Promotions

great topic!

and a follow up query:who among those fortunate to be promoted will appeal,plead and petition to remain and stay within their "comfort zone"? :worthy:

My thoughts on who will get promoted this year.

Scholastic A - The entire top 15 should be promoted every year in this class.

Independent A -

Seattle Cascades

Interplay

Capella

Fahrenheit A

Northgate

Scholastic Open -

Northmont

Freedom

West Orange

Americas

Chino

Independent Open -

Alter Ego

Diamante

The Academy

Ventures

See, I tend to disagree with the blanket promotions and the idea to promote everyone out of A class. I feel the same way about prematurely pushing guards into the World Class.... it's too difficult a jump in expectations. Just my opinion, so don't flame....

Too often, there are finalists in the A class that are one-hit wonders. They happen to have a good year by a stroke of a well written show or a strong senior class.... and then never make it back it in. There was no history of making finals before..... and they are rarely heard from again. I think the review committee needs to take a careful look at who gets promoted, and that a strategic and thoughtful plan needs to be in effect.

The World Class scares me even more when it comes to who to promote. Talk about an ever-changing class! It has constant turn over. What it takes to keep up a world class program.... I can't imagine. Particularly in the Scholastic Division , where one large graduating class can nearly crush your ability to compete, and you find yourself forced down into Open Class in a year or two. Follow the history and you'll see.

NOW -if there are guards who are clearly ready for the move, as indicated by score and a review... you gotta GO. And if you're a guard who finds yourself in the top 5 every year.... you gotta GO. But I think there's a middle ground.

I, too, find it sad (and sometimes odd) that in Scholastic A there are many guards who are "one hit wonders".

Edited by Will

I think sometimes we judge success after a promotion based solely on making finals the following year. In some cases it takes a few years in the next higher class to reach that finals show.

It concerns me that some programs get promoted and then after 1 or 2 years drop back down only to place in the top 5 in the lower class. Sometimes it takes a few years to build the program in the higher class.

I think sometimes we judge success after a promotion based solely on making finals the following year. In some cases it takes a few years in the next higher class to reach that finals show.

It concerns me that some programs get promoted and then after 1 or 2 years drop back down only to place in the top 5 in the lower class. Sometimes it takes a few years to build the program in the higher class.

Hey Jeremy,

The problem is that the lack of success in the higher classes (over a couple of years) hinders the moral of members and does not help recruitment.

Most kids would rather be a finalist in a lower class than a perennial non finalist in a higher class. It's just our competitive nature.

Later,

Mike

Hey Mike,

I agree with you about the recruiting aspect of being a non finanalist.

On the flip side of the argument we have a program that will most likely be promoted to World Class for the second time in less than 7 years. We also have a guard that dropped from IW to IA and then placed in the top 3. If I were a the guard that was in 16th place in these classes I would not be happy.

What about the guards that would get promoted every time they came to WGI and then petition to get moved back down?? (think - Taylor High School from Indiana... open class finalists several times and twice were promoted to world class but came back the next year in open... again). I understand that programs lose kids, but is it fair to keep pushing down your program if it is apparently ready for the next level??

Hey Mike,

I agree with you about the recruiting aspect of being a non finanalist.

On the flip side of the argument we have a program that will most likely be promoted to World Class for the second time in less than 7 years. We also have a guard that dropped from IW to IA and then placed in the top 3. If I were a the guard that was in 16th place in these classes I would not be happy.

The requirements to be competitive in World Class are very tough - from practice time, member talent level, staff required and money required. Some guards just don't want to go that route, or try to only to realize that it's not for them or their organization.

I have no problem with a guard who would rather be competitive year after year in Open class - than hardly registering in World class. If other guards have a problem with it - then they should work to either A) Beat that guard or B) Get promoted to World Class.

Being World Class should not be the ultimate goal - having a competitive program that the members and organization can sustain - should be.

Later,

Mike