Drum. Cult or just Addicting?

I was lead/Solo trumpet in my High School band from 8th grade until my senior year when I was also President of our band Association. The then Meadville TBIRDS had a parade scheduled the same day as our school band. Skipped the band gig and went Drum Corps'. The only way my music teacher would allow me to finish my senior year in the band was to go to bell front Bari. No regrets.

Cult, addicting, or just a way of life...?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I graduated from college (in July) my Mom wanted to have a big party for me in the old home town. I was marching with the Hamburg Kingsmen senior corps that summer. The conversation went like this:

Mom: "I want to have a big party here in the old home town the Saturday after you graduate."

Me: "I have a show".

Mom: "Can't you miss one show?"

Me: "No"

We wound up having the party, but not on Saturday - I had a show!

It is definately an addiction!!!!!! During my 40 year career I took a short break from drum corps in the late seventies I wouldn't even go near a corps or a show because I knew that one single exposure would light the fire again. Finally a friend talked me into going to a show with him as I thought that enough time had passed and it would have no effect on me, but was I ever wrong. I had been away from the activity long enough that when I ran into friends that night at the show they were shocked that I was there. When I asked them why they told them that a rumor had gone through DCA that I had a heart attack and died. We to this day still have a lot of laughs over that. After watching santa clara that night I turned to my wife and said I have to do this again. The very next week I was on the field. That is why even to this day you don't see me at any of the shows. all it would take is that one exposure to to release the beast again Jerry

It is definately an addiction!!!!!! During my 40 year career I took a short break from drum corps in the late seventies I wouldn't even go near a corps or a show because I knew that one single exposure would light the fire again. Finally a friend talked me into going to a show with him as I thought that enough time had passed and it would have no effect on me, but was I ever wrong. I had been away from the activity long enough that when I ran into friends that night at the show they were shocked that I was there. When I asked them why they told them that a rumor had gone through DCA that I had a heart attack and died. We to this day still have a lot of laughs over that. After watching santa clara that night I turned to my wife and said I have to do this again. The very next week I was on the field. That is why even to this day you don't see me at any of the shows. all it would take is that one exposure to to release the beast again Jerry

Spot on Jerry. When I left in 1969 after 11 years of competition I was of the same mind. Never saw a show again until I joined the TBIRD Alumni in 1992. Told the wife, at that time,......."Ya know.....that if I do this again I'm there till it's Dirt Nap time". Leaving the activity for 23 years was like losing my right arm. SOoooooo........here I am.

Spot on Jerry. When I left in 1969 after 11 years of competition I was of the same mind. Never saw a show again until I joined the TBIRD Alumni in 1992. Told the wife, at that time,......."Ya know.....that if I do this again I'm there till it's Dirt Nap time". Leaving the activity for 23 years was like losing my right arm. SOoooooo........here I am.

LMAO.... 1992 or 1993 (forget which) I quit following and watching DC with exception of buying DCA Finals tapes.

2004 I decide to go to a pre-season show at Gettyburg 'cause I was bored and wanted to see what had changed. Even told my wife that I might be back early in case it "still doesn't hold my interest". First corps out is Lancers who I didn't know had reformed. Guy next to me tells me about the Alumni movement which had been going on in my absense. :ph34r:

After a few minutes of their standstill I think "Gee I kinda miss this". Few minutes later it's "I REALLY miss this". By end of their show I thinking "Wonder how much time it takes to do this?". Ended up talking to a member and found out I didn't have to be an ex-member to join. Bought an eBay special to get my chops kinda back and joined last practice that year.

Funniest part when I joined was I left the house saying "I have no idea what's going to happen". Five hours later I come home and my wife just said "Well??". :tongue: All I could say was "Horn's in the car" and her mouth hit the floor... :tongue:

It is amazing to me how many people I have heard similar stories from,...............some have also left the activity out of frustration, to have dedicated so much time and effort, and not have reached the pinacle they desired, that when they left the corps, it was for good...............and never went to a show again.

I have to say, even though I'm just 18, while it is addicting it also can leave you with a big hole in your life when you go back home. It's hard to sometimes relate to people who don't know what drum corps is, explaining how you got so fit, where the hell you've been during the summer, and trying to convey the idea of 12 hours a day of hard work. It's really fun but really becomes a part of you which can be both good and sometimes bad.

I remember September being the worst month of the year for these very same reasons...simply couldn't relate to what "normal" people do. "What no rehearsals?" "No shows?"

If it wasn't addicting, I wouldn't have been chasing it for the last 16 years. The only reason I haven't marched in more corps more often is that I have moved to places that were, essentially, drum corps islands. Not a single corps within 4 hours of me in any direction. This year, I looked at my wife and said, "Honey, I don't care what I have to do, I'M MARCHING! By hook or by crook; beg, borrow or steal, I'm going to do whatever I have to do to march this year."

I have an old vanity license plate that I bought at one of the first drum corps shows I've ever attended that says it all:

Drum Corps: A way of life.