90's DCI

What year was the DCI broadcast where they hooked the tenor player from Star of Indiana up to the medical testing equipment? I am a high school band director and one of my students is arguing a point with his phys. ed teacher about marching band being a physical activity. Its for a paper they must present to the class.

Thanks

Scott Brown

Director of Bands

Northwestern Lehigh High School

And If I recall correctly they did a similar feature in 2005 or 2006.

What year was the DCI broadcast where they hooked the tenor player from Star of Indiana up to the medical testing equipment? I am a high school band director and one of my students is arguing a point with his phys. ed teacher about marching band being a physical activity. Its for a paper they must present to the class.

Thanks

Scott Brown

Director of Bands

Northwestern Lehigh High School

That was 1993, and the tenor drummer was David Reeves...if you need contact info for him, try Pearldrums.com, and look in the artists section...you can contact him that way, or call Pearl for his email address...they should have it on file.

Good luck!

And If I recall correctly they did a similar feature in 2005 or 2006.

Pretty sure it was 05 Cavies that you're thinking of. It was cool seeing how the heart rate didn't just rise there over time, but started that high as soon as the first note was played.

Pretty sure it was 05 Cavies that you're thinking of. It was cool seeing how the heart rate didn't just rise there over time, but started that high as soon as the first note was played.

Since the OP said "90's DCI" and "Star of Indiana" I'm pretty sure he meant 1993 :)

But yes, they did do the exact same bit in 2005 with a Cavies tenor drummer.

edit: sorry I misread - you were replying to Chris, not the OP. My bad.

Edited by Slow Adam

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help. Although I would have enjoyed watching all of my old DCI tapes, time just doesn't allow for that :rock:

Think there's any way we could do this test on someone other than a drummer? No offense to drummers, I'm just curious about the other sections. I don't think horns would work since they measure breathing too (unless they could hook the mouthpiece up somehow) but maybe guard?

Star 93. What a show. I just visited a certain video website and searched for "Star 1993." The videos of the drumline on there are absurd. The end of that show for the battery is just so... hype. They're playing at their ears for like the last minute and a half. I mean, yeah, there wasn't a lot of loud stuff at the beginning of the show, but they played so clean, and so under control, and the last minute makes up for any lack of loudness in the first half. So good.

Edited by TSRTS13

Think there's any way we could do this test on someone other than a drummer? No offense to drummers, I'm just curious about the other sections. I don't think horns would work since they measure breathing too (unless they could hook the mouthpiece up somehow) but maybe guard?

I think drummers were chosen just because they are the easiest to test for oxygen consumption, since they don't have much going on in front of their faces. Horns are hard for obvious reasons, and the guard has equipment to spin etc.

It would be easy to test heart rate for all three groups though.

Hey, that's not a bad idea. Playing and marching brass for short but intense periods of time must have some effect on the cardio-resperatory system.....hmmmm. :rock: