Fever Inactive for 08.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the list of corps is here:

Schedule List

just click on the Open Class Quarterfinals text and it will pop up on the right

Thanks, having to find a way to Michigan City was part of the conversation I heard.

And the link has 25 corps (including Fever):

7th Regiment - New London, CT

Beatrix - Hilversum

Blue Devils B - Concord, CA

Capital Sound - Madison, WI

Citations - Burlington, MA

Colt Cadets - Dubuque, IA

Dutch Boy - Kitchener, ON

Fever - Modesto, CA

H.Y.P.E. - Hamilton, ON

Impulse - Buena Park, CA

Jersey Surf - Camden County, NJ

Legends - Kalamazoo, MI

Les Stentors - Sherbrooke, QC

Memphis Sound - Memphis, TN

Oregon Crusaders - Portland, OR

Racine Scouts - Racine, WI

Raiders - Wayne, NJ

Revolution - San Antonio, TX

Spartans - Nashua, NH

Spirit of Newark/New Jersey - Newark, NJ

Spokane Thunder - Spokane, WA

Strangnas - Stangnas, SW

Teal Sound - Jacksonville, FL

Vanguard Cadets - Santa Clara, CA

Velvet Knights - Pasadena, CA

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Would like to see the list too. And just for clarification will Open corps be at Bloomington the whole time or will they be in another city part of the week. Haven't followed closely because I don't go to DCI week but just heard someone say they aren't going this year because of distance to see Open corps and "more corps not going to be there anyway".

And this was before Fever announced....

quarterfinals/prelims are in Michigan City. Semifinals and finals are in Bloomington

quarterfinals/prelims are in Michigan City. Semifinals and finals are in Bloomington

Thanks, just looked at mapquest and unless I put in the wrong state it's a 3 hour drive between MC and Bloomie. Think that was the complain with the person I overheard as DCI Week is the only time they can see DCI corps live ("joys" of working for a living) and want to see all the corps.

IMO, real shame for the corps that wil perform at MC and not make the next round at Bloomie. Having been in a rebuilding corps that can give you a "no one give's a #### about us" feeling. :rolleyes:

Thanks, just looked at mapquest and unless I put in the wrong state it's a 3 hour drive between MC and Bloomie. Think that was the complain with the person I overheard as DCI Week is the only time they can see DCI corps live ("joys" of working for a living) and want to see all the corps.

IMO, real shame for the corps that wil perform at MC and not make the next round at Bloomie. Having been in a rebuilding corps that can give you a "no one give's a #### about us" feeling. :rolleyes:

It would only give you that feeling if you and you and your corps let it. Michigan City is a great drum corps town with a perfect venue for a big open class competition such as this. It is sad to think that someone would allow the results of a show or the location of the show effect how they feel about that performance or an entire season. You cant please everyone, but the decision to have this event in Michigan City is a good one for the corps. Now if there is a corps upset about not making it to the next round(s) in Bloomington, they I suggest they start working a little harder :)

Edited by ItsOnTheField

This is really sad news, but I truly hope that Fever can come back stronger and more organized. As someone who watched their drum corps fold the year after aging out, it really does leave a void where your corps home belongs, but keep faith! Groups have come back from this, just maintain your relationships with the members of your corps family while you're separated. :^)

on another note...

Michigan City really is a great venue, I really enjoyed it both times I was there for focus shows. The audience was great then, and I can only imagine that it will be even better for finals week!

Just to clarify, my post was not a slam on Michigan City.

However I do have to question the reasoning for having the first round for Open Class so bleepin' far away from everything else. Probably a reason has been given but I have to think DCI could have a found a properly sized venue closer than 3 or so hours away. The distance is what would give me a "who cares" feeling....

Then again maybe some local folks will show up for MC that were not planning to rent rooms or go to Bloomie. The more (fans) the merryier for the smaller corps. :rolleyes:

And the "rebuilding" corps that I referred to earlier had been inactive the year before so I can feel for Fever and other corps. Our goal for that season was just to get a corps on the field at DCA to show we were still alive. And any support we got from the stands was almost the only support we felt.

Of course big difference today is members are more likely to go far distances to march which makes it harder for inactive/rebuilding corps to find members to join. Doubt if many people today would be willing to "burn" a season to do only two shows for the future good of the corps.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Jim,

Michigan City was picked because it is a great venue and the city welcomed Open class with open arms. With championships at the time scheduled for Indy, the location was not that far away. With the support Open class (II/III) recieved from the city in the past, they would be fools not to continue growing that market. Many community members attended that show when it was just a focus two day event and the crowd in the stands was huge in comparison to prelims for II/III in any other year. Having all those corps compete in a smaller venue with a larger audience will be a much better expirence then a larger stadium and smaller audience. With Semi's and Finals still planned out for Bloomington, the tie in with World class is there. Hopfully some community members will follow the Open Class corps to Bloomington and make those events successful for 2008 and beyond.

To Fever!

Hurry back - you will be missed on the road in 2008! It can be done just keep the faith! Sometimes you work harder in an inactive year more than when you are active.

Thanks!

OK, MC not that far from the original Indy site makes sense....

And key words are "larger audience". Personally size of the stands made no difference to me. It was the number of tails in the seats and how much response they gave. And if anyone checks my sig, RCA and ICA were the circuits for smaller Senior corps. (Benn there, done that, kinda :rolleyes: )

Thanks for the info and good luck to all Open corps.