Two corps enter, One Corps leaves.... a Champion

First off, if this topic has already been beaten to death (which it probably has) then I apoligize.

Monday night, I called a friend of mine after the Kansas vs Memphis game. We discussed how crazy the ending of the game was in regards to Kansas forcing overtime, and then winning the overtime period. I made the remark, " I wonder what would happen if DCI was like that." He laughed and told me that in 78, DCI told them that in case of a tie the two corps would flip a coin and perform again to see who would be the champion. What a wild ride that would be. My question is NOT who you thought should of won, but rather how an "overtime" could impact each corps performance and ultimate outcome. For example, one could say that Phantom Regiment was on fire during finals week in 96. Would the extra emotion/momentum of catching BD have an impact if they both had to go on again? And if so, how much? Or would the coin flip be more of a deciding factor due to the performance order of finals? And how much would the crowd play into it? This question could also relate to 99 & 00 considering Blue Devils and the Cadets won both quarter & semifinals. I used 96 as the main example due to the movement of placements Phantom had.

This post also doesn't reflect what I "think" should happen in case of a tie. Just one of those "ummm.. what if" moments. lol

First off, if this topic has already been beaten to death (which it probably has) then I apoligize.

Monday night, I called a friend of mine after the Kansas vs Memphis game. We discussed how crazy the ending of the game was in regards to Kansas forcing overtime, and then winning the overtime period. I made the remark, " I wonder what would happen if DCI was like that." He laughed and told me that in 78, DCI told them that in case of a tie the two corps would flip a coin and perform again to see who would be the champion. What a wild ride that would be. My question is NOT who you thought should of won, but rather how an "overtime" could impact each corps performance and ultimate outcome. For example, one could say that Phantom Regiment was on fire during finals week in 96. Would the extra emotion/momentum of catching BD have an impact if they both had to go on again? And if so, how much? Or would the coin flip be more of a deciding factor due to the performance order of finals? And how much would the crowd play into it? This question could also relate to 99 & 00 considering Blue Devils and the Cadets won both quarter & semifinals. I used 96 as the main example due to the movement of placements Phantom had.

This post also doesn't reflect what I "think" should happen in case of a tie. Just one of those "ummm.. what if" moments. lol

At DCM in 82 there was a 'march-off' between Phantom & Madison, but I don't know how they determined performance order.

Only if they duke it out in a Giant Octagon...Now that would get DCI some serious pay per view action!

Or have the corps directors fight in a kick boxing match. I know I would have payed to see Scott Stewart duke it out with George Hopkins :ninja:

-Weedy

The directors should settle they tie by a cow-pie tossing contest ... Seems like a natural choice.

OR

They could do the whole "Drumline" tie-breaker thing ... Including the big fuzzy qtip hats.