Alumni or not alumni - that is the question

Yeah and I'm older.... :big hug: Last night I started thinking of that show and couldn't remember the one character was supposed to be a dog. :doh: Will have to google or imdb.com to re-remember as I want to think Paul (Dick Dasterly) Winchells voice was in there somewhere. And can't remember the 'toons they showed.... :doh:

And that friggin' song has been in my head all yesterday. :tongue:

Edit: Wow, just checked imdb.com... Voice of the Splits is like a whos who for us "more mature" 'toon heads. Paul Winchell, Daw Butler (Yogi Bear, etc), Don Messick (Scooby Doo, etc, etc), and Allan Melvin (bunch of sitcoms, butcher on Brady Bunch). Other voices :tongue: Paul Frees (voice over guy), Jonathan Smith (Lost in Space), Sharri Lewis and ol' Dennis the Menice hisself Jay North. Man having a flashback...

I always thought that they were the Hudson Brothers in disguise!

"over hill and highway the bananna buggies go...comin' up to bring you the Bannana Splits show!"

Anyway...Trubute corps that's a good one!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like "tribute" corps and I think it was mentioned awhile back.

Do you think that it also carries with it some limitations, though?

Maybe you can get around the limitations. I think about a year or so ago, I remember, Jim Cossetti, (who's probably annoyed with me, at the moment sorry), mentioned that newer songs could be played by alumni, using the certain STYLE of the corps, even if the corps never played the song way back in its' heyday.

However, it still leaves the issue of corps, playing in the same venues that may not care for the classification of "tribute corps", either. Should we give them a "Him Hymn"? :big hug:

I like "tribute" corps and I think it was mentioned awhile back.

However, it still leaves the issue of corps, playing in the same venues that may not care for the classification of "tribute corps", either. Should we give them a "Him Hymn"? :big hug:

Hey, one of the first corps songs I learned.... :doh::tongue: Sang it for my wife one time and she said "You Didn't?" :tongue:

Getting back to Alumni vs Tribute, for some corps think people should get used to the idea of "Drum Corps" with nothing in front it. No Junior, All-Age, Mini, Alumni, Trubute, Ham Sandwich.... just "Drum Corps". Dagnabit....

Today's newspaper spoke of the Jimmy Buffett Tribute Band. They dress a bit like his band, they mostly play his numbers, but probably not as well. That tribute group has members of various age, and no one really expects members of this tribute band to have actually played with Jimmy.

Best of all, there's that margarita connection to what we are already doing!

So, I plan to propose:

Buccaneers Tribute Corps

sponsored by the Buccaneer Alumni Association

(no kidding)

Today's newspaper spoke of the Jimmy Buffett Tribute Band. They dress a bit like his band, they mostly play his numbers, but probably not as well. That tribute group has members of various age, and no one really expects members of this tribute band to have actually played with Jimmy.

So, I plan to propose:

Buccaneers Tribute Corps

(no kidding)

Yeah, Fred, and I know I'm in the minority, but I really don't care for Hawaiian shirts. No offense, Fran.

MARTY!

I went back to see the first reference of the term "tribute" and it was from YOU (post 35). Congratulations! I really think the tribute term can stick. Let's work together within our own group to use the terms "tribute corps" more frequently. I'll discuss this with you on the 27th!

:big hug:

Getting back to Alumni vs Tribute, for some corps think people should get used to the idea of "Drum Corps" with nothing in front it. No Junior, All-Age, Mini, Alumni, Trubute, Ham Sandwich.... just "Drum Corps". Dagnabit....

I agree, Jim. It shouldn't make any difference. Some people absolutely have to have a label on everything, though.

How many times have we all done something, (anything) and found there is always one person that says, "But, that's not like you. You only __________." or something like that.

Labels do matter, even if we hate them.

Edited by Martybucs

For those returning to the thread after awhile, I feel I should tell you I revised the original description on Page 1 to more clearly reflect what I was going for as a topic.

I made a complete A** out of myself with that first description and I apologize.

I was reading responses and going, "what's going on?" then I reread what I wrote and thought to myself, "Oh..."

I didn't write what I was thinking.

Is that Alzheimer's?

Anyhow, you can go back and check out the new description and see if that makes more sense to you, if you didn't understand the original description.

Edited by Martybucs

Hey, one of the first corps songs I learned.... :doh::tongue: Sang it for my wife one time and she said "You Didn't?" :tongue:

:big hug:

So, I plan to propose:

Buccaneers Tribute Corps

(no kidding)

Oooff....Buffett Tribute? Why bother I have tickets to see him June 14th (CHRIST....Next weekend already wooohoooo!!) (yeah...I'm also a Parrot Head...go figure!)...which reminds me...need Margarita stuff from the state store...anyway....

yeah Tribute band...errr..CORPS it is! It looks like the real thing, dresses like the real thing, but there are IMPOSTERS everywhere! I can do the Tribute thing! You just gotta move the Bucs Tribute Corps closer to Hershey, so I can participate occasionally! (although I'm a certified alum???)

(btw...the Him Hymn was taught to me way back in high school, by my drum instructor..Skee Derr!)