Fever Inactive for 08.

Here's what I will say about the Fever situation.

From what I read on here, Fever didn't go inactive because of a $60K debt.

They went inactive because their "kids" left for other corps when they heard about the season's plans.

The management of the corps failed to connect with the current membership in the delivery of "the bad news."

See, similar situations have happened like this. I don't know the financial situation of Capital Sound, but last year, they had to deliver "bad news" to their kids about not going to California for finals. Did their members leave? I heard of few if any that left. They delivered the news well. They built on the bad news and were applauded by many on DCP for their decisions and how they handled themselves.

See...bad news has to be delivered carefully, especially to a young, emotionally charged audience of "kids." It is apparent the corps' management failed to take at least some of this reaction into account before delivering the message to their kids.

Just my 2 cents.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

like i said before, many left because they didn't want to pay $1,000 for a half season.

in 03, when we did that, we only payed $500. i think if they would have lowered the fees, they would have kept more members.

like, i wasn't going to march this year, anyways. i don't have the money at all. it just sucks because i have to worry about my home no longer existing for my ageout year...

Tom--you're probably right. And yes, as I was involved with Capital Sound last year, it was taken well by those kids, mainly because of the care and love and wherewithall of their director, Marc Gofstein. As for Fever, I'm DEEPLY disappointed. I'm a huge advocate of Division II/III...er, sorry...OPEN, and I feel like I've lost an important part of the activity when any Open Class group goes inactive.

Sorry to say this--but if DCI was in control of fuel prices, than we could blame them at least to some degree for this. But as with EVERYTHING nowadays, things are just more expensive across the board. And because of that, you either know your limitations and manage your assets and liabilities accordingly and get to go to Indiana, or, you don't, and you either do local tour only or worse, you just go belly up. With few notable exceptions, most corps don't come back from this action.

Well Fever...you guys have been great. Thanks for giving it the ol' one two...hope your kids that bailed are marching and not sitting home sulking.

Tom--you're probably right. And yes, as I was involved with Capital Sound last year, it was taken well by those kids, mainly because of the care and love and wherewithall of their director, Marc Gofstein. As for Fever, I'm DEEPLY disappointed. I'm a huge advocate of Division II/III...er, sorry...OPEN, and I feel like I've lost an important part of the activity when any Open Class group goes inactive.

Sorry to say this--but if DCI was in control of fuel prices, than we could blame them at least to some degree for this. But as with EVERYTHING nowadays, things are just more expensive across the board. And because of that, you either know your limitations and manage your assets and liabilities accordingly and get to go to Indiana, or, you don't, and you either do local tour only or worse, you just go belly up. With few notable exceptions, most corps don't come back from this action.

Well Fever...you guys have been great. Thanks for giving it the ol' one two...hope your kids that bailed are marching and not sitting home sulking.

I second the Marc Gofstein comments. Marc did an outstanding job last year and should be considered for Open Class Director of the Year based on what I've heard and read from Madison both last season and this season thus far.

Wow, and this...from a guy who most think hates II/III, I mean Open Class.

I also agree with another poster...if the corps is not going to finals and staying regionally, the fees should be reduced. The corps should have a Board of Directors and it is these persons who should bear the responsibility of their job by going out and raising the necessary funding to handle the shortfall. This is true of any corps out there. Too often the increases in costs are unduly handed off to the members in increased tuition and fees.

And I understand with the passage of California's tribal gaming laws, raising funds in CA just got a whole lot worse.

One more thing while I think about it. Last Thursday's NYT. Great article. Well worth the read.

So, once again, you need to replace "DCI" with the words "The corps comprising the association known as DCI."

Why?

You should realize by know that what exists in Indy (formerly Addison and Lombard), is an office which is set up to "run the business" as determined by the members of the association. The association itself doesn't have the werewithal nor the obligation to recruit anyone beyond that which they are directed to do by the board of directors.

And the BOD can direct them to employ any of several initiatives designed to attract more adults to the administrative end of the drum corps activity. Or, as you suggest, the corps themselves can do it. Or both.

Don't you think that if they could do that, they already would be?

I'm not making that assumption.

In a very long conversation with Mark Tillotson this morning, there are many rumors that are just that "rumors".....and yes, he is aware of my posting here today. I have his "blessing" sort of speak.

We at the VK Youth Arts Organization, have tremendous love and respect for the Fever organization. We have developed a close relationship with some of their board members, even before we had the oppotunity to bring VK back on the field.

