That was umm... very sexy

There is a major difference between that which is "sexual" and that which is "sensual" and, no, I won't explain the difference here. Do you own homework. BD '92 was clearly more sensual than sexual. However, I have different (related) question. BD '92 came on the heels of two figure skaters, Torville and Dean, who melted the ice with their olympic winning '91 program. I don't think I ever saw this addressed but to what extent were the designers of the BD program influenced by Torville and Dean? Can anyone associated with BD shed some light on this?

/

or the word "sultry"...i like skating be it hockey or figure skating...you may have a good point here...choose the trend of the time or re-think time or re-invent time or bring back what worked or invent new...i haven't seen drum corps in a while...Torville and Dean did technique, 'something' new with classic music but with passion...

generally i don't post words but my youngest said it was ok to express my opinion on a forum...i say he should join the debate club...he said that's what a forum is

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a major difference between that which is "sexual" and that which is "sensual" and, no, I won't explain the difference here. Do you own homework. BD '92 was clearly more sensual than sexual. However, I have different (related) question. BD '92 came on the heels of two figure skaters, Torville and Dean, who melted the ice with their olympic winning '91 program. I don't think I ever saw this addressed but to what extent were the designers of the BD program influenced by Torville and Dean? Can anyone associated with BD shed some light on this?

Major difference in sexual and sensual??? Yes there are and Blue Devils were indeed sexual, sensual would be Phantom 1996.

Now, Toville and Dean were those creepy English skaters and that was in 1984, so the 92 BD show was not right on the heels or blades of them.....

But prior to Blue Devils 1992, there was Mr. Scott Chandler (marched State Street Review, Madison Scouts).

Scott went on to teach State Street with Sal Salas and Tam Easterwood and that was the bridge to Spirit of Atlanta.

So, Spirit was CO ED and the crew worked off of this and developed a nice MALE-FEMALE theme.

1991 "The Alliance of Miami" winterguard (Sal consulted), did a ground breaking show called...

"WHEN A MAN LOVES A WOMAN"

You can see the years and years of progression of what was already taking place in the DCI and WGI world.

Go check out Spirit 84,85,86, and the while you're at it "The Alliance of Miami" 1991 WGI show. You will see where the 1992 as well as current Blue Devils guard transcended from.

side note: Same time frame as the above, "St. Anthony's Imperials" winterguard did "CONSTANTLY RISKING ABSURDITY......" Written for them by Jay Murphy.

Edited by Cop

BD 1992... has there ever been any other show that was as sexy as theirs? I was like, woah! that's a lotta skin... for the dudes. It was pretty cool actually, I loved the "When a man loves a woman" ending.

What'd you think of the show? Was there an adverse reaction to the show?

you youngsters forget the bikini girls that jumped out of a giant hat at the end of VK's show. not to mention the "sex cymbals" of the late 80's and 90's

Now, Toville and Dean were those creepy English skaters and that was in 1984, so the 92 BD show was not right on the heels or blades of them.....

I think he was referring to their RETURN to the Olympics in the 90's. Though that would have been the 1994 Olympic Games in Lillehammer. So obviously, 1992 was not right on the heels of that.

And were they creepy? Perhaps. But that Bolero program of theirs was stunningly original and mesmerizing for that time in that arena. They received 12 perfect 6.0s, including artistic impression scores of 6.0 from every judge. There are videos of that gold medal winning performance somewhere online at some site we're not supposed to mention.

This is one of my favorite shows. It dripped with BDs confidence that I've come to appreciate. They didn't need to win in 92 to know they were awesome.

Also, my mom didn't like that show. And as a kid, that just made it cooler.

I'm not so sure. I know some BD folks who prize the ring above all else. If you didn't win one when you wore that uniform, you've done nothing.

i think its really sad that anyone would value their sense of accomplishment according to the sensibilities of 9 people on a jury, especially when they have direct feedback from a couple of hundred thousand fairly educated and passionate drum corps fans in stadiums all summer. maybe thats just the madison coming out of me, we looked at ourselves as performers, not competitors. saying we cared more about the ring than anything else would be like saying that our personal self worth can only be measured relatively in terms of what other corps were doing. looking at it that way that the cadets or phantoms show would have been as important to us as our own. or its like saying a flat night when the crowd stayed calm would have been acceptable if the scores were still there. i don't buy that, to me the goal is to get better, grow stronger and more capable every day on tour, and get up and play a hot show that blows the audience away every night.

even if you do want the judges feedback, see if their noticing something you can be working on in your show, who has the time (or perspective) to compare that with what everyone else is doing mid-tour, or even the first 5 years after a summer? and how often have the judges just straight missed at finals? not every time, but lets face it, there have been some pretty glaring errors in finals judging, some that i bet even the judges themselves wish they had a do-over on. why rate yourself according to that fundamentally flawed system? and that doesn't even take into account the shows that were the most memorable of their year, but had some weakness that killed them in scoring. is that really all you get out of the summer? a score? seriously, how many 89 phantom guys do you think regret not marching vanguard that year? or scouts from 95 regret not marching cavvies instead? or 93 star kids who would rather have memories of winning it all with the 93 cadets?

Not saying all BD folks feel that way. Just sayin. Some BD people I know. Others feel differently.

And for the record, while I personally don't consider the scores the end-all be-all of what I got out of my summer experiences, I do value many of the things competition brings to the table, and consider it an important (and often FUN) part of my drum corps memories. There is room in this world for a balance between being competitive and wanting to get high scores and just wanting to perform for the fans and have fun.

Edited by rut-roh

you youngsters forget the bikini girls that jumped out of a giant hat at the end of VK's show. not to mention the "sex cymbals" of the late 80's and 90's

I'm right there with ya on the VK bikini girl. The 1989 show was mwmorable and not just because of the young lady at the end .

Also, the Bridgemen in the 70's did some fairly interesting stuff particularly with their female guard members.