Fever Inactive for 08.

Even more effort is needed in that department? DCI should now become chartered as a university so it can teach people how to run a business?

What you seem to be implying is that "the activity" should be dumbed down so it wouldn't be so hard to run a corps.

I'm not even sure what you mean by "dumbed down", much less why you read that into my message. Nevertheless, I would likely favor a "dumbed down" drum corps activity over an extinct one that maintained their standards for a few final seasons.

That is not the only option, though. For instance, addressing the shortage of capable corps administrators by 'recruiting' adults would be a way in which DCI could try to strengthen their current operating model without "dumbing down" anything.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to remember this corps having members posted at the exit gate in Brockton, Mass., begging for spare change to get home. I'm not sure how that ranks as an "incredible" past season.

Competition does not equal success.

WOAH!

IF that happened, it was because THEY were out of money.

as every corps does, we have had many $ struggles, but we NEVER sent members to beg at shows.

another part of the problem this year is that the president of the Board of Directors has resigned and there is a new director. this restructuring of the organization has also led to going inactive for the season.

part of why many members jumped ship was because the tour fees were to stay at $1,100 for the season. most did not wish to pay that amount and left.

I seem to remember this corps having members posted at the exit gate in Brockton, Mass., begging for spare change to get home. I'm not sure how that ranks as an "incredible" past season.

Competition does not equal success.

If that actually happened there is no excuse for poor management like that. I will not believe though that that happened as already read, a long time member of Fever refused that ever happening in a previous post. I have come across corps in more debt than Fever seems to be in now who manage to bring their kids home at the end of the season without anything as ridiculous as that. It does not take begging and i guarantee the Fever management staff did not think that was their last and only resort if this was the situation.

Anyway... Fever's 04 and 05 programs were terrific. I never had a chance to see 2006 or 2007 though. 2004 and 2005: Quality stuff right there. Great show designs and always very well executed. I wish more teams could put out corps like Fever put out.

...For instance, addressing the shortage of capable corps administrators by 'recruiting' adults would be a way in which DCI could try to strengthen their current operating model without "dumbing down" anything.

So, once again, you need to replace "DCI" with the words "The corps comprising the association known as DCI." You should realize by know that what exists in Indy (formerly Addison and Lombard), is an office which is set up to "run the business" as determined by the members of the association. The association itself doesn't have the werewithal nor the obligation to recruit anyone beyond that which they are directed to do by the board of directors.

Thus, in essence, you're saying that the corps should get together to recruit more qualified adults to run the corps.

Don't you think that if they could do that, they already would be?

From the Mystakal site:

"From The Desk of The Director

April 25, 2008 – Mystikal Youth Arts Organization is requesting that the Corps Director post a memo on the website to keep our fans and members current with the latest happenings with the corps. I feel this is a great time to post one due to the many rumors floating around about Mystikal. The corps is still in existence and will be fielding a corps this year. Yes, we are not going to finals this year. The reason is that we wanted to support the shows in our region and build a more solid infrastructure to support a national tour.

We did a few bumps at the beginning of the season with the Percussion Staff. We now have a new percussion staff that is one of the best around California. The Visual Staff is still in place and is waiting to start drill. The Brass and Guard Staff is slightly changing some staff members. This will not affect our final product.

The corps did have some scheduling problems with rehearsal sites. But that has been corrected and will be on a regular schedule now. With the hard times with the economy, we are trying to save money any way we can for the season. I think all corps are feeling the situation as Mystikal. This leads to the next statement. Our membership is low at the current time. But that is the case this time of year. The youth in Southern California have so many opportunities that marching is not a “Got to do”. We do have to members from Japan that has been accepted into the corps and will be arriving before the Memorial Camp. We have members from San Diego Area all the way up to Santa Barbara and out to Riverside.

In closing, I wish everyone a blessed weekend and please be safe in your travels where ever it may take you. Please remember that the corps belongs to the community. Volunteers and donations are always needed.

Sincerely yours,

Rob Lowery

Director"

So, how many Open Class corps are now left going to Bloomington?

Edited by kansasDC

I was actually looking forward to seeing Fever this summer. This sucks; hopefully they can do fundraising/parades through out the summer and next year and get some of that debt paid off and come back strong next year. Too many corps are folding, someone needs to do something, even if it’s just hold their own fundraisers and donate the money to a corps so they can get back out on the field. But like stated before, in Canada it's not so much the lack of money that is holding corps back, it’s the lack of members.

I realize that this thread isn't about Mystikal but I don't think they were planning on going to finals from the start of this season. I don't think they were ever on the schedule on dci.org for finals week.

To answer your question: I believe there are 20 World Class, 23 Open Class, and 2 International all going to Bloomington. Subject to change I'm sure.

Last Year: 22 World Class, 21 Open Class, 1 International

Wow, Fever is, not fielding, Mystikal isn't going to finals, this is getting pretty crazy.

Well the best of luck to Fever, I have always really enjoyed your shows.

Also if anyone in Fever still wants to march and wants to go to finals, Yamato is still looking for members in brass guard and the bassline.

Edited by Kroxxx567