Accommodating the Additional Members

Greetings All. I was just wondering if your corps has laid down luggage limits in order to accommodate the extra 15 members. Maybe it won't be a big deal at all, but I know that with 135 members, the bay compartments under the buses were already jammed packed. With five more sets of luggage on each bus (assuming your corps goes the limit), it seems to me that something will have to give. I have heard of at least one corps not permitting sleeping bags as only air mattresses will be permitted. I know it's not exactly an urgent subject, but again, I've seen the bays with 135. Just wondering if other corps have thought about this and are addressing this increase in luggage and reduction in luggage space. God be with those assigned to bus loading.

Mods, if this has been done, please delete.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings All. I was just wondering if your corps has laid down luggage limits in order to accommodate the extra 15 members. Maybe it won't be a big deal at all, but I know that with 135 members, the bay compartments under the buses were already jammed packed. With five more sets of luggage on each bus (assuming your corps goes the limit), it seems to me that something will have to give. I have heard of at least one corps not permitting sleeping bags as only air mattresses will be permitted. I know it's not exactly an urgent subject, but again, I've seen the bays with 135. Just wondering if other corps have thought about this and are addressing this increase in luggage and reduction in luggage space. God be with those assigned to bus loading.

Can a poll for "which corps packs their bays best" be far behind? :tongue:

Airlines are putting in stricter limits on luggage, so I think people may be tempted to pack less in order to save money on their flights in and out.

Even if they didnt I doubt it would matter. These kids of things always have a way of working themselves out. The converse could be said too. If all of the busses magically had more room people would still be struggling to fit their luggage in there.... It is just like my bank account. No matter how much money I make or don't make, I always have the same amount left in it every month (i.e nothing).

This should probably urge more corps to go towards sectional shorts (if they're not already doin it)

makes packing a LOT more easier (for a dude at least) when you know you only have to worry about 1 pair of shorts.

Poor pit, you guys thought the truck was packed as it was

Two words: Pack light!!

Couple more thoughts...

How about having two buses instead of four but doing those double-decker thingy's...two levels of seating. Kind of cool. Then have one truck for all of the luggage. Smaller loading crew, too. Major pain if someone has to get something off the truck, though! Yikes!!

I don't know if that would cut down on petroleum usage, though, since I don't know what mileage the 2-story buses get versus the one's with loaded bottoms. Don't know how safe they are, either, without that bottom weight and top-loading with all those sleeping bodies. Interesting concept to ponder, though.

This should probably urge more corps to go towards sectional shorts (if they're not already doin it)

makes packing a LOT more easier (for a dude at least) when you know you only have to worry about 1 pair of shorts.

Makes a LOT of sense--4 pairs of shorts (2 practice, 2 casual) instead of 2 week's worth! Man, I could practically have taken a backpack if we'd done this back in the day. And lycra shirts cut down for the need of cottons. Couple shirts, couple shorts, take 'em in the shower every night, alternate every other day to reduce skunky-ness, and VOILA--instant reduction in space required!

No air beds is a BAD idea.

Ooh...another good idea! Airbeds instead of mattresses=extra space under buses, even with 15 extra heads to stow!

Makes a LOT of sense--4 pairs of shorts (2 practice, 2 casual) instead of 2 week's worth! Man, I could practically have taken a backpack if we'd done this back in the day. And lycra shirts cut down for the need of cottons. Couple shirts, couple shorts, take 'em in the shower every night, alternate every other day to reduce skunky-ness, and VOILA--instant reduction in space required!

In 2004, I managed to fit my airbed, blanket, and all my clothes into a rather small duffle bag.

wore the same shorts every day to rehearsal....used the same shirt for about a week, before retiring it to the dirty clothes bag. (never really wore shirts)