Has anyone ever . . .

I think he might be talking about folks our age whose main drum corps exposure came way back in the day.

Are you Statler or Waldorf? :tongue:

So he IS talking about me !

( after all, now it's summer honor marching brass bands and no peeling paint off of the walls by players with a tin ear like me........ :tongue: )

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THAT'S why I say sometimes it's better to keep your head low.

HSREED, good luck to you. I hope you got something from both sides of this fence.

I stopped the music major path the moment I put my horn in the bag during that meeting, withdrawing that quarter to figure things out. I took an economics course the following quarter and loved it. We must live with the choices we make, so make the best choices for you.

I stopped the music major path the moment I put my horn in the bag during that meeting, withdrawing that quarter to figure things out. I took an economics course the following quarter and loved it. We must live with the choices we make, so make the best choices for you.

Sorry to hear you put the horn in the bag but by all means follow your heart.

Find something you love doing that makes you a living.

Good Luck and remember, when you pull the horn back out, expose as many kids to music. You don't have to teach for a living to be an educator.

yeah well it sure turned into a heck of a "hobby" for the likes of Fred Sandford, Jim Campbell, Rob Carson, Ralph Hardimon, Jeff Fiedler, Scott Stewart, Wayne Downey, Dave Gibbs, Dennis DeLucia, ... shall I go on?

:tongue:

My High School director threatened to take away my title of drum captain if I marched because I would miss the first few days of band camp. I marched anyway - best thing I ever did. My chops were so much better at the end of that first summer that I never regretted it. (made me drum captain again after 1 week). My college instructors all marched and were staff members of top 12 corps so I got nothing but praise from them about marching drum corps. Guess I was lucky. This was also 25 years ago. :tongue:

I was actually kicked out of my high school band due to it. The director told me he would lose all respect for me as a person, I would lose my spot as the principal chair in the top band and become last chair in the lower band, have a failing grade, that Revolution was a crappy "B" class corps that our high school band could beat anyday in competition The sad part is, I ended up not being able to march due to personal issues.

Best choice I ever made, dealing with such a corrupt organization was not what I needed. They officially kicked me out yesterday, we have three remaining days and I am never allowed into the band hall again.

I plan on auditioning next summer again, hoping that stuff doesn't happen again.

There's story about a guy who defied his professor from Eastman to play in pit for BD in 1994. Apparently his mentor/teacher told him not to join a drum corps. It would ruin his mallet technique. (Classical I presume)

I was actually kicked out of my high school band due to it. The director told me he would lose all respect for me as a person, I would lose my spot as the principal chair in the top band and become last chair in the lower band, have a failing grade, that Revolution was a crappy "B" class corps that our high school band could beat anyday in competition The sad part is, I ended up not being able to march due to personal issues.

Best choice I ever made, dealing with such a corrupt organization was not what I needed. They officially kicked me out yesterday, we have three remaining days and I am never allowed into the band hall again.

I plan on auditioning next summer again, hoping that stuff doesn't happen again.

I'm glad you decided to march corps, but wow, that's ridiculous. Never allowed into the band hall again? Did drum corps steal this guy's girlfriend or something? Did it kick sand in his eyes? Did drum corps TP his house? Sounds like he's got an insane grudge against it. Good for you for staying away from that freak.

My Horn teacher was totally against Drum Corps - but only for the first year or two. After a couple of years, he realized that I (along with the others Hornists marching BD or SCV) came to school with monster chops every September.

After that, he was very cool about it.

my HS band director REALLY hated drum corps. "It's a waste of time" and "it's not REAL music" were his biggest complaints.

1 day in the band room, I played 88 Blue Devils on the stereo for some classmates. "Wow, who is that" asks my band director? "A bunch of people wasting their time, not playing real music" was my answer....

Yeah, I'm a smart ###.