Open Brass Positions in Crossmen

The UIL (Texas' extracurricular sanctioning body) has a start-up date (usually around the 1st of August) where rehearsals are not allowed before. They also have a CRAZY marching band scene that would at times make DC look somewhat tame (just go to San Antonio BOA...it is a bloodbath). Might be somewhat of a hinderance...but with the majority of top-end corps being college age, this should not be as big of a problem. I would think..

This is almost correct. Actually, bands cannot start learning their UIL show before August, but that does not mean they cannot have rehearsals during the summer, etc. Many programs I work with have different types of camps in June and July; although there might be a certain amount of hours you can rehearse before Aug. 1. So if you are in a band that is competitive, maybe you aren't allowed/or have the opportunity to march corps...

I also think that money is an issue. I have talked to some who can pay less to march a "finalist" corps (in their words) for the same amount or less than the Crossmen...of course, that is if they have the money in the first place.

It is going to take some time for the Crossmen to become THE Texas corps, I am afraid.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also think that money is an issue. I have talked to some who can pay less to march a "finalist" corps (in their words) for the same amount or less than the Crossmen...of course, that is if they have the money in the first place.

It is going to take some time for the Crossmen to become THE Texas corps, I am afraid.

You made the point I was thinking about. Lots of Texas band kids are good enough to make top 5 corps. So if they have the money, they'd rather spend the money to make finals then to spend it and not.

I remember pushing someone to audition for Cavaliers over another corps because I felt he was better than the alternative. He ended up making it and won 2 rings.

yeah, but in my experience they're all horn camps and not drum camps... which is odd, considering the high school drum lines in the d/fw area.

My guess is that it is more a supply and demand issue...there seems to always be a need for horns...while the percussion sections seem pretty well-stocked without having to travel all over. Not to mention the logistics/cost of getting sufficient percussion equipment shipped to another state if the corps can't borrow enough locally.

I marched in a very competitive Texas Band.

Our band director wouldn't let us march corps while still in high school. I think it was mainly because it overlapped our summer camp. For me, I know that I would have been way burned out and the fees (about $2000 for corps and $1000 for band) would have been impossible. Also, Texas bands are very...good and continually make finals at big competitions. I now feel differently, but right after graduation, I wouldn't have even considered marching somewhere that didn't make finals. It sounds bad, but it's just the mindset that gets rooted in you. Another thing could be is just that a student's loyalty is probably already with another corps. I would think that in another three or four years, it would get easier for Crossmen.

$1,000 for band? Talk about a waste.

Still, I've seen terrific bands in our area, and you don't have to pay a dime, except possibly if your band goes to a camp.

Still, I've seen terrific bands in our area, and you don't have to pay a dime, except possibly if your band goes to a camp.

I don't know of any in Texas where you don't have to pay anything. Especially with gas prices the way they are. We didn't have to pay to get to football games of course, but places like San Antonio, St Louis, and Indy aren't cheap to get to. Then you add up things like entry fees, uniforms, insturment repair, copywright fees, and the drill writters and music arrangers have to get paid too... It was definitely worth it though.

I think the general point is that most corps are independent orginizations and are not affiliated with school systems (at least financially) so they HAVE to raise their own funds. With bands it's more a question of how much community support they recieve.