How would a Draft affect the activity?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 19 and I know that, in the unfortunate event that a draft were to take place I wouldn't be home for too terribly long. How do you think DCI would fare under these circumstances? Any young man able body enough to march drum corps is able body enough to fight for his country. As an optimist one could note that there would be more all-female corps would surface. What do you think?

Drum corps would be for high schoolers. Touring would be minimal and corps would go to a weekend only schedule. Hey don't look for this mess to end but probably get worse.

I sincerely doubt that there will be a draft. I read all the DOD press releases, and every one of the military services (Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines) have met or exceeded their recruiting goals for the past several quarters. Army - 102%, Navy - 100%, Air Force 100%, and Marines - 137% of goals as of Feb. '08.

When you have enough (or more than enough) people volunteering to join the services, there is no need to re-institute a draft.

These are just the opinions of a retired 22 year military veteran. Read them however you wish.

Met them for the present mission. Don't kid yourself, this conflict in the Middle East won't end because there is more happening. Iran will suck us in and don't be fooled by Syria. George Bush made a huge mistake....he didn't read up on this area during World History. Thanks to George we will be over there for a long time. Whoever becomes the new President will learn that this will last for a long time.

I sincerely doubt that there will be a draft. I read all the DOD press releases, and every one of the military services (Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines) have met or exceeded their recruiting goals for the past several quarters. Army - 102%, Navy - 100%, Air Force 100%, and Marines - 137% of goals as of Feb. '08.

When you have enough (or more than enough) people volunteering to join the services, there is no need to re-institute a draft.

These are just the opinions of a retired 22 year military veteran. Read them however you wish.

Recruiting goals are one thing, but let's not forget that the National Guard/Reserves ground forces are doing a lot of tours in the Mid East. I'm thinking we may run into problems there and the regular Army may have to increase it's number to take up the slack.

On Topic: How it affects DC depends on how the student deferment it written into the new set of draft rules. May hit the age outs more than anyone else.

Hmmm, wonder how a draft might hit the younger and younger DCA set.....

:winky:

For the most part, I agree with you Brian..The only drawback to the numbers are those who are enlisting to be reservists / NG's. The 'regular' forces are the ones that seem to be coming up short for our recent deployments overseas. A draft being reinstitued would only make sure we have enough regular active duty personnel, so the folks who signed up for reserves would be less likely to get sent into critical / combat situations. And that the NG troops could go back to preparing for that purpose and for the domestic tasks that the Guard does.

BTW...I'm one of those dinosaurs..A DRAFTEE..Got my pre-induction physical notice 2 days after I got to vote for the 1st time...1972 Presidential Election..I left the 'President' spot BLANK...Didn't like Nixon, couldn't trust McGovern...looks like Tricky Dick got even...real quick. :thumbup:

Knowing my fate, I enlisted. At least I got a contract for training and a duty assignment the I wanted..

Lucked out and didn't have to go to RVN or other foreign places.

Brian - What was your MOS when you got out ? Or were you an 'ossifer'?

Pat

There will be no draft. The President is against it, all three candidates for the Oval Ofiice are against it, the Congress is against it, and most imporatantly, the military is against it. Think about it....if you were running the military (or even a drum corps), would you want members drafted against their will off the street or would you want members or were all volunteers?

Thankfully, this is not an issue.

There will be no draft. The President is against it, all three candidates for the Oval Ofiice are against it, the Congress is against it, and most imporatantly, the military is against it. Think about it....if you were running the military (or even a drum corps), would you want members drafted against their will off the street or would you want members or were all volunteers?

Thankfully, this is not an issue.

^^

This

From what I recall, they take 20-23 year-old men as the first "age bracket", which would essentially decimate the age-out ranks of a lot of corps. Now that might open up a lot of spots for younger members, but it would also potentially decrease the level of talent and demand, because the average 16-year old performer can't do the things an average 20-year old performer can do.

Who's around from the 70's when this actually DID happen and can shed some light on this for us?

Recruiting goals are one thing, but let's not forget that the National Guard/Reserves ground forces are doing a lot of tours in the Mid East. I'm thinking we may run into problems there and the regular Army may have to increase it's number to take up the slack.

I would say that the Guard and reserves are doing well too:

February 2008

Army National Guard 116%

Army Reserve 116%

Navy Reserve 100%

Marine Corps Reserve 100%

Air National Guard 109%

Air Force Reserve 100%

The Guard and Reserve were already 40% of the deployed troops "boots on ground" when I did my combat tour in 2003-2004.

Pat: I had 4 Army MOSs: 92A, 63B, 88M, and 88N.

1 Air Force MOS 921A(?) The memory fades after a few years.

1 Navy Rating: AK1 (Dont bother looking it up, that rating doesn't exist anymore.

I couldn't be an officer - my parents were married. :thumbup:

Having been in a start-up corps in the early 60s I believe I can speak from experience. From August, 1965 on with the implementation of large scale draft (50,000 per month) I saw the draft/enlistment have a profound impact on my corps as it lost easily 1/3 to 1/2 of its most experienced players by 1969. It might not have been the only reason, but it was certainly a major contributor to the demise of our corps. Some of us were lucky and were able to join the ranks of one of the service corps but the competition for those few spots was heavy. When the lottery started, my number was 13! (Luckily I was already a staff sgt in a great job.) I believe this pretty accurately portrays the quick rise and fall that many corps experienced from the mid-to-late 60s into early 70s. Many other established corps were equally effected.

Yes, of course, drum corps survived but one only needs to look at the drum corps rep site to see the profound losses.