So for "All Age" parades are something to look forward to?

Actually it was Cliff aka MarimbaSaurusrex(sp!) to give create to someone I competed against.

Oh crap, totaly forgot about this pic when we were discussing the Olds Duratone flat/frosted finish.... :tongue:

And that's me second from the front with long white pants and cap. Cap great idea... Pants stupid idea as they stuck to my legs and made it hard to march. Check out me and fourth guy from end are out of phase.. :tongue:

The original pictures are all red overcast. Usually happens from high heat and poor fixing, like the kind you get from a processor that uses an inline water bath that isn't changed often enough. Takes a long time to show up.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original pictures are all red overcast. Usually happens from high heat and poor fixing, like the kind you get from a processor that uses an inline water bath that isn't changed often enough. Takes a long time to show up.

Thanks for the info. Now that I know what you do for a living, I know why you know this. :tongue:

Must of been the stuff I had developed at college as have a couple late 70s rolls turn out this way. Guess ol' Hills Dept Store in Indiana, PA was trying to cut corners while they were still in operation. :tongue:

There's been a parade followed by a field (parking lot) show in Havre deGrace since at least 1963. I remember that year the show included Blue Rock, St. Mary's Lancers, Dundalk Cadets, York White Roses, Westminster Starlighters and maybe another one or two. It was a fun challenge since the lot was only about 2/3 the width of a regular field. We'd march backfield and inch up to the edge until we could see fish! We always looked forward to that one and had bets on which bass drummer would get wet!

Best parade: In 1968 or 69 the King of Nepal visited the White House so all the military bands, units were ordered to form up at intersections along Constitution Ave. While waiting for the parade to start we noticed a motorcade approaching, got ordered to attention and, as the motorcade came to a stop in front of us, we played for them without taking a step. When we finished, they rolled along to the next unit a block away. It was great - a parade in reverse...and in the shade!

A 4th of July parade visual: Bowie Md., sunny, hot, humid, no shade, no breeze (you know the kinda day!). While waiting to step off we were checking out the talent and noticed this guy with a can of Schaeffers in his hand staring up at an American flag hanging limp from a pole in his front yard. After staring for a while he goes inside and brings out a chair, goes back in and comes out unrolling a long extension cord, goes in again and brings out a big old box fan. Yep!!!! You guessed it! He puts the fan on the chair and aims it at the flag - getting, maybe, a little ripple from it. We were entertained and got a nice chuckle or two, then just before we stepped off, we faced him and his setup, came to attention and gave him and his flag a salute and a tune. He and the neighbors loved it and it helped us make it through another long, hot parade.

Edited by sky

The Barnum Festival Parade. That one's been an annual event since before most of the current participants were born.

The fact that MANY things have been done before I was born is a running gag in the Cabs... When I joined, I was 14. :O

Yeah, that name escaped me when I wrote that post.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, I say this a little tongue in cheek. I can (now) see the attraction/fun with doing some parades, but back when I was in a junior corps . . .

Let's just say that parades were something we had to be able to do field shows. (At least after the first few, and you'd experienced the hype of performing a field show).

And some of those parades were blistering hot. I remember once it was about 110 (and I don't mean on the blacktop where we'd be marching),

we marched with corps T-shirts instead of the standard cadet blouses. Even then it was rough. And I only had to carry a little soprano around, I remember

being concerned about the girl (can't remember her name) that was marching with a MARIMBA. That thing had to weigh a ton.

So now, as an ol - er, more seasoned person, parades are something to look forward to? Wow, it's funny how the outlook changes.

In fairness, I never looked forward to retreat either . . .

A few things about parades:

1. 110 Degrees in the shade - Bridgeport 1984

2. Seemed like 50 miles Bridgeport 1984

3. people saying "Play a song" Our response "Buy a record" Bridgeport 1984

4. Feet fried hotter then hades Bridgeport 1984

Hated this parade and will always hate this parade. Its only redeeming value was the beer after that torture session. Really kids it was worse then Boot Camp!!!

But I do have fond memories of Nicko going "Numbers, Numbers"

George Parks was always very accomodating in this way. Every once in awhile we got the command, "Eyes right!"

and the whole corps would turn to appreciate a lovely woman or young lady along the route.

Although, I certainly appreciate a pretty face, etc., I found it awkward and a little embarrassing to do this. Ladies didn't seem to mind, though - it was all in good fun.

And Nicko would go "Numbers" "Numbers"

And Nicko would go "Numbers" "Numbers"

I am actually looking forward to Wildwood Elk's Day Parade as we have a wonderful sponsor (Elk's Post) as well as the Hudson Parade and Concert in the Park. Both are fun as hell... :thumbup: