"Trooping the Stands"

surley you jest.

No I'm not and don't call me Shirley

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly your accomplishments vastly overshadow a "wrong turn", but I just couldn't resist. Ya got to admit though, if I didn't get to it first, someone else would...

No Harm, No Foul.

(No Right Turns!!!!!)

From Wikepedia - drum corps classic...

"The corps then reconfigures into a single or double file and proceeds to "troop the stands" - marching from the audience's right to its left in columns close to the main grandstands while saluting, to the accompaniment of the drumline. Rarely, the

bugles may offer an encore tune at this time. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_and_bugle_corps_(classic)

Here is an old phart's point of view as a corps member,

The only time we did not troop the stands after our show, was due to lack of space. As a drummer, we loved trooping the stands, it gave us a chance to "show off." There is nothing we loved more than hearing the appluase and cheers that trooping the stands would generate.

I think some that are posting in this thread are getting confused between trooping the stands after your performance and playing your corps off the field after retreat. It used to be that everyone would play themselves off the field and salute the show winner. I have seen shows where corps play themselves off, I have also seen shows where corps go off the backfield to a tap and the fans are left to try and figure out WTF! Give us that last blast as you play off the field and salute the show winners!! Fans deserve to see that happen, and corps deserve to show off one more time!!

Just my two cents worth.

Scott

I think some people are confusing "trooping the stands" with playing off after retreat.

I can count 10 times in 4 years where we didn't "troop the stands" after our performance (4 years DCA and 2 Hershey Performances).

Now, not all shows were we allowed to play off after retreat (heck, a good 1/3 of the retreats were DM only). I enjoyed playing off, or, if we won, being played to after retreat. West Haven 2003 sticks out in my mind - Brigs were nothing but class as they played to us then played off (that was the show where we ended their winning streak)

I wish they'd allow more playing off after retreat.

But trooping the stands after the performance nearly always happens, and its nice to hear the cheers, people calling out to you, etc.

Is trooping the stands with a drum cadence still done at DCA shows?

The Govies will troop the stands again this year. We have lots of fun, and the crowd seems to realy enjoy standing, claping, cheering, and a few other things.

I have to admit that I did not know that a corps can be penalized for it. Last year in OHIO, the Govies trooped the stand after we got done with our "smokin" performance, and I caught all holy hell from Gill and his boys. I told him I was sorry, gave him a few drink tickets, he said no problem, he gave me the big smile, then gave us last place. Ah..... good times.

:tongue:

So yes, Govies troop

Edited by John Mayer

Maybe we troop the stands and maybe we don't. I really haven't taken notice of it much. It's not like it was in the junior corps days. Where you march on with only your horn and march off with only your horn, and to a cadence. While swinging within ear shot of the audience. Exiting the field on the side furthest the exit so you can troop the stands. There's generally a prop or piece of pit equipment you're also responsible for. And you're generally geared to exit the field to only one side, and not either side. Which prevents crossing back in front to troop for most shows.

If it wasn't for my one year with the Kilties, I'd probably say that there's maybe 3 times I've trooped the stands out of fifteen-ish DCA-ish shows over three years. Not that I've been counting. But exiting the field in DCA is more of a get out of dodge effort, not a strut your stuff thing. At least for smaller corps. Where's the exit, head straight for it. Everyone grab a piece of pit equipment. And somebodies push the drum major podium too. Where's the mellophone soloist? He's at the directors meeting. And somebody grab the sherman tank, dan isn't here this show. I actually look forward to shows where they give us the wrong bus and the call is made to leave the props and the drum major podium behind. Although going 1,000 miles with your suitcase in your lap to make room for drum equipment kind of sucks.

..and you're the only one cussing about it...how much class can that take?

[/quote

Age discrimination is a sensitive subject with me. If sucking up those kinds of comments without responding is showing class, then you're right. and I'm ok with that. ba bye

Edited by Mike_B