Can this be fixed?

Martybucs

With all due respect, I really don't understand all the hand wringing over a very simple problem. If your horn is broken, take it to repair shop and get it fixed.

This horn has been damaged for 5 years. Why the drama all of the sudden?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any brass repair experts out there?

I have a Yamaha Mike Vax signature trumpet. I like the way it plays, but it has build quality issues.

The main problem is with the 2nd valve. I'm guessing at some point someone knocked the horn over on the bandstand but didn't tell me.

About 5 years ago, we came back from a break, I picked the horn up and wiggled the valves a bit and the second valve was stuck down hard. With only minutes to go before playing, I pulled on the second valve slide until the valve finally popped free. It has worked ok since, but now is getting stuck with some regularity and only messing with the slide fixes it. When I say pull the slide, I don't mean pull it out, but actually grasp the whole slide unit and change the angle by pulling on the unit.

So I'm guessing the metal has been worried into a weakened condition. I hesitate to take this to a local music store to get it fixed because of the possible complexity of the repair.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Marty,

The best is Dillon Music in Woodbridge, NJ. Shouldn't be that long of a drive for you. They specialize in prompt and quality repairs for all brass. I only take my horn there and it's well worth the drive. They have a website. Give them a call, explain the situation and they will help you.

Good luck.

Robbie

With all due respect, I really don't understand all the hand wringing over a very simple problem. If your horn is broken, take it to repair shop and get it fixed.

This horn has been damaged for 5 years. Why the drama all of the sudden?

There's no hand wringing. I have been able to get the 2nd valve to work in the past. Recently, it's being more temperamental. I have taken instruments to repair shops and haven't been satisfied with the repairs and re-repairs.

Most shops are fine with a little solder job here and there. With the cost of a new, professional model trumpet, I want it fixed correctly the first time.

I have other trumpets to get by, but this Mike Vax model works particularly well for me and I'd like to solve the problem.

On tuesday night, at rehearsal, someone suggested Dillon Music. I think that's a great idea, so I may take a trip there this weekend. Especially, if Robbie vouches for them.

Me and my Yamaha spent the morning together. After thinking about it, I came to the conclusion that most repair people would do what I've been doing for the past 5 years; manipulating the assembly until the valve moves freely and going, "there, it's fixed."

First I completely cleaned the valves and casings so that I wouldn't confuse any built up deposits for the problem. Then verified that indeed, the second valve was binding.

I took some advice from hornsup and did it a little differently this time.

Very carefully and slowly I went past the point of correction and then came back. I can't emphasize enough, how little I'm moving. You can't even tell that I've done anything - it's completely by feel. Voila! The valve moves freer than it has in years.

Next was a test. I played some fast stuff and it's good. I figured I would try those super fast embellishments in the Hummel Concerto in Eb, final movement. Well, let me tell you, I still suck at it...but I think the valves could perform it cleanly, if I could.

I have banished the offending case, after looking inside and seeing the indentation the second valve tube has made in the foam. I've gone back to the factory supplied Yamaha case that shows no marking from any of the slides. There is an indentation in the lid where the finger hook sits, probably to stabilize the horn in the case.

I never leave my instruments, unattended on the bandstand anymore, even though, putting them in their cases is a pain.

I never leave my instruments, unattended on the bandstand anymore, even though, putting them in their cases is a pain.

'course from your description the case could have been the problem :thumbup:

There's no hand wringing. I have been able to get the 2nd valve to work in the past. Recently, it's being more temperamental. I have taken instruments to repair shops and haven't been satisfied with the repairs and re-repairs.

Most shops are fine with a little solder job here and there. With the cost of a new, professional model trumpet, I want it fixed correctly the first time.

Oh, I see now. Usually you're the voice of common sense, so I figured there was just something I was missing.

I erroneously thought the horn didn't work at all, and then after 5 years you needed to get the horn fixed NOW. No wonder I didn't get it.

Thanks for the clarification. :)

Next was a test. I played some fast stuff and it's good. I figured I would try those super fast embellishments in the Hummel Concerto in Eb, final movement. Well, let me tell you, I still suck at it...but I think the valves could perform it cleanly, if I could.

Just beautiful!

If you are ever in the Rochester NY area, there is a gentleman in Webster NY named Joe Pera....(not Pero)...that is the brass guru in this area. If you know anyone form this area...(guys from Empire, Cru, St. Joe's, Prime Time Brass, Hitmen, Ghost Riders et al) they have all been to Joe at some point for either a mouthpiece consultation, repairs or to buy a new or used horn. He has THOUSANDS of mouthpieces of all makes and sizes that you can try with his advise on sound. He also has hundreds ot trumpets to play and compare.

His phone number is in the Rochester phone book.

Donny

That's ironic, isn't it?

Originally, the horn was knocked over and that started it. I've switched back to the single horn, factory supplied case.

I just picked up a Jupiter 416 pocket trumpet for practice purposes when I travel. Actually like it, but I play a bit sharp on it, so properly tuned the slide is out about 1/2 inch. After the practice session I went to put the horn back in the case, and closing the case I was trying to figure out what I had in there in the way - keeping it from closing . . . I actually pushed down on the case a bit (not hard) at first, then I remembered this thread, I pushed the tuning slide in, and now the case (built for the horn) closes nicely. Your thread possibly saved me from causing a problem with this little horn.

I normally leave my horns "tuned" between cleanings - with a spot check here and there - because once I tune, I don't usually have to change it. Of course I will probably get used to that as well; I can clean my "normal" trumpet up and put the slide back in by eye and be pretty darn close. So it's a bit of an annoyance, but nothing horrible.