How would a Draft affect the activity?

I'm 19 and I know that, in the unfortunate event that a draft were to take place I wouldn't be home for too terribly long. How do you think DCI would fare under these circumstances? Any young man able body enough to march drum corps is able body enough to fight for his country. As an optimist one could note that there would be more all-female corps would surface. What do you think?

Edited by Vanguard07

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that in this day and age our young men are safe from the draft. From someone who both marched and served in the US Armed forces I can say that I derived a great deal of satisfaction from both. I definitely had more "fun" in drum corps but the USAF taught me even more discipline. I am a much more responsible person after serving in the USAF for 13 years. My only regret is that it kept me from seeing drum corps for many years.

I was all for a draft. I mean, not to slam, but pioneer could use the first pick. Get that big impact snare or maybe a trumpet depending on their needs for next season. I've heard there's a prospect coming out of Illinois who they have been already in contract negotiations with. But my other sources told me that the deal that Crown is offering, 4 guard girls, a 3rd round pick, and 10 custom marching heads, may be enough to get that first overall selection. Should be a great draft year and with next years draft looking weak, many corps will be looking to develop the young kids this year.

That's not what you meant is it? Darn. I've always thought I coulda been a first rounder. :thumbup:

I heard that college-enrolled students of draft age wouldn't be drafted. If that's true, then I think DCI would be able to survive. Although, I'm sure the corps would either be smaller, or the elite corps would fill out and the smaller corps would be much smaller.

Cavaliers could stay in business for the most part...

:thumbup:

OUCH!

I heard that college-enrolled students of draft age wouldn't be drafted. If that's true, then I think DCI would be able to survive. Although, I'm sure the corps would either be smaller, or the elite corps would fill out and the smaller corps would be much smaller.

I've heard a lot of things like these, such as:

You can't be drafted if you're an only son (or an old child?).

You can't be drafted if you were raised by a single mother.

You can't be drafted if you're homosexual

You can't be drafted if blahblahblah.

etc.

While all of these (except the latter) make sense I don't think many of them are true. I think if the military wants you and you want to keep your right to vote and suck up the countries benefits, you're going to be drafted. I registered for the draft about 2 weeks before I turned 18, so the day I turned 18 I was legal. I have several friends that refuse to sign up for it, whatever, it's not I that will be going to jail.

I've heard a lot of things like these, such as:

You can't be drafted if you're an only son (or an old child?).

You can't be drafted if you were raised by a single mother.

You can't be drafted if you're homosexual

You can't be drafted if blahblahblah.

etc.

While all of these (except the latter) make sense I don't think many of them are true. I think if the military wants you and you want to keep your right to vote and suck up the countries benefits, you're going to be drafted. I registered for the draft about 2 weeks before I turned 18, so the day I turned 18 I was legal. I have several friends that refuse to sign up for it, whatever, it's not I that will be going to jail.

My professor was talking this morning about a draft, and he said he wasn't drafted for Vietnam because he was actively-enrolled in college. That's why I mentioned it here. I'm not sure if that still holds true for today though.

Edited by i_play_percussion