Marching Keyboards

I can attest to that ... in '75 he had our snares carrying enough mallets, sticks and beaters to stock Sam Ash for a year. Not to mention the castinets, flexatones, wood blocks, agogo bells, cowbells (well, you can NEVER have too much cowbell) and other assorted #### ... And this was ON TOP of one of the most saturated drum books you'd ever seen.

Oh, a lot of folks used those sorts of things...I kniow I did. My mallet players carried some, as did the snares and tenors. "other" also includes things like tambourines, triangles, vibraslaps and afuches....and anything else we could think iof to use.

I think it was a few years later, though, that he found out about having to transpose to a different key when writing for the mallet instruments. The effect was ... um ... piercing.

Ouch! :tongue:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was by far my selling point on Drum Corps and the Boston Crusaders. I had seen them earlier that season, but I saw the Finals Week Version on tape. I loved the We Dont Gava attitude that put a Synth on the field. in 1988 My sister went on her first tour, and in 1989 I followed.

I feel for the mallet players of yesteryear. Like I said I came around in 1989 and the pit was grounded, all be it a crude form of what todays pits are, it was much better than having to carry the stuff. I fell in love with the pit, I aged out in 2000 and still now play and teach. Marimba Forever, as long as I dont have to carry! haha

• 3 weeks later...

1980 Blue Stars leisure line:

1055987944.jpg

Frm L...Jay Dahlen, Ray Attard, Jim Vogt, Cliff DeArment :thumbup:

This was the "original" Marching pit instrument. - Double Bass 1967. It triggered rabid tympani use in 1968.

1d3dfb15-e1e2-4ac0-84f3-5ce0332c277.jpg

Drum corps' “father of percussion” flat out revolutionized the way drum lines did business and his innovations became the standards of today; timpani, keyboards, multi-drums and melodic percussion features. When asked at a rules convention exactly what he wanted, Shellmer replied, “This,” slamming down the complete Deagan, LP and Musser catalogues. “All of it!” He got all of it.

STILL LOOKS GREAT

Speaking as a member of a front ensemble, I wanted to thank all you guys who marched xylo, timpani, chimes, etc. for paving the way and setting an example for guys like me.

It's so interesting I read this when I did because I was watching the '75 Scouts and as I opened the thread, Dueling Banjos started up.

That xylophonist...man, what an amazing musician he was/is.

Speaking as a member of a front ensemble, I wanted to thank all you guys who marched xylo, timpani, chimes, etc. for paving the way and setting an example for guys like me.

It's so interesting I read this when I did because I was watching the '75 Scouts and as I opened the thread, Dueling Banjos started up.

That xylophonist...man, what an amazing musician he was/is.

The great Todd Weich. The best ad disbled Americns ever had, IMO.

Back to Cliff DeArment, listen to "Backwoods Sideman" from the 78 Blue Star show. The marimba sound is absolutely phenomenal, and one of the things that made my ears perk up and made me want to be a pithead (the other being the magic that was the 'Dance Russe' Phantom keyboard break at 3:53 in their 78 Stravinsky medley. Marrone.).

Edited by tommytimp

Back to Cliff DeArment, listen to "Backwoods Sideman" from the 78 Blue Star show. The marimba sound is absolutely phenomenal, and one of the things that made my ears perk up and made me want to be a pithead.

That's actually Tom Nanni in '78.

bluestars20rg5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I marched the big Timpani in Argonne in 79' They did have a vibe player & Marimba. I also playedbig bass for Troopers, My back is still giving me troubles today, OOOUUUCCCHHH!!! :tongue: But I loved it & wouldn't change those days for anything