Yes, they are going inactive, to re-organize, and bring back a solid organization, where the youth of the Central Valley can come back, and call Fever their home once again. Some, and he said few, members did leave to find another place to march this season, but many are also willing to help out in ANY WAY they can. Some of their members, and I tip my hat off to them, are willing to step it up a notch, along with their parents and friends, and do whatever it will take to bring it back, reorganized, and strong. Some members of the board are new, but are willing to give it their all to make it work as well.

Fever has now developed some very good relationships with not just the community they are involved with, but the school districts around them. These kind of relationships take time.....and that's whay they need, time to sit back, take a look at the entire picture, and reorganize. Whether or not the news was communicated in a professional manner, or not, none of us were there, that I have read so far.....therefore, it doesn't matter. This is a move that NEEDED to be made...period. They know it, their members know it, their supporters know it, and the vendors and sponsors know it as well.........I commend them for taking this painful step.

What can we do from the "other side of the fence" sort of speak........is give them ALL the support we can, in any way we can. Maybe even just some kind words of encouragement.......whatever it is, do support this wise move on their part.

Good luck Fever.........come on back strong.......and soon. You know we at VK support you!!!

Great post Mayra--thank you for the update. And thank you for spelling out the one issue that I know has been a thorn in the side of the whole drum corps scene for so many years. And that of course is the "relationship" with the regions music education crowd, or specifically, the high school band director and/or administrators. I come from the old VK that some how made into an art form to #### off a lot of band directors, and I'm sure the new VK is having to relive some of my old corps past indiscretions. But in any event, I know having served on boards with PC and Impulse that having that--what we call--BUY IN by the local directors is important. Not only as a recruiting tool, but just from a resource side of doing business.

It's also very cool to see that VK and Fever had a special bond...I hope the supporters and members of Fever know that your absence WILL be felt, and I personally was a big fan of you all last year. And I hope you DO prove me wrong and go against the statistical trend, and that you come back in 2010 stronger than ever.

So, probably a mistake, but I'm going to try again :thumbs-up:

First of all -- whatever the reasons, whatever the situation -- best of luck to Fever in moving forward.

Second -- good comments (as usual!!) by Tom about communication. Have no idea if anything could have helped, but good advice for the future anyway!!!

And Thirdly, back to my original point. I find it humourous that no matter how banal or objective you try to post something (twice!!!), it gets mis-spun into "Evil Empire" DCI or "poor, little, helpless" corps or whatever. How 'bout we just take my words at their face value instead of trying to out-spin each other? I stated quite clearly that these type of things are usually a combination of forces at work (less than stellar management, the economy, the competitive environment, etc., etc. etc.). There is enough "blame" to go around and probably potential salvation from more than one angle. My point had nothing to do with any of that. My point is that corps are going inactive. Yes, MikeD, I agree that has always happened. As you point out, though, new corps are not forming to replace them. Let's forget about blame and talk about what we do to reverse the trend.

I never mentioned DCI in my first post, nor did I mention corps managment. To spin what I said as absolving or blaming either is simply that -- spin. Please don't put meaning into my words that aren't here explicitly. What I am calling for is to stop looking at each corps "inactivation" as a seperate event but to look for the commonalities among them. Sure, they all happen for a different mix of reasons and can certainly be viewed as distinct happenings because of that. What I am suggesting is that we admit that there is a trend and start to think about what we do next to reverse that trend. And be "we" I mean all of us -- fans, members, parents, corps, DCI, sponsors, everyone.

I believe that the loss of corps is the single biggest threat to the activity (whatever the myriad of reasons). I believe that this should be the overarching issue that permeates every decision made going forward. Rules changes, show locations, corps management decisions, sponsorship decisions, etc, etc, should all be in line with a short-term/long-term strategy for growth and should all be viewed through that prism.

I don't have time or energy for blaming and I have never blamed DCI or corps management explicity or exclusively. But we're here where we are now and I feel it's time to face this challenge head on. It's not the same as it always was -- we're losing corps and I believe we are at a tipping point that needs to be addressed positively moving forward.

Sorry for the long post -- and as I said up front -- best of luck to Fever -- do what you need to do and hopefully we can all figure out a way to help you and others :blink:

I realize that this thread isn't about Mystikal but I don't think they were planning on going to finals from the start of this season. I don't think they were ever on the schedule on dci.org for finals week.

To answer your question: I believe there are 20 World Class, 23 Open Class, and 2 International all going to Bloomington. Subject to change I'm sure.

Last Year: 22 World Class, 21 Open Class, 1 International

Would like to see the list too. And just for clarification will Open corps be at Bloomington the whole time or will they be in another city part of the week. Haven't followed closely because I don't go to DCI week but just heard someone say they aren't going this year because of distance to see Open corps and "more corps not going to be there anyway".

And this was before Fever announced....