DCI Legacy CDs?

I have no problem with this. My music library is entirely digitally based, so I don't use the actual CDs except for ripping the tracks, so I'm all for eliminating this middle step. I just wish DCI would have a download option of every finals show from 1972-1999 at some reduced price, because I refuse to pay over $1000 for this material when I can get the Legacy DVD collection for basically half the price.

Yes, you're absolutely right. They should offer something along these lines.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wish DCI would have a download option of every finals show from 1972-1999 at some reduced price, because I refuse to pay over $1000 for this material when I can get the Legacy DVD collection for basically half the price.

$69 isn't reduced enough? :thumbdown:

I have no problem with this. My music library is entirely digitally based, so I don't use the actual CDs except for ripping the tracks, so I'm all for eliminating this middle step. I just wish DCI would have a download option of every finals show from 1972-1999 at some reduced price, because I refuse to pay over $1000 for this material when I can get the Legacy DVD collection for basically half the price.

I might have what you are looking for Hrothgar15. My finals CDs have been sitting in the garage for years gathering dust. I might as well sell 'em to someone who will continue to enjoy them.

I decided to rip the audio to mp3 on my entire legacy dvd collection, I know that is not exactly "legal", but heck...I own them. It was the only way to get what I wanted.

Exactly why would that NOT be legal? Fair Use is fair use... Come on, let's not give up our fair use rights.... :thumbdown:

I might have what you are looking for Hrothgar15. My finals CDs have been sitting in the garage for years gathering dust. I might as well sell 'em to someone who will continue to enjoy them.

There's the ultimate answer. Make him a good deal. :)

Exactly why would that NOT be legal? Fair Use is fair use... Come on, let's not give up our fair use rights.... :laughing:

Well technically, it *is* ilegal - not because he made a copy of material he owns, but because it's illegal to break the encyption on the DVDs. Under fair use, he can legally make copies, but the problem is that you can't make copies without (illegally) breaking the encryption.

This is a problem that needs to be fixed because the laws preventing decryption result in the violation of fair use (in my humble non-lawyer opinion).

Not that I advocate any of this :laughing: but in 2005 when the first fan network was beta tested and fans could listen to any show they wanted for free for about a week, I found out that if you take a headphone splitter and plug it into the audio out port of a computer, and plug one of the remaining two splitter ends into the audio in (mic) port, push play on a show from the fan network and hit record on some sort of recording program, you have a recording of said show. It'll probably be a wav, but downloads.com has plenty of wav to mp3 converters.

Again, not saying I support any of this, but I'm throwing it out there. I will say, for anyone who uses this method, in theory it absolutely works except for that time consuming problem of having to listen (or at least wait the length of) every show you want.

Not that I advocate any of this :laughing: but in 2005 when the first fan network was beta tested and fans could listen to any show they wanted for free for about a week, I found out that if you take a headphone splitter and plug it into the audio out port of a computer, and plug one of the remaining two splitter ends into the audio in (mic) port, push play on a show from the fan network and hit record on some sort of recording program, you have a recording of said show. It'll probably be a wav, but downloads.com has plenty of wav to mp3 converters.

Again, not saying I support any of this, but I'm throwing it out there. I will say, for anyone who uses this method, in theory it absolutely works except for that time consuming problem of having to listen (or at least wait the length of) every show you want.

Yeah, I experimented with this as well in 2005. There are also programs that automatically convert the streaming files to .mp3 files directly, so I went through and started converting each show starting from 2005 and going back. What I didn't realize is that the streaming files were encoded at a very low bitrate, much lower than what is provided for the actual APDs, so it wasn't really a solution.

I still need some audio for my library too.

If anyone has a good library please contac me!

JP

Yeah, I experimented with this as well in 2005. There are also programs that automatically convert the streaming files to .mp3 files directly, so I went through and started converting each show starting from 2005 and going back. What I didn't realize is that the streaming files were encoded at a very low bitrate, much lower than what is provided for the actual APDs, so it wasn't really a solution.

Not only that, but the headphone signal has been converted to analog, and you're converting it back to digital to store it on your end.

By the way, since DCP does not condone illicit reproduction of copyrighted material, I suppose we shouldn't condone posting suggestions like these either....