2008 Glassmen present

The upside down "e" in the title is called a schwa. It's the most common vowel sound in English, and acts as kind of catch all, but is generally pronounced "uh" or "eh." So, the Gmen show title is simply pronounced the normal way we pronounce "carnival". That's why I don't understand the need to bother with the pronunciation key show title.

Does anybody know how the show's title is actually supposed to be pronounced?

Also, can somebody tell me for sure whether they're doing Elfman's music? :ninja:

Pronounced Karnschwanschwavel (I'd type it all out in the International Phonetic Alphabet, but my keyboard doesn't seem to have schwas, flying or otherwise.)

it never ceases to amaze me how incredibly bad drum corps are at promoting their product. a first year marketing student would not ever, under any circumstances, release public information without information attached to it. its so blatantly dumb, i just can't grasp the weird herd mentality that drives this sort of lemming-like incompetence. and it is incompetence, of the most juvenile sort that drives this type of thing. honestly, this press release isn't nearly as offensive as scv's pseudo show announcements of made up words and punctuation, or madisons "we'll post random clues until we get bored posting random clues, and screw anyone who doesn't want to drive to the camps" operation, but fercryingoutloud, how can drum corps, even run largely by volunteers and crusty fossilized lifers who have done nothing else but drum corps since they were teenagers, be this clueless. it amazes me. amazes me. and yeah, i'm sales and marketing pro, btw. and as someone who both loves this activity and knows better, i find this type of crass amateurism offensive and worrisome.

Yeah, it is pretty ridiculous when you think about it too hard...what's even funnier is just how many people are absolutly salivating to learn even those completly uniformative and poorly marketed tidbits (I'll admit, I'm one of them) and are able to conclude wihtout a shred of doubt that they'll be either the worst or best shows of all time. :thumbup:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

absolutely. it never ceases to amaze me how incredibly bad drum corps are at promoting their product. a first year marketing student would not ever, under any circumstances, release public information without information attached to it. its so blatantly dumb, i just can't grasp the weird herd mentality that drives this sort of lemming-like incompetence. and it is incompetence, of the most juvenile sort that drives this type of thing. honestly, this press release isn't nearly as offensive as scv's pseudo show announcements of made up words and punctuation, or madisons "we'll post random clues until we get bored posting random clues, and screw anyone who doesn't want to drive to the camps" operation, but fercryingoutloud, how can drum corps, even run largely by volunteers and crusty fossilized lifers who have done nothing else but drum corps since they were teenagers, be this clueless. it amazes me. amazes me. and yeah, i'm sales and marketing pro, btw. and as someone who both loves this activity and knows better, i find this type of crass amateurism offensive and worrisome.

oh, rewriting a word like carnival with misspells and hyphens is a little past its prime for show titles. dudes, either retire or get help, please. that wasn't even cool the first time a show designer did it, and it has not aged well at all.

Well it sure seems to have gotten you interested... I think its a great marketing idea. I believe when HALO 3 was announced all that they showed for a while was the logo (that game sold very well btw, I'm sure you knew that marketing pro). Wouldn't this be very similar to that? Regardless, I like what they have done with the show name, and I'm sure that they mean something by separating the 3 syllables of carnival. These people are professionals, if you think you can do better, do it. If not, wait for more information when they are ready to give it, and keep your misguided opinion to yourself. Yes DCP is for opinions, but what you said is just stupidity... IMHO

Well it sure seems to have gotten you interested... I think its a great marketing idea. I believe when HALO 3 was announced all that they showed for a while was the logo (that game sold very well btw, I'm sure you knew that marketing pro). Wouldn't this be very similar to that? Regardless, I like what they have done with the show name, and I'm sure that they mean something by separating the 3 syllables of carnival. These people are professionals, if you think you can do better, do it. If not, wait for more information when they are ready to give it, and keep your misguided opinion to yourself. Yes DCP is for opinions, but what you said is just stupidity... IMHO

