WALL MART drops sponsorship of drum corps, remaining organization with

WALL MART drops sponsorship of drum corps, remaining organization without name or funding

Cites unacceptable results as primary factor

March 20, 2008

DETROIT, MI -- The WALL MART Virtual Corporation today announced it was dropping its corporate sponsorship of the Gypsum Board Brigade Drum and Bugle Corps, and is taking the corps name with it.

"The corps did not perform to our expected level of achievement," said James Smith, CEO of the WALL MART Virtual Corporation. "Their result in the DCP-I Finals was not sufficient enough to garner widespread recognition to our products, or the wall finishing industry in general, for that matter."

The Gypsum Board Brigade sponsored by WALL MART earned a score of 93.224 in Finals competition, more than 7 tenths behind the first place corps, Kosmos of Indiana.

The corps was able to earn the top seed in the DCP-I Quarterfinals, but remained in the 7th position in both Semi-Finals and Finals.

"For now, we are the corps of unspecified identity," said director Chris Rohn, who is very disappointed with the withdrawal of the WALL MART sponsorship. "We will need to find a new sponsor, which is very difficult to get in our activity. In the meantime, we will begin aggressive fund raising to assist in paying for our next tour."

The corps will depart on its next DCP-I tour on June 21 of this year.

Although the withdrawal of the WALL MART sponsorship is a blow to the corps, "we are fortunate to retain our state-of-the-art practice facility and line of 2008 motor coaches as a donation to the corps," Rohn said.

You're telling me! I was shocked when I got the call.

You're better off without 'em. I hear they're trying to field their own corps using migrant musicians from Latin America, and all of their equipment will be made in China :ninja:

The FC United would be glad to lend a hand to help this outstanding corps get through this rough spot.

I don't understand how a sponsor would expect an organization to just jump to the top in one season, especially with the fierce competition. Wall-Mart should have been proud to have had you guys in the first place. You ARE better without them.

No kidding. In the past I have had some sponcer pull out before the start of the season because of changes in the economy. Never because of final's placement or show design. One of our long time sponcers, Meijor's (pronouced MA'-jors) has been with us for over 10 seasons, even in our lessor seasons.

I will talk with my representative at Generous Motors. They will not be a major sponcer but they will be able to give a fair amount to help you in this tough time. We'll discuss it more in a couple weeks when the corps are at the Field House. I'll suggest a few corporations to you that will help in some way. I have heard rumors that Fred Motor Company, Clompuwear and Illyich Industries is looking to put some money in a strong local music organization.

Edited by sburstall

Thank you all for the kind words and offers of support in this time of need for our corps of unspecified identity.

We are weighing our options before we jump to any decisions regarding sponsorships for the corps and other operational items.

The corps is very encouraged as we continue to work hard on our production for this upcoming season.

I will keep you posted on any major decisions the board makes regarding the future direction of the corps.

Mobile Marching Arts Association, Magic Of Mobile, & Magic Of Mobile Cadets Would Like To Present The "No Name Corps" With A Check For $20,000.00. In This Corps Time Of Need, We Would Like To Offer Any Type Of Support We Can. We Would Also Like To Challenge Our Fellow DCPI Corps To Do The Same. If You Would Like To Join Us On Our Tour This Year We Would Love To Help Out And Have You Along With Us...

Sincerly ,

John Dunnam, James Waldrup, & Board Of Directors

Please Let Us Know Of Anything We Can Do To Help....