Who is the best "underdog" corps?

Let me throw out some names from the apst and lets see what you all think....

Sky Ryders

Without a doubt some of the most entertaining and fan friendly acessible shows EVER in the history of DCI. A perennial finalist in their era, who can forget their productions such as in 86 with the Wizzard of Oz, 88 and the Sound of Music and probably the best 12th place show EVER... 1987 and West Side Story. Even when they got serious with Carmina Burrana and Brigadoon, I still LOVED their shows.

Velvet Knights

Duh. The "Clown Prices" of DCI weren't anything to laugh at.... All those laughs we had came at the expense of countless hours on the rehersal field. Having friends that marched there, I am reliably informed that the 2COOL dudes and dudettes worked just as hard as anybody else. AND, to boot they always had rippin hornlines and some pretty bad ### drumlines as well.

Freelancers

The comeback kids of DCI in the 80s and early 90s. You could kick them but they just got back up for more. More often than not their perseveirance paid off in the end. Fold in 86? Everybody says you cant come back from folding (It had not been done yet). Off the line in '87. Finals in 89! 14th coming into Nationals in 92? 12th by a tenth. March Or Die!

Dutch Boy

Probably the most succesful coprs of the "Modern Era" to come out of Canada. They made Finals in '90 with a thoroughly entertaining show of City Of Angels. Whilst it killed me to watch them marching in "my" Finals spot, I had to give them props. Back in the day they always put out a quality D1 (Open Class then) performance and could hang with just about anyone in the lower half of the Top 12.

Crossmen

All I gotta say is Songs For The Planet Earth.... Enough said.

And now for a dark horse...

Magic of Orlando, The Magic or just plain Magic

These guys weere fabulous. Alot of folks thought of them as Disney's corps when they first arrived on the scene as a pseudo replacement for Suncoast Sound in 1990. By 94 however, they were DCI Finalists with a fantastic Cirque du Soliel inspired "Cirque De Magique". This was a fantastically performed program and was probably one of the most innovative programs since... none other than Suncoast 1988. Five more Finals appearances followed over the next several years and even when they didnt make the cut, the crowds still lapped them up. Here's hoping they can somehow get their you know what together and return to our activity!

We need to meet at Championships and reminisce over an adult beverage or two! I could not agree more with what you posted above.

Let me throw out some names from the apst and lets see what you all think....

!

Dutch Boy

Probably the most succesful coprs of the "Modern Era" to come out of Canada. They made Finals in '90 with a thoroughly entertaining show of City Of Angels. Whilst it killed me to watch them marching in "my" Finals spot, I had to give them props. Back in the day they always put out a quality D1 (Open Class then) performance and could hang with just about anyone in the lower half of the Top 12.

Dutch Boy made finals in 1990 with their Begin the Beguine (Frank and Sammy) show. they did City of angels in 1991.

Edited by bluecoats88

Best underdog corps?

If we're talking in 2007, then it'd be Bluecoats.

Any year before that including the 90s.....Crossmen.

Well, if we're talking all time, for me it's a tie between Suncoast and Spirit of Atlanta. Their shows (The "Battle for the South" as I always called them) through the 80s were a blast to watch and listen to:

12th- Spirit

13th- Suncoast

'83

6th- Suncoast

7th- Spirit

'84

6th- Spirit

7th- Suncoast

'85

6th- Suncoast

7th- Spirit

'86

5th- Suncoast

6th- Spirit

'87

9th- Suncoast

10th- Spirit

'88

9th- Spirit

10th- Suncoast

I love this Post! So True! :tongue:

Dutch Boy made finals in 1990 with their Begin the Beguine (Frank and Sammy) show. they did City of angels in 1991.

Actually, Begin the Beguine was 1989 (Cole Porter) The show was entitled Red, Hot and Cole- You are correct that 1990 was Frank and Sammy just not the right song, and yep 1991 was City of Angels. (edit for spelling)

Edited by neddy

Excellent posts by both skajerk and Cainan!!!

On the skajerk post - I also loved the "Battle of the South" that ran through the '80's, even though I was partial to the Florida contingent. They each made the other better. I especially liked '83 - '86 for this rivalry - while they were both more on the "upswing".

On the Cainan post, I would have left Dutch Boy off of the list, due mostly to the fact that I didn't get to hear them live in '90 or '91. The rest of the corps you listed also came quickly to mind. I really liked pulling for Sky, V.K., X-Men, and Magic.

OK, so I screwed up the years on Dutch Boy... Hey, it was a long time ago and I am getting old... Oh crap, you cant start going senile at 37 can you?

We need to meet at Championships and reminisce over an adult beverage or two! I could not agree more with what you posted above.

See you at the 50! You're on!

Having been in an "underdog" corps by the deifnition of the original post, I'll go with my home team. The Bluecoats.