Favorite Patriotic Chart

:thumbup::shutup::sad:

I'll add "The Longest Day" to the Dreitzer patrotic hit list. The Skyliners had a lot of great color presentation tunes through the years. I think the "Victory at Sea" chart is my favorite.

Fran

Here's a question; did Ray Eyler ever march with or teach Skyliners? When he was teaching Brookhaven Crusaders in 1969-1971 we played "Columbia the Gem of the Ocean" and he threatened to have us play "Victory at Sea".

Once in awhile he would bring a chart in and have us play it and then give it to another corps. I used to hate that.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a question; did Ray Eyler ever march with or teach Skyliners? When he was teaching Brookhaven Crusaders in 1969-1971 we played "Columbia the Gem of the Ocean" and he threatened to have us play "Victory at Sea".

Once in awhile he would bring a chart in and have us play it and then give it to another corps. I used to hate that.

Marty, I don't know for sure that Ray ever taught or marched Skyliners ( I don't think he did ) but I do know that he was in Archie at the time you would have been in Brookhaven and they played Victory at Sea and Columbia. I liked both charts. I played Victory with Archie and Columbia with Skyliners Alumni.

Blessed Sac's National Emblem, Americans We, America the Beautiful

Sky Alumni, Broadway Medley and Columbia.

I've been fortunate to be able to play them all in both places.

1965 rochester crusaders. the navy hymn. it was dedicated to president john f. kennedy. every time i saw it , it brought tears to my eyes. one of the greatest color pre ever........IMHO.

also 1968 brigs....america the beautiful.

In the Bicentennial year of 1976, the Sunrisers closed their show with "Stars and Stripes Forever" and threw in a bit of "Happy Birthday" during the finale. Great stuff.

Fran

1989 Empire Statesmen

America

Service Themes

Battle Hymn

Liberty Weekend

Vince Bruni AND Pepe Notaro at their best

Tank you very much

Marty, I don't know for sure that Ray ever taught or marched Skyliners ( I don't think he did ) but I do know that he was in Archie at the time you would have been in Brookhaven and they played Victory at Sea and Columbia. I liked both charts. I played Victory with Archie and Columbia with Skyliners Alumni.

Robbie ... Ray never taught or marched with the Field Corps ... but ... he did play for a while with the Alumni Corps in 1998 ... I remember Joe DeFiglia commenting that he never realized how good Ray was ...

Andy

Robbie ... Ray never taught or marched with the Field Corps ... but ... he did play for a while with the Alumni Corps in 1998 ... I remember Joe DeFiglia commenting that he never realized how good Ray was ...

Andy

Gee, Andy. That would have put him in Sky Alumni when I was there and I don't ever remember him there. However, Joe is correct..........Ray is an excellent horn and a great mentor to me.

Robbie

Gee, Andy. That would have put him in Sky Alumni when I was there and I don't ever remember him there. However, Joe is correct..........Ray is an excellent horn and a great mentor to me.

Robbie

I remember when Ray was teaching Brookhaven and he suggested that all the first sops get Parduba 5 Star mouthpieces. So our corps director went out and bought them for us.

The Parduba did nothing for me. I told Ray that I play better on my 7C. He said I just had to get the hang of it. Then, one handed he played all the way up to super C, (as they called it back then), and squealed even higher. "There, see", he said.

I tried that Parduba for about 5 years and was OK on it, but never understood why people called it a cheater mouthpiece when it did nothing for me. In fact, after playing high, I had trouble playing low. For me, I would have been cheating if I used a larger mouthpiece!

Back to the flag waving!

Andy

Robbie ... there's a lot of folks that rolled through the 98 corps for brief stints ...

Andy

I like Westshore's version of America the Beautiful.