join a corps because church wasn't made available. So, we cancel each other out.

I am aware that this is a discussion thread...$1 to Nick. People have their opinions, they have their right to express them. Thanks for expressing yours.

It is not what you make it though... Nothing is forced upon anyone by the corps administration. I am not trying to make it anything that it is not. People that know something about this activity know there are shortcomings. But as long as I am involved here, I will still keep trying to make it as good of an experience for the students as it can be. And for that to happen, it would certainly help to have more members. That is STILL the premise of this thread. It is about recruiting kids to have a chance to be involved in a World Class touring DCI corps.

Donny

Edited by donnymusic

I am aware that this is a discussion thread...$1 to Nick. People have their opinions, they have their right to express them. Thanks for expressing yours.

The thing about opinions though...they arent all equal. In this case, yours carries a bit more weight, and when you say noone is 'forced' to do anything, I tend to believe you... :ninja:

It looks as though reaching south into Florida could have a decent payoff. There is much interest, and guys down there on staff now that are working hard. Kids are putting dues in, so we shall see.

Donny

Hey DA and DCPers,

I spent 8 days with Pioneer last summer and thought that it was a great experience for the kids. They eat well, they were given great instruction and Roman takes great care of the kids and staff. Having been with Spirit and the Crossmen the only change that I noticed was the numbers. I was as proud to work with them as any other corps. They worked just as hard, slept on the same gym floors, ate out of a similar food truck etc as every other corps. To make them a more competitive corps they need members. To make that happen they need people to go and take a look at what it is...not what people say it is on this forum. Experience a camp..talk to Roman (Corps Director), ask the questions that you need answers to and make a decision. I believe that if you go and check it out...you will not be disappointed.

Pioneer is a great place to march and what better way to spend your summer then to be part of a corps who is trying to reach new goals. Be part of the solution...go and check Pioneer out.

Jimmy Steele

Spirit of JSU staff 2000-2005 (Brass Caption Head 2002-2005)

Crossmen Brass Caption Head 2006

Empire Statesmen Brass Caption Head 97-99 and 08