Quad in a Gyroscope, this would be cool to see in a drum corps show.

I deleting this post.

Edited by floatdude

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out the gyroscope I built for United Percussion , I mount a set of quads in it, I also had a snare drum in it too for testing, a drum set would be fun to put in it or a horn like a Contra.

United is using it their 2008 WGI (PIW) show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlEF21xpC4k

So go to the WGI Percussion World Championship to see it in action.

http://www.wgi.org/events/percwc.php

I'm sure a lot of people will say it...but Les Etois used a gyroscope in their show in the late 90s.

I'm sure a lot of people will say it...but Les Etois used a gyroscope in their show in the late 90s.

Yes. Les Etoiles' gyro contraption also had multiple tenor players in the harness, which made it quite impressive. The Les Etoiles contraption only spun on an axis directly forward, not to the side as this particular one does. Blast! also has used a gyro device in its production, so the effect has now been witnessed by millions. Theirs as well only spun on an axis directly forward.

I guess a question only someone witnessing this in person, (as I'll do at WGI Dayton in a few weeks), is...does the add to the show or is it a distraction. And that's something that we've been dealing with in drum corps for decades.

Les Etoiles did not use a gyroscope in the '97 or '98 show, neither did Blast.

If a group put ALL of their drummers in gyroscopes, I guess you'd say they had a "balanced" line. :ninja:

Les Etoiles did not use a gyroscope in the '97 or '98 show, neither did Blast.

That's why I referred to it as a gyro contraption and not a gyroscope, but more accurately, I should have referred to both as rotating harnesses or something like that. The only difference with Les Etoile and Blast! is that their harnesses did not rotate side-to-side.

And just in case Blast! didn't use one of those harnesses, am I thinking of Shockwave? I saw both shows so many times they began to blend together. But one of them used the harness.

Edited by Michael Boo

Check out the gyroscope I built for United Percussion , I mount a set of quads in it, I also had a snare drum in it too for testing, a drum set would be fun to put in it or a horn like a Contra.

Uhhh...no....someone puking through their horn would NOT be a pretty sight!