Alumni or not alumni - that is the question

I started drum corps in Junior B and went A and then folded or merged, the term back in the day. We would have no alumni corps today. Some went to existing 'alumni corps' and it's wonderful that they have an organization where they can march again.

I asked the ladies if we could have a merger of all people in our city that marched drum corps and start something. It has to be 'all women'. I'll keep trying. I think there may be quite a few people in our city that would be in a _____ corps.

My neighbour was a pilot and now colour guard. I already told him I'd help where I can. Gotta re-start somewhere. :tongue:

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, then just call us a "EXHIBITION CORPS"!!!!!

I don't understand why it can't be left alone and called "ALUMNI CORPS". Another level of drum corps!!!!! period!!!!

Yes, most alumni corps do not have 100% membership from the good ol'days, but what an alumni corps is a an alternative to the competing all-age corps and let's people enjoy performing again.

Here in Bayonne we are not a Jr.corps again, nor are we or ever going to be a senior corps and compete, sooooooo we are a Alumni corps, one who does some drill and having LOADS of fun doing it!!!!!

Hype!

George

just some logic

If a group of former members starts an exhibition corps that pays tribute to their previous competitive corps, isn't calling it an Alumni Corps - as in St. Joe's Alumni - far more accurate... I think that the key to the success of the alumni movement is the variety created when each corps pays tribute to its namesake and often from different eras...

So you have Scout House on the field playing Waltzing Matilda and clearly identifying with a very unique style, then have Cabs Alumni paying homage to 6 decades of success with their spanish themes and then Sky doing the same to the unique Dreitzer sound and 2nd signal slipping back into the 50's with the Canadian style that I knew so well... all vastly different styles but all tremendously entertaining in their own nostalgic way.

So rather than dwell on whether their membership all marched in the namesake corps or not, I choose to accept that their declaration as "Brigadier's Alumni Corps" is a proper indication of their dedication to preserving the history of great corps - not only preserving it but presenting it to new generations so that they too can enjoy what their parents and grandparents were entertained by - long before they were born.

Get used to it... they're Alumni Corps!

We've got Alumni Corps, not composed of Alumni. They're playing Bugles that aren't really bugles at all.

I tell ya, it's as bad as all these kids in Winter Guard who aren't guarding anything.

The public will never put up with all this hypocrisy.

They'll go instead to a NASCAR race, and watch the stock cars.

just some logic

If a group of former members starts an exhibition corps that pays tribute to their previous competitive corps, isn't calling it an Alumni Corps - as in St. Joe's Alumni - far more accurate... I think that the key to the success of the alumni movement is the variety created when each corps pays tribute to its namesake and often from different eras...

So you have Scout House on the field playing Waltzing Matilda and clearly identifying with a very unique style, then have Cabs Alumni paying homage to 6 decades of success with their spanish themes and then Sky doing the same to the unique Dreitzer sound and 2nd signal slipping back into the 50's with the Canadian style that I knew so well... all vastly different styles but all tremendously entertaining in their own nostalgic way.

So rather than dwell on whether their membership all marched in the namesake corps or not, I choose to accept that their declaration as "Brigadier's Alumni Corps" is a proper indication of their dedication to preserving the history of great corps - not only preserving it but presenting it to new generations so that they too can enjoy what their parents and grandparents were entertained by - long before they were born.

Well said, Tom ... Sky's Alumni has always been open to all since day one ... I always related the "Alumni" part to the organization - not the individuals ... even our separate Alumni Association has a disinct "associate" member category for wives, fans and close friends who have followed the corps for years ... affording those who couldn't march in the Field Corps the opportunity to play Sky's charts is what it's all about ... the expression on their faces after a show or, even a rehearsal, is priceless ... testimonies they have given in our newsletter and other forums are heartfelt ...

One for all ... and all for one ... right? ... OOPS!!! ... WRONG CORPS!!!

Andy "GARBARINA, LET'S GO!" Lisko

Tom and George, think Martys original point is not about non-Alumnis in Alumni corps. Think his concern is if using the word "Alumni" in the title is hurting recruitment. From what Gary wrote that is one of the reasons why Erie dropped it from their name. And it's a big reason why Hanover doesn't use "Alumni" most of the time (we're working on it).

And this probably won't come out right but I'll try it anyway: Feeling I get with the Lancers is the corps is not concerned about preserving the past or recreating past glory. Instead the concern is keeping the local Drum Corps (no all Age/Alumni qualifier) on the streets for years to come to entertain as they have for decades. And I see nothing that is "Alumni" about that goal. And I should also explain that it is very rare when the corps performs in front of a drum corps knowledgable crowd. Almost all gigs are parades or local standstills.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Tom and George, think Martys original point is not about non-Alumnis in Alumni corps. Think his concern is if using the word "Alumni" in the title is hurting recruitment. From what Gary wrote that is one of the reasons why Erie dropped it from their name. And it's a big reason why Hanover doesn't use "Alumni" most of the time (we're working on it).

And this probably won't come out right but I'll try it anyway: Feeling I get with the Lancers is the corps is not concerned about preserving the past or recreating past glory. Instead the concern is keeping the local Drum Corps (no all Age/Alumni qualifier) on the streets for years to come to entertain as they have for decades. And I see nothing that is "Alumni" about that goal. And I should also explain that it is very rare when the corps performs in front of a drum corps knowledgable crowd. Almost all gigs are parades or local standstills.

Well ya COULD just call it a "Show band" :tongue:

( I think alumni is more palatable)

well you would :tongue:

And I'd probably have beer!

Well ya COULD just call it a "Show band" :tongue:

( I think alumni is more palatable)

Hey we get called a band enough.. :beer: And I ain't wearing no Mummers outfit...

Personally I'm agreeing with the Erie crew (must have spend too much time in the Red Carpet Association :tongue: ) and just like the term "Drum Corps". Then if someone says "What kind of Drum Corps are you?" I can say "We're a "DRUM CORPS Drum Corps" :beer: .

Sad part is most of the people who see us would ask "What's a Drum Corps". :beer:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

good point,but I think a real potential member would join regardless.

I'm not to sure about that,.....................1999 and 2000 we had some pretty rough years with many Erie folks on the field with Empire and Cru,...............we had a pretty tough time just pulling aff parades,......................we had a hard time recruiting until a group of kids from Edinboro University came along, were interested in what we were doing, but held off approaching us as they thought to corps was for Alumni only,...............shortly after our change in guard in leadership positions, we came to the realization that in order to just survive, and grow someday, we needed to change our outward appearance, and it has been very successful,..............to be fair, we have done a lot of outreach, but the dropping of the words "Alumni Corps" has greased those skids,...................Really!