Front loading the alphabet with World Class Corps

Okay, it's late and I'll be up for several more hours working on the DCI program book descriptions for each of the corps. I've noticed something that makes sense to wonder about now, but probably won't make sense after some sleep...if and when that happens.

Have you ever noticed how the DCI World Class Corps are front-loaded in the first three letters of the alphabet? The names of eleven of our twenty World Class Corps begin either with the letter A, B or C. (Time out for everyone to say, "Wow, man." ) I'm not counting "The" in this observation.

The Academy, Blue Devils, Blue Knight, Blue Stars, Bluecoats, Boston Crusaders, The Cadets, Carolina Crown, The Cavaliers, Colts and Crossmen all reside within the first three of our twenty-six letters. That's a full 55% of our World Class Corps crammed into only 11.5% of the alphabet, leaving just 45% of the corps to be spread out over 88.5% of the alphabet.

Glassmen are kind of by themselves and Madison Scouts have company with Mandarins. We do have three "Ps;" Pacific Crest, Phantom Regiment and Pioneer, with Santa Clara Vanguard and Spirit representing the proud letter "S" and being alphabetically neighborly to Troopers.

Someone should do a study to see if we've always been front-loaded alphabetically. If not, when did the alphabetical needle shift left?

Okay, this doesn't even come close to being the strangest thread on DCP.

Edited by Michael Boo

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, Mike get some sleep man. You REALLY need it. :laughing:

Not an option.

Ever notice how funny toes look? I mean, come on!

You know where else this affects drum corps? On the Fan Network! The drop down menu that lists the corps has a scroll bar and you know what? The ONLY corps that you MUST scroll down to see is the Troopers. I call foul! It's a vast DCI conspiracy! :laughing:

You know where else this affects drum corps? On the Fan Network! The drop down menu that lists the corps has a scroll bar and you know what? The ONLY corps that you MUST scroll down to see is the Troopers. I call foul! It's a vast DCI conspiracy! :laughing:

Maybe Velvet Knights will make it back into World Class, and then your corps will have company.

Does that situation disappear with a larger screen?

Maybe Velvet Knights will make it back into World Class, and then your corps will have company.

Does that situation disappear with a larger screen?

Having VK as company would be a welcome addition. GO VK! I remember finals in 1986 (I think) where we had a spontaneous bass drum stacking competition. (Troopers aren't always stodgy old school sticks in the mud you know! :laughing: )

As for the larger screen question: I don't know. I maximized my window to check it out and it didn't change anything. I'll try it with a larger monitor when I get to work.

As for the larger screen question: I don't know. I maximized my window to check it out and it didn't change anything. I'll try it with a larger monitor when I get to work.

You know, the corps could just change its name and none of that would be a concern. :)

And I've always wondered why is Blue such a popular color in drum corps?

Blue Devils

Bluecoats

Blue Knights

Blue Stars

and there are countless other Blue corps that have fallen by the wayside over the years.

If the trend of a few years back continues where corps were putting "The" in front of their names (The Cadets, The Cavaliers), that would have gotten interesting alphabetically as well.

But as I mentioned in the first post, I don't count "The" as part of the name in terms of establishing alphabetical order.

Okay, maybe I should go to bed.