Front loading the alphabet with World Class Corps

Okay, it's late and I'll be up for several more hours working on the DCI program book descriptions for each of the corps. I've noticed something that makes sense to wonder about now, but probably won't make sense after some sleep...if and when that happens.

Have you ever noticed how the DCI World Class Corps are front-loaded in the first three letters of the alphabet? The names of eleven of our twenty World Class Corps begin either with the letter A, B or C. (Time out for everyone to say, "Wow, man." ) I'm not counting "The" in this observation.

The Academy, Blue Devils, Blue Knight, Blue Stars, Bluecoats, Boston Crusaders, The Cadets, Carolina Crown, The Cavaliers, Colts and Crossmen all reside within the first three of our twenty-six letters. That's a full 55% of our World Class Corps crammed into only 11.5% of the alphabet, leaving just 45% of the corps to be spread out over 88.5% of the alphabet.

Glassmen are kind of by themselves and Madison Scouts have company with Mandarins. We do have three "Ps;" Pacific Crest, Phantom Regiment and Pioneer, with Santa Clara Vanguard and Spirit representing the proud letter "S" and being alphabetically neighborly to Troopers.

Someone should do a study to see if we've always been front-loaded alphabetically. If not, when did the alphabetical needle shift left?

Okay, this doesn't even come close to being the strangest thread on DCP.

Why are you including the locality in some names but not others? If Santa Clara Vanguard goes with "S" instead of "V", then why don't La Crosse Blue Stars go with "L" instead of "B"? Or are you just trying to keep Rockford and Rosemont separate? :lol:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are you including the locality in some names but not others? If Santa Clara Vanguard goes with "S" instead of "V", then why don't La Crosse Blue Stars go with "L" instead of "B"? Or are you just trying to keep Rockford and Rosemont separate? :thumbup:

I would assume that SCV doesn't call themselves The Vanguard. Just like Blue Stars go by Blue Star, not thier location. Except for you I don't know of many people who call them La Crosse Blue Stars. Blue Devils dropped their Concord location as another example.

The query to create the tabulation took less than a minute to write. No way I'd count that manually.

Less than 20 corps names start with a number.

1. 12th Command from Taylor, MI
  2. 1st Canadian Regiment from Edmonton, ALB
  3. 20th Maine Regiment from Oakland, ME
  4. 21st Lancers from Norwood, MA
  5. 27th Lancers from Revere, Massachussetts
  6. 2nd Decade from Montmagny, QUE
  7. 2nd Signals from Toronto, ONT
  8. 32nd Hussar from Madison, WI
  9. 3rd Regiment from Saint-Eustache, Quebec
  10. 3rd Regiment of Portland from Portland, OR
  11. 4th Brigade from St. Jerome, Quebec
  12. 507 Hornets from Norwood, PA
  13. 5th Col. RCASC from Ontario
  14. 5th Maine Regiment from Portland, Maine
  15. 76ers from Syracuse, NY
  16. 7th Regiment from New London, CT
  17. 84th Bucktail Regiment from Emporium, PA

I have 69 "Saint..." corps in the database (junior, non international). A quick look at them shows quite a variety of names with Joseph showing up the most.

My mother marched in the 20th maine...