AIR BLADES - New Props from Band Shoppe

ehsguard

Yeah, so I saw the BandShoppe video, and all those girls did was toss! No neat moves, just a bunch of tosses. some spins. not at all showing what the thing can do differently than a rifle. . . .

Check out the link in quegrawks post just before yours. While I'm not sure I would replace a rifle with these, might be interesting to use them in addition to. Thus, adding a 'fourth' piece of equipment to the vocabulary.

I suppose if you really want to know how it spins and what can be done with it, get one and try it yourself!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is another video linked from the review on CGE that shows an instructor spinning the airblade which might give a better idea of a variety of moves as he begins to experiment with the equipment. www.colorguardeducators.com . I've heard a variety of responses as I've shared mine with other instructors. Many find them fairly easy to spin but express that they "feel weird" as any new piece of equipment would. Obviously since they are curved they feel different from the rifle in that respect and some have commented that they feel "butt heavy" when tossing. But overall they handle pretty nicely and I think it's great to have another design alternative to choose from!

Catina

I, personally, do not like it. It feels very awkward. I do appreciate the design of it and yes, you can do some neat things, but overall I would not bother incorporating it into a show (however, I'm having to do this as one of my guards is using them...... thankfully the other instructor is going to deal with that and I'll take care of the flag/rifle/sabre stuff).

Best of luck to those who choose to use it, but this new toy is not for me.

There is a picture of the Madison Scouts guard using them in a run-through over in the Scouts DCP thread:

Scouts pics

There is a picture of the Madison Scouts guard using them in a run-through over in the Scouts DCP thread:

Scouts pics

Hey Pat! How's the kid doing at Madison? Bet he feels great to no longer be a rookie! :-)

Carolina Gold is using them as well during the Halloween section of the show.

This past Saturday in Toledo, out of 7 competing corps, 2 were using the airblades...Pioneer and Boston Crusaders..along with Madison, that's three World Class corps using them...any others???

My opinion...they look fun in the air, look awkward anywhere else...seem to "fit" the NEOCOSMOS show Boston is doing...will reserve further judgement until the lines have cleaned up and then see how the blades look.

Barry

Revolution is using the as well.

Edit: I don't like it, it doesn't look like you can catch the tip on it due to the degree of the curve.......

Edited by Musical_Spinner

• 2 months later...

So, any new thoughts/opinions on the Air Blade now that we've seen it on the field?

FOR SALE:

Carolina Gold will be selling their set of 5 air blades for $100. They are used but in good shape. Anyone interested in purchasing them, please contact: ExecDirGold@hotmail.com You will pay for the shipping charges as well.

Thanks!

Edited by GoldMonster