Camera Policy

Basically, point-and-shoot cameras are okay, bigger cameras are okay only if the lens extends no more than 6", and video and sound recording cameras and devices are not allowed, of course. Photos taken are for private use, only, and are not allowed to be displayed on the Internet or in other public forums. To get credentials for a higher level of photography requires a license or pass from DCI, and this kind of license or pass is not normally accessible to somebody who's not credentialed media. Professional photography rights are sold.

Here it is from DCI, the most recent update AFAIK, dating from 2005:

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=4...eb-9314d035f737

Edited by Peel Paint

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to a few shows last year and at each one they would announce the "no video camera" policy. At one show I saw it enforced, but not at the others. Officially: No video or recording devices are allowed. What really goes on: Well youtube is proof of that. :

Thank you Peel Paint! That was just what I was looking for. I recently bought a new digital SLR camera and zoom lens. It just barely slides under that 6 in. rule if extended out and definitely under it when at its shortest length.

This is a good topic! I have a situation that might need a little bit of clarification...

I have a DSLR Canon XT camera that does not take video; however, it's a full sized camera. When at a show, I would like to take pictures of the show on a tripod which is small enough to stand right in front of me.

If I had my camera attached to a tripod, would I still get in trouble, even though I can't take video anyway?

EDIT: I'd like to use a tripod because my hands suck.

Edited by NeutralNovice

This is a good topic! I have a situation that might need a little bit of clarification...

I have a DSLR Canon XT camera that does not take video; however, it's a full sized camera. When at a show, I would like to take pictures of the show on a tripod which is small enough to stand right in front of me.

If I had my camera attached to a tripod, would I still get in trouble, even though I can't take video anyway?

EDIT: I'd like to use a tripod because my hands suck.

Anyone??

I don't think a tripod would be a problem, as long as you're not blocking other people's view.

when i was on tour in 2000 & 2001, I'd bring a mini disc recorder and a shotgun mic into the stands every night (since generally ALWAYS went on first, I got to watch a lot of shows that summer) and record my favorite shows. I would just hide the recorder in my pocket and hold the shotgun mic. No one ever said anything, even though it's not allowed.

Almost all of my "bootlegs" from 1979-81 went missing from the VK tour bus in 1990. Oddly enough, I got one back from a SoCal Dream member. We were looking through his tapes and found one from DCI prelims at McGill in 81. I recognized my own writing and asked him where he got it. Since he had been at RCC after marching drum corps we assumed he'd picked it up from another band member. Unfortunately that's where the trail went cold.

My recorder of choice was a Marantz SuperScope stereo recorder. It was secured in foam rubber in a briefcase with mike holes in the base and a cutout for the controls. All I did was set it on the edge of the front wall at Legion Field in B'ham and McGill in Montreal.

IMO, my recordings were better than the DCI ones because they weren't overengineered. I was down front to cut out most of the crowd noise. One side effect was getting staff noise instead. The funniest blooper was picking up Dr. Dave Kampshroer telling the guy next to me that he had to turn off his recorder.

Garry in Vegas