Alumni or not alumni - that is the question

Hey there guys.........when Archie reformed in 1974 we were an Alumni corps. Most members were former members of the corps, their younger family members and a few "friends". Historically speaking we considered ourselves as an alumni corps. We welcomed women/girls into the corps and opened up membership to non-alums. We continued to consider ourselves an alumni corps, the theory being that althought we'd evolved it was still a homage to the Archer Epler of old and, after a non-alum performed with us, did that not make them members of this alumni corps?

After the corps went back into DCA competition in '81 it could no longer be considered the alumni corps, but we continued with a small parade contingent. This continued until 1988, long after the field corps ceased to compete (but the parade alumni corps continued) when we had a change in directorship and management. By '89 we could think of no reason to continue to confuse issues with the appellation of 'alumni' and started using 'Classic' to describe what we were. Yes, we still had many alumni and their families involved in both the corps and chorus. Yes, we still paid homage to the Archie of old in use of signature music that was rewritten to take advantage of contemporary instrumentation and the balance we could achieve. Yes, we did continue to push the entertainment envelope and used both corps and chorus in stage productions, just as Archie of old was non-conforming and created new genre of musical presentation on the field.

I'm sitting here chuckling over the use of those now famous 9 words that folks with red shorts do not sing when Buc's corps song is sung. I had the pleasure of sitting next to Hall of Famer Bruce Englehart at the Spring Preview. As he was singing the corps song at the close of the Buc's performance, he leaned into my left ear and said, I'll sing those 9 words for you. I laughed because I'd been fortunate enough to have worn them both and was an alumnus of the combined corps in '68.

So, there is no need to argue semantics, use of words, whatever..............call it what you will, it's all still good.

Joe

Well we'd have to change the "green" is gone as well...since Reilly is back at it too...

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, my apologies. You obviously read the post, but not my intention - that's my fault for not being able to articulate it clearly enough.

It may be "splitting hairs" and irrelevant to those in the participating organizations, but that's not what I'm trying to discuss.

Why, in god's name would I want to denegrate or question the reputation, membership, or existence of any corps?

I get your point about the membership of Bridgemen being a variety of alumni/non alumni/ and new to DC people. I think that's cool.

However, outside of our genre of drum corps, "alumni corps", carries a stigma, to many, of being a bunch of has beens reliving past glories and I don't think that's the case whether a corps plays previous corps' standards or new charts. If that perpetuates, then finding future members could become a problem.

There are various organizations that are not alumni corps and never have been that are lumped in with alumni corps because they do not compete on the field. etc, etc. Does being associated with alumni corps affect them?

I fully realize that some corps have open membership and some would rather limit it to former members. That's OK, too. I know within our own group of current members, we don't care about such distinctions.

So, what's in a name, you ask? The question predates, "Romeo and Juliet". Unfortunately, other people's perceptions define/redefine what's in the name. Sometimes it doesn't matter, sometimes it does. When it does matter is it worth addressing the issue?

Someday, we will all be too old to march and if the "alumni" label hurts recruitment of new members and we want the organizations to survive, is it worth figuring out another name for our type of groups in order to facilitate the continuance after originators of the group are gone?

In other words, sometimes the argument over whether music stands should be used on stage gets pretty heated. At our current rate it won't be long til the argument over stands on stage turns into an argument over walkers/wheelchairs onstage. (I'm OK with them, BTW)

Marty,

First of all, I did, indeed, read your original post. My answer basically covered your questions.

But to be more direct...

These "definitions" (below), that you set forth are fairly accurate in describing the Bridgemen, the only thing that I would add is that there is a definite drive toward performing well, like ANY drum corps:

>>>A corps that was once inactive, but is now active or reorganized?<<< (YEP, that's us!)

>>>Or is it what it seems, any current, performance only corps made up of a bunch of old farts that couldn't care less about the, shall we say, complexities, of being a competitive field corps?<<< (Yep, that describes us, also, but to be fair, only about 70% of us are old farts!)

Yes, competition is for the kids. Heck, the average age in DCA is down to about 28 yrs., right? If not, lower.

You obviously didn't read my post whereby I stated that our corps is comprised of 75% members that DIDN'T march with us back in the day.

So, perhaps we're an "alumni" corps in name only.

And as my brothers Terry, and Jerome stated...

"What's in a name?"

I guess what I should have said was...

I think alumni or not, it's great that many great corps have returned to perform, and have a good time.

As for the argument...I think it's just splitting hairs.

It certainly has little, if any bearing on recruitment.

Jim

Edited by Martybucs

Jim,

Thanks for the response. I had wondered if when Archie reformed whether or not they had thought of the term, "alumni corps" at the time or whether they were Archer Epler Musketeers back in business. So now you are no longer Archie the "alumni" corps, but are now Archie the "classic" corps" Is that like COKE and CLASSIC COKE. or is it an argument over tasting great vs. being less filling. :tongue:

I think the rest of your point is the "splitting hairs" part that is throwing people off the topic I intended. Of course, it's all good and we all know what we are. No argument there.

