Has anyone ever . . .

The two professors giving me trouble are in their 50's . . . so, old enough to not be familiar with what corps is now as compared to what it was. My band director, who is only in his 30's is cool with it, and my trumpet prof. (in his 40's) is cool with it too - he said that my tone has gotten better, and he sees no problem with a student pursuing different musical outlets. He even said that the best way to learn is to go out and get experience, and his one regret is that he never marched corps. All that, coming from a man with a DMA in trumpet performance. So . . . I take the inspiration from my two closer professors. The other two are my choir director and my advisor (who is in charge of elementary music education / student teaching). Even though they may never get it, I think it's just best to let them talk and then enjoy what I have.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other two are my choir director and my advisor (who is in charge of elementary music education / student teaching). Even though they may never get it, I think it's just best to let them talk and then enjoy what I have.

Not all of us choir directors are biased against corps. :dancin:

my music profs understand and don't mind, but my gen ed. profs and education profs don't really care. they think that drum corps is extra and isn't an excuse to miss classes on friday afternoons. oh well. i passed all my classes so they can get over it.

Not all of us choir directors are biased against corps. :dancin:

Thank goodness! I was getting worried!

The two professors giving me trouble are in their 50's . . . so, old enough to not be familiar with what corps is now as compared to what it was. My band director, who is only in his 30's is cool with it, and my trumpet prof. (in his 40's) is cool with it too - he said that my tone has gotten better, and he sees no problem with a student pursuing different musical outlets. He even said that the best way to learn is to go out and get experience, and his one regret is that he never marched corps. All that, coming from a man with a DMA in trumpet performance. So . . . I take the inspiration from my two closer professors. The other two are my choir director and my advisor (who is in charge of elementary music education / student teaching). Even though they may never get it, I think it's just best to let them talk and then enjoy what I have.

Be careful about how you talk about people in their 50's. Just beacuse YOU think we are like the old men in the balcony on the muppet show doesn't mean we arn't young enough to still be judging large ensemble........................... :dancin:

Be careful about how you talk about people in their 50's. Just beacuse YOU think we are like the old men in the balcony on the muppet show doesn't mean we arn't young enough to still be judging large ensemble........................... :tongue:

I think he might be talking about folks our age whose main drum corps exposure came way back in the day.

Are you Statler or Waldorf? :tongue:

Has anyone ever come back from a camp so unbelievably psyched to only have a teacher / professor come and tell them that drum corps is a waste of time?

I had a professor actually tell me that drum corps is not part of my education and that it's "just a hobby and nothing more." I mean . . . it's not a career, but how could someone call it "just a hobby."? But, yeah, when I told this person that I thought it was a valid part of my education (as a person and as a musician), they simply said "no, I'm sorry, but it's not." And, that was the end of that discussion.

I even had another professor, completely unprovoked, call me to their office to "question my priorities" because I march corps . . . and this was after missing 2 rehearsals for camp THE ENTIRE YEAR.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ways to talk to people who just don't understand the caliber of what DCI has to offer to students?

All of the below is IMO:

You've gotten advice from all sorts of perspectives in this thread, as I'm sure you knew would happen when you asked...here is some more! :tongue:

You need to look at a number of factors in this.

Are the above a big deal in the grand scheme of what you are doing in school? Or are these just people giving their opinion and that's that?

You have an opinion on what drum corps can offer students. They have their opinions. As long as that is all they are, and you do not suffer at the school, I would probably let it go, but you have to look at the totality of this conflict.

Will these people have a deleterious impact on your scholastic success at that college, in other words? If these opinions are going to be held against you, then you have to think about the alternatives.

As to missing school ensemble rehearsals for drum corps camps...what ensembles were these? And...is missing two of them something other members get to do without any consequences or negative feedback?

There are the way things should be and they way things are in the real world. You need to think about how important this conflict is to you personally in how you react to these professors as it relates to your college career. It's not an easy thing to pick up and change schools on a whim. If the opinions of these people are just that...opinions....is it really important?

My horn professor is against me marching drum corps. He's never actually said why, but he always seems to want to shy away from the subject whenever I bring it up...and I didn't even bring it up that much. I would just be like "Oh, by the way, I made it into this group last weekend, so I'm gonna be marching this summer," and he would just say "Yeah, okay" and try to move on. I found out from one of the older horn students that he actually hates both drum corps and marching band. Again, I've yet to get an actual reason why, but some of it might have to do with the fact that I'm playing on a mouthpiece different from my french horn mouthpiece, which could potentially mess up my embouchure...but I'm bringing that mouthpiece with me on tour, so I should be fine by the time I come back. Still, I don't know why he hates it...doesn't matter much, though, since he's already kind of a ####.

My french horn professor was the same way. Basically, because marching mello can wreck your horn embouchure if you're not really careful. (Even if you use a horn mouthpiece) It's a legitimate concern on his part. Taking your horn mouthpiece with you and working with it on off time is an excellent idea.

Then there is the preconception that drum corps (and marching music in general) isn't 'legit' and is something only non-majors do.

I also had to take an incomplete in Theory IV, as the final was the same day as Scouts open house. I notified the professor months in advance, but he wouldn't let me move the final date. He was willing to fail me for it, but I went over his head and the administration forced him to let me take the final the next time the class was offered. (A year later)

That theory professor was later fired, as he had a whole host of problems and had no place in the educational system.