How old was the oldest member of an IW Guard Finalist

TKYR_FA1986

I know the feeling as an instructor... While riding to a competition with the mom who made the guard uniforms, I discovered I was older than her mother (so older the the girls grandmother). I am also older than the instructors mother!!! Yet I have a daughter, turning 12 this week, who hopes to march with them. But, I'm always out there doing their stretching and barre warmups with them!

It's hot... :tongue:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, you've peaked my interest...who is this woman who aged out of BD in 77 and was still marching last year? Obviously, I aged out with her.

I am back teaching guard again and loving it. I do warmups with the girls and am trying to get back in shape. Of course getting the hang of new school guard work is difficult, but I'm determined to learn. At least I can still clean the equipment work!!!!

BTW, my husband Mike (who posted on the last page) is the guards new conditioning coach and I am getting ready to start teaching him equipment basics because he really wants to learn!!!

Kathy is her first name. I won't give her last name. When my (now) wife joined THE guard and met Mother she said "You aged out the year I was born!" It was funny. Even Kathy laughed about it. Last I heard she was also taking figure skating lessons as well. I haven't seen her in pictures this year, so I'm guessing she didn't go back.

Vicki-- how are the other two? I figure one is Beyer's mom, but can't think of who the other one is.

Kathy is her first name. I won't give her last name. When my (now) wife joined THE guard and met Mother she said "You aged out the year I was born!" It was funny. Even Kathy laughed about it. Last I heard she was also taking figure skating lessons as well. I haven't seen her in pictures this year, so I'm guessing she didn't go back.

Vicki-- how are the other two? I figure one is Beyer's mom, but can't think of who the other one is.

Here is a picture from 1975 Blue Devils (the last year we wore the satins):

scan0003.jpg

Left to right is Brenda, Me (Vickie), Debbie? & the aforementioned Kathy. We were the 'imports' in the guard - all from the west coast!

Sorry, I posted under my husbands login!!!

Edited by Tansea

I thought about it last year and convinced myself I was crazy. Now, I'm thinking about next season. I live in The Washington DC Area so an Ohio guard with weekend rehearsals would be doable.

I was 41 when I walked off the floor in San Diego in 04 as captain of Sac. And the sad thing is, if I can get a hip replacement, don't think I won't be back for the 30th anniversary next year at the ripe old age of 46!