actually i did not know that. i thought the initial marketing push for halo3 was a tv commercial, one with a weird, almost surrealistic blown out landscape, flash edits of monster bodies with howls superimposed over some sentimental string music, gradually focusing in to a central area where the largest alien monster was holding the master chief up before the alien horde as a conquered trophy, then focusing tightly in on the chiefs hand, which suddenly grips to activate a plasma grenade as you here the whispered word "believe" then melting into a quick fade out. then a logo. i didn't see any ads of just a logo. of course, this wasn't the initial ad for halo 3 at all, if you had played halo 2 it actually ended with an ad for halo 3, couched as a final disposition statement to end the transition phase of the franchise. this, of course, was highly informative, it let you know who the main character of halo 3 was, its location, and its central mission. the information had already been given, so in the tv commercials that followed we didn't need a real narrative, and the marketers devised a campaign based not on informing you about the product, but reminding you in a purely emotional context of why you bought halo 1 and 2 in the first place: the story, and characters, and missions, and gear, sure, that was all there, but the real visceral pull of the series is the lone wolf against impossible odds heroic mission/journey storyline/gaming experience, and thats what the ad conveyed in pretty effective terms. thats what a professional sees there, carefully purposed message delivered with smooth technique, an emotional and informational appeal, when taken in the context of the games total marketing campaign. when drum corps release show information with no context, and little or no information, they aren't doing anything remotely like what microsoft and bungie did with that ad. actually, what drum corps are doing is seeing a sophisticated campaign, failing (as you did) to understand it, and bungling the play badly when they attempt to mimic it in an entirely different context.

advice for the future, you can take or leave it, but next time you may want to consider sticking to either personal name calling or making an argument, instead of trying both at the same time. you see, if you use only name calling, you can claim it was a purely emotional response, and one that was justified (to you/at the time) by my original post, one you took offense to. if you stick to simply making an intellectual appeal, you can both claim to be above petty insults, and if you are later proven right you win on all counts, or if proven wrong or at least brought into question you can accept it as part of a dialog and modify your debating points accordingly without shame. but if you attempt to make an intellectual argument AND call the other guy names at the same time, well, you put yourself under a huge amount of pressure to be actually right in everything you say. you see, if you call the other guy stupid while you are in the process of saying something that doesn't make much sense yourself, well, you look like you do right now, and lets face it, no one wants that.

like i said, free advice, take it or leave it, right pal?

How did we move from the Glassmen to Halo 3??

And why aren't the Cadets involved yet???

:thumbup:

How did we move from the Glassmen to Halo 3??

And why aren't the Cadets involved yet???

:thumbup:

actually, as much as i'm not a fan of all things george hopkins since the mid 90's or thereabouts, i think the fact he is doing streaming video broadcasts on the internet from camps is brilliant, and while it's not particularly forward thinking its at least contemporary. which, in dci terms, is actually pretty forward thinking. i think a smart drum corps would stream everything, and i mean everything, every minute of every rehearsal with chat and forums attached, log it all in a library for easy review, even set up things like weekly streamed lessons with staff members so people who don't march (but maybe want too) can benefit from drum corps instruction during the school year. it would have an impact, both at auditions, and at the souvy booths. and its expensive mainly in man hours, the one thing drum corps seem to always have plenty of to go around.

actually, as much as i'm not a fan of all things george hopkins since the mid 90's or thereabouts, i think the fact he is doing streaming video broadcasts on the internet from camps is brilliant, and while it's not particularly forward thinking its at least contemporary. which, in dci terms, is actually pretty forward thinking. i think a smart drum corps would stream everything, and i mean everything, every minute of every rehearsal with chat and forums attached, log it all in a library for easy review, even set up things like weekly streamed lessons with staff members so people who don't march (but maybe want too) can benefit from drum corps instruction during the school year. it would have an impact, both at auditions, and at the souvy booths. and its expensive mainly in man hours, the one thing drum corps seem to always have plenty of to go around.

OK Now - You are making really good sense here. That may be against DCP rules! :thumbup:

Back to topic. Maybe I'm weird, but when corps release "teasers" for their upcoming shows, it gets my attention and interest every time. I'm speculating that there isn't a lot of hidden meaning in this one. Since the logo uses the dictionary entry for "carnival", the show will embody the DEFINITION.