Academy

I had time to check out the Academy this weekend. Unfortunately I got there late, meaning I only heard a small amount of full ensemble. The music this year is a lot better written than last years show. Not so many notes and some more power written in. There are a couple of tempo changes within the opener.

When I arrived the brass were broken into 2 groups, half working on O' Magnum Mysterioum (corps song) and the others working on a Eric Whitacre ballad (Cloudburst?). I don't know if the Whitacre piece is part of their show or a parking lot song. To be frank, when I was listening both groups I was not very impressed with their execution. Their attacks and releases were unimpressive. I though the tubas had a good sound during these two pieces, but were the weakest section during show music. However this might have been due to new music because during full ensemble the brass was loud, crisp, and full. The dynamics are sounding great, although they were standing still but if they can translate it to the field.

As for the new Jupiter horns.... :smile: . I loved the sound that these horns created!! Sounds like a blend of King and Yamaha, think more King. I can definitely see more corps using this horns in the upcoming seasons and I hope Academy never goes back to Kanstul.

In all, I was unfortunate to see any marching due to lack of lighting. From what I heard, I think this years show is better written and is definitely a finals worthy book. I didn't check out the guard but have heard better things about them this year.

P.S. I did not march Academy

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I personally like the sound.

There's a vid of Teal on a certain popular video site entitled "Teal Sound 2008 Preview"

They sound amazing, agree with them sounding like a combo of King and Yamaha horns

As for the new Jupiter horns.... :smile: . I loved the sound that these horns created!! Sounds like a blend of King and Yamaha, think more King.

Soooo...Like a Yamaha but worse? :P

Joking aside, I can't wait to hear O' Magnum.

Have heard through the grapevine that Teal is very happy with the horns. They are using the Mapex drums, but haven't heard anything about that.

Haha, I know that I like the sounds of the drums, myself. Most of the other guys/girls on the line like them as well.