What does it take? (realisticly)

I was thinking of moving on to the phantom regiment after marching with Spirit, and I think that I will easily be able to get good enough to march phantom after getting some sick drum corps chops from Spirit. I am a fairly decent snare player at the moment but nowhere near good enough for drum corps yet.

1. If I was with [enter name of Corps you want to exploit to get better] and found out you were just trying to feed yourself up the DCI ladder... You'd get absolutely no respect from me. I'm not alone in this thinking, I'm sure.

2. You're nowhere near good enough for corps yet, and you think you can easily get good enough to make phantom..? (!?!?). We had a rule at auditions: check your ego at the door. It's not just about chops. In fact, chops might even be in the minority. Attitude has a ton to do with it, how well you get along with people, attitude, ability to take what they tell you and adjust, attitude is factored in, marching ability/style, FOCUS/concentration, attitude ... get my point? Paul rennick will also ask you to sight read and solo on command. So yeah, have a nice day with your chops. :tongue:

To answer your question though: practice until you think you can't POSSIBLY tick on it,, and then learn it off the left hand, then backwards, and then mark time in triplets. a.k.a. keep practicing :thumbup:

Edited by 08Hawkeye

yeah there isnt much else to say, for me drum corps have also had a moving up system as far as starting low on the drum corps toem pole. most people that make a group like devs or cavi's started in groups like blue devils b or mandarins. everybody wants to get to that high point with drum corps. the best things to do is just get involved with any corps, practice every moment you get, there is no maximum amount of time you can, and then just try and move your way up.

I have to say I disagree with everyone who says it's a slap in the face to the corps you "use as stepping stones" to get better. For example, in the real world, the first job for many people may be working as a dishwasher or bus boy at a restaraunt, They eventually move up the ladder by watching and learning from the waiters so one day they can become one and make more money. In this example, the mandarins or BDB corps is represented by the dishwasher and the Blue Devils A corps or Cavies or Phantom is represented by the the Waiters. everyone needs to learn one way or another. I know a guy who marched Madison and then aged out with the Blue Devils, what I am trying to get at is... There are hundreds if not thousands of people who audition for every corps, and a good chunk of them have the talent and skills that are needed, and there are the people who don't have the skills, but they are still accepted into the corps because they can learn and get to the level that it takes to be good and be the best. If every body stayed with the line they started out with, people wouldn't learn the different skills that other people from other corps could teach them....

This was kind of all over the place because I am not a very good writer, but I hope everybody can understand what I am trying to get at.

~Mike

Maybe I was misinterpreted:

Of course you want to maximize your potential with a championship calibre corps, and it would probably be a far cry to make a line like that without some prior experience. BUT, I sure as hell wouldnt go around professing "yeah, I only came here because I didn't make the corps I wanted. I'll be gone as soon as I can..." . By all means, work for your goals - but do it for the love of playing and performing, not to the disdain of a "stepping stone" corps.

Maybe I was misinterpreted:

Of course you want to maximize your potential with a championship calibre corps, and it would probably be a far cry to make a line like that without some prior experience. BUT, I sure as hell wouldnt go around professing "yeah, I only came here because I didn't make the corps I wanted. I'll be gone as soon as I can..." . By all means, work for your goals - but do it for the love of playing and performing, not to the disdain of a "stepping stone" corps.

Yes, words of wisdom man, that is something I can agree with.

• 1 month later...

I know some corps used to do auditions all in one camp. Like i was talking to one of my instructors, and he told me about how when he tried out for Madison Scouts, they made all their cuts at the first camp/in one weekend. What corps still do that. Or have all of them moved onto looking at how you progress over a few camps? I dont want to sound dumb or like i dont know, cheap? I know some of the bigger name corps tend to keep people around kinda for the money, when they already have a good idea who will make the line. I just dont want to waste my money or my time, when really there arent really any DCI corps too close to me. Only DCA (which i currently march) corps within about 3-4 hours.

"If every body stayed with the line they started out with, people wouldn't learn the different skills that other people from other corps could teach them...."

Actually, that's kind of what's wrong with drum corps-at least DCI- these days. Alot of you weren't alive 20 years ago(or more), but there were a lot of great lines developed out of local communities. People would start in a corps and age out in the same corps. Winning DCI (or just marching with an elite corps) was a lot less important than some of the other lessons about life that drum corps provides. Great lines developed from local talent such as Northstar, Bridgemen, Blue Devils, 27th Lancers, etc. That's not to say that some of these corps didn't have members from elsewhere, but generally they were composed of regional people and they had considerable loyalty to the corps & community they performed in. I think that loyalty or lack thereof is slowly killing the activity-take a look at how many corps were around even 20 years ago compared with now. This national approach with very little loyalty has all but killed the open class corps. And it still is possible to grow a great line-I suspect Jersey Surf, for instance is on this road.

• 2 weeks later...
If there's a small corps near you, join up. Everything else will fall in place.

Agreed - I see no mention of Open class in the post but if it's your first time in DCI it's a good place to get your feet wet.