Recently Folded/Inactive Corps

Gary,

Thanks for asking about LVK... Given the current condition of the DC world, it's silly to attempt a return at this time, especially with gas prices reaching $4 a gallon and considering we are basically starting at square 1. It has to be done correctly and last for the long term... The time will come... and we will be there...

Going to wait to the dust settles at the moment...

In the mean time... we wait and plan...

Glen

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steel Town Brass(co-ed Bandettes) have been a parade corps from 2005 to 2007. STB is currently on hold until September 2008, there is still a corps and the kids in Sault Ste Marie are still holding practices once a month. Steel Town Brass is trying to get back on the field and have been recruiting like mad. They want to see the field as badly as fans want to see the Bandettes organization back on the field.

I dont think the Kiwanis Kavaliers will have a shot at making it back. I havent been working for them for almost a year now, and with the stolen horns and drums, its just seems like their staff wont be able to pull it together. I do hope that I am wrong.

Corps that are in these situations really boggle my mind. After they fold, they usually come back with all thier ducks in a row, a solid instructional staff, a great membership pool (talented, too), and financial stability and wealth (in some cases). How in the world can these corps die so soon after a return? I hate to use a corps as an example; but when Magic returned in '02, it seemed like they had it all together from every area. What happened? It seemed like after '02, the gradual decline to folding, a second time, had begun.

Corps that are in these situations really boggle my mind. After they fold, they usually come back with all thier ducks in a row, a solid instructional staff, a great membership pool (talented, too), and financial stability and wealth (in some cases). How in the world can these corps die so soon after a return? I hate to use a corps as an example; but when Magic returned in '02, it seemed like they had it all together from every area. What happened? It seemed like after '02, the gradual decline to folding, a second time, had begun.

Magic was being supported by the Syracuse Brigadiers and their massive bingo operation in '02 and '03. The corps couldn't sustain the same operating budget when that flow of cash stopped. The bingo game they tried to set up never made much(if any) money and the corps went back to being supported almost entirely by dues and the patronage of a few individuals. That's not a sustainable model for running a drum corps.

What equipment wasn't sold by the corps was sold at auction by the bank. There is no effort to revive the corps that I'm aware of.

I certainly hope Southwind makes it back next year. These past few years I've found them a lot more entertaining that many corps that place above them. And they're Kentucky's only junior corps at the moment. So please, come back in '09.

BTW Southwind, you should start sending a group down to the Great American Brass Band Festival in Danville each June (if you're not already . . . I haven't been in a while). There are a lot of of gray-headed lovers of brass music there who would open their wallets if you gave them some "Old Kentucky Home". It could end up being a pretty good fundraiser.

My hair isn't grey yet and I've been going to Danville for the Brass Band Festival for most of the last 15 years. Missed a couple right after my dad died but have been back strong for the last thee years.

Southwind (or a Southwind alumni group) would likely be very welcome for the 11am parade which this year will be on June 14th.

I suggest that you email Mike L. and make this suggestion to him. You've got a good idea so be proactive.

Ladies and Gentlemen the days of Drum Corps as we know it are numbered.

The cost of a full tour will do 2 things in my opinion.

1. Few corps will be able to survive. I know this thread is about groups returning-

but don't look for a trend that way anytime soon. I can see a day not to far away where

there are more finals spots than Corps to fill them. Also Brass players are not marching

in the numbers they have before. Every Corps has great guard and percussion numbers to choose from

but I bet right now a contra player could walk in to at least 5 top 12 corps.

2. Fewer shows-the cost of a local non-weekend show with 3 top 12 groups has become more than most booster groups can swing.

The fact that the money has to be put up in advance makes it a very risky for a lot of groups.

I can see a world where shows are weekends only.

I hate to be a bringer of doom and gloom-

but I just don't see a lot of hope to be honest.

Less than 12 world class corps ? Not sure that is gonna happen.