Alumni or not alumni - that is the question

Hell yes, I did...........there was all this "Canadian Ace" beer that I was holding for Alphonse...............oh, that's for annudder thread............

Hey Cossetti, you voted to repeal prohibition didn't you

RCF the King

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As in everything else...there has to be a beginning. It started somewhere, and that somewhere was in the back room of the Archie post. The "activity" at the time, did not have a name.......and then it did. The people in attendance were from other organizations as well. I was there, you were not.

At the time, Archie was at the forefront of the movement. Other corps and groups have overtaken them in this status. I am glad that "the red corps" is still around. :tongue:

To answer your original question: Any group that wishes to have "alumni corps" in there name, God bless them. Again....just words.

Jerry

You're right I wasn't in that back room.

I do know that the Buccaneer Alumni corps was formed before anyone in our group was aware that Archie had named the activity or considered themselves an alumni corps, per se. What a fortunate name selection for us! We chose a name that had been picked for us by someone else and we didn't even know it.

Doesn't matter now, anyway. In anycase, does Archie operate under the original Archer Epler Musketeer charter? Just wondering.

My final words on this.........you sure of this Marty???? Check with others before making these kinds of statements. Oh, Joe Jasinski may enlighten you as to who gave him the name of the uniform company that made the Buc's Alumni uni's.

Get off the Archie kick. It's been stated.........we didn't make the call, history and convenience did.

JC

You're right I wasn't in that back room.

I do know that the Buccaneer Alumni corps was formed before anyone in our group was aware that Archie had named the activity or considered themselves an alumni corps, per se. What a fortunate name selection for us! We chose a name that had been picked for us by someone else and we didn't even know it.

Doesn't matter now, anyway. In anycase, does Archie operate under the original Archer Epler Musketeer charter? Just wondering.

Just gotta tell ya (without any malice) . . .

My final year competing with the Buccaneers was 1971. There was some sort of political upheaval following that season, many folks decided not to return, for a variety of reasons. My reason was college, marriage, and a soon to follow teaching career.

At the time, and probably since the early 60's, a group known as the Old Bucs was functional. They had specific attire, regular meetings, and appeared in parades, although not with brass and percussion. Some of those guys are still around.

My contemporaries still wanted to meet with each other, although not do the more demanding competitive thing. We met with the Old Bucs at their West Reading hideout, decided we wanted to do something more in support of our corps. We agreed to get together and called ourselves the Reading Sportsmen's Club. In reality, we didn't do much of anything except see each other at shows, etc.

In 1981, those same people came together and created The Buccaneer Alumni Association. The Old Bucs were still active, so we knew we couldn't call ourselves that. We choose to use the term "alumni." That was 1981. Don't know why that term was selected, could have been from another drum corps group with similar purpose, but I can assure you, our group started its "alumni" ID in 1981.

I'm thinking, maybe, the Caballeros Alumni had an earlier start than this. Anyone know?

Well if it's a potential member who hears the word "Alumni" and thinks "Oh... nevermind...". :tongue:

good point,but I think a real potential member would join regardless.