Does the overall concept of a sort of "alumni corps" division of drum corps help or hurt - some corps - all corps that perform in the same relatively limited venues. Heck, in a parade we're all "bands" to the people watching.

Hey there guys.........when Archie reformed in 1974 we were an Alumni corps. Most members were former members of the corps, their younger family members and a few "friends". Historically speaking we considered ourselves as an alumni corps. We welcomed women/girls into the corps and opened up membership to non-alums. We continued to consider ourselves an alumni corps, the theory being that althought we'd evolved it was still a homage to the Archer Epler of old and, after a non-alum performed with us, did that not make them members of this alumni corps?

After the corps went back into DCA competition in '81 it could no longer be considered the alumni corps, but we continued with a small parade contingent. This continued until 1988, long after the field corps ceased to compete (but the parade alumni corps continued) when we had a change in directorship and management. By '89 we could think of no reason to continue to confuse issues with the appellation of 'alumni' and started using 'Classic' to describe what we were. Yes, we still had many alumni and their families involved in both the corps and chorus. Yes, we still paid homage to the Archie of old in use of signature music that was rewritten to take advantage of contemporary instrumentation and the balance we could achieve. Yes, we did continue to push the entertainment envelope and used both corps and chorus in stage productions, just as Archie of old was non-conforming and created new genre of musical presentation on the field.

I'm sitting here chuckling over the use of those now famous 9 words that folks with red shorts do not sing when Buc's corps song is sung. I had the pleasure of sitting next to Hall of Famer Bruce Englehart at the Spring Preview. As he was singing the corps song at the close of the Buc's performance, he leaned into my left ear and said, I'll sing those 9 words for you. I laughed because I'd been fortunate enough to have worn them both and was an alumnus of the combined corps in '68.

So, there is no need to argue semantics, use of words, whatever..............call it what you will, it's all still good.

Joe

We should challenge Donnie to update the lyrics to add the word, "original" before the colors. :tongue:

yo Marty,.............believe it or not, the banter on this subject is a direct reflection of the board meeting our corps had in an attempt to address this very subject a few years back,...............we finally determined to subtley drop the word alumni from our website, publications, flyers, etc. as we deemed it the best way to make the switch,.................we surveyed our new members, and as a result I am happy to say that the success we have had in recruiting new, non drum corps types, and former members of other corps, into our fold, can be directly attributed to this switch,....................

Heck, in a parade we're all "bands" to the people watching.

Yeah. Some things NEVER change!!!!!! ;-)

Good thread, Marty!

Man having a 50 year old brain stinks at times.....

Two years ago the Lancers printed up "business" cards to hand out to people who might be interested in joining the corps. Another one of the ideas from the "how can we improve things" sessions the BoD had. Finally thought about the cards and took a look at one in my wallet. Has the corps website and usual practice schedule (2nd/4th Sundays 2-5PM).

Yeah... the word "Alumni" ain't there. Will have to ask how hard it is to get the website logo changed.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Heck, in a parade we're all "bands" to the people watching.
Yeah. Some things NEVER change!!!!!! ;-)

Good thread, Marty!

Thanks and thanks for your patience.

I should've figured out the wording better in the beginning before I started the thread. I was afraid it was going to go the way it went.

That's why I did so many posts to try and clarify what I meant. It was like herding squirrels for a little while, but I think we're back on track and at least, even if it ends now, it ends on the topic I intended.

Edited by Martybucs

yo Marty,.............believe it or not, the banter on this subject is a direct reflection of the board meeting our corps had in an attempt to address this very subject a few years back,...............we finally determined to subtley drop the word alumni from our website, publications, flyers, etc. as we deemed it the best way to make the switch,.................we surveyed our new members, and as a result I am happy to say that the success we have had in recruiting new, non drum corps types, and former members of other corps, into our fold, can be directly attributed to this switch,....................

Thanks for the post. Good one.

So, do you think performing in the overall niche that is considered "alumni" corps would hurt or help other corps?

I know it's a struggle to get past that with the Buccaneer Alumni Corps, because it's part of our name. Many people don't realize that you don't have to have been a member of the field corps to be a member and we have many members that have never marched in the field corps.

Now, the organizations, the Reading Buccaneers, the Buccaneer Alumni Corps and the Buccaneer Alumni Association are all under the umbrella of the Reading Buccaneers organization. If you join the Alumni corps you join the Reading Buccaneer organization, (I could be wrong, so don't quote me), and that makes you a Buccaneer. It is also strongly hoped that any alumni member that is willing and capable of joining the field corps, do so. Some members do both - God love 'em!

Thinking of the Emmaus Sentinels just starting up. Brad and Terry working their butts off to get it off the ground. They are doing a great job.

They invited me to play. (unfortunately, I've been busy on every practice day except one, so far. Hope to do better)

I gather from the effort they are putting into the group, they want to exist beyond the original goal of the town anniversary parade August 2009.

What advice would you give them?

Drop the alumni part and just be the Emmaus Sentinels?

Can/should they pick up the original charter?

Guess we need NEW corps' jackets. Summer AND winter.