The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

I have been working hard for last 2 days getting Murray , Ky. ready for the guys.A nice dark and A/C 'ed place to sleep, clean showers with hot water, MSU's big staidum,and a bunch of us alums. are feedin' them thursday night. Smoked pork loin,smoked chicken,tater salad,bbq beans,fresh corn on the cob,rolls that melt in your mouth ! The local womens club is makin' them cookie's and cake.( It helps to have an alum's mom who is pres. of the womens club )

Bill

Hey Bill, how did your big feed go for the guys last night? My guess is there wasn't any food left by the end of the evening.

Did you get the job of stirring the Gator Aide with your good arm?

I hope Deb & Co. were able to take the night off.

Can't wait to watch the Scouts in Atlanta (hopefully twice).

GO SCOUTS!!!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. I just ponied up to the Scout's fund! My company has a matching fund program and the Scouts are a 501©(3) organization (Madison Drum & Bugle Corps Association Inc).

With their help, the Scouts are $500 closer to their goal!

Anyone else contributing should see if their company has a mathcing funds program!

Go Scouts!!!

Charlie

P.S. Bill, good luck with the meal tonight. If you see Casey, tell him to phone/text home. His mother is convinced that he lost his phone!

VOLUNTEER REQUEST

We still need a volunteer or two, preferably with a car available, for the following dates/locations:

August 3: Buffalo, NY

August 4: Toledo, OH

August 5: Vincennes, IN

If you can help out, or if you know anyone in these areas who may want to help out, please PM me.

Thank you!

Linda

GO SCOUTS!!!!!

On the ATL thread there is a post with a statement 'from' the scouts director not sure which, that says the scouts will be performing and then leaving for their next show in jacksonville i think? anyways, does this mean the scouts are in no position to make finals? i hope seriously hope they make finals. (don't we all) well anyways just thought it was strange, i think it had to do with trying to find housing in atlanta...any thoughts on this would be nice...

On the ATL thread there is a post with a statement 'from' the scouts director not sure which, that says the scouts will be performing and then leaving for their next show in jacksonville i think? anyways, does this mean the scouts are in no position to make finals? i hope seriously hope they make finals. (don't we all) well anyways just thought it was strange, i think it had to do with trying to find housing in atlanta...any thoughts on this would be nice...

I don't think that post was entirely correct, and in any case, they now have housing in the Atlanta area at Duluth HS in Duluth, GA, which is about 28 miles north of Atlanta.

They would only leave in the afternoon if for some reason they don't make the Top 12. I'm sure they have Plan A and Plan B in place, just like they did in San Antonio. And now that they have their own housing, they will likely be able to return there for afternoon practice, either to get ready for the evening show, or to make use of the daylight before heading off to their next location.

GO SCOUTS!!!!!

Madison report as of 4:00 pm. 7/25/08 .

I have so much to tell. First I will list all the thing's we got done while in Murray , Ky. Got the fridge/freezer on the foodtruck repaired and was workin' fine when they rolled out. Got the stage for the cohone's (sp) built and painted and ready for ATL. We got all the wheel's back on and working all all pit equipment and drum major podium's. The vols. and drivers got some very good rest. Got the staff bus and one of the Jones buses worked on.

Oh, took about 30 secs. out off the middle of the closer and it sure does make if flow better. They changed a little some in the drum solo to. At the risk of being called a SUPER HOMER I will say the show flows very well now. :worthy: The guard is getting better and better. The drill is getting pretty clean and the drums are still very good. Now for something that I do know a little about, the horn line is getting pretty darn tight and alot of sound now.

We changed the big dinner to today after practice and before they pulled out for ATL. housing. Dan wanted to give everybody plenty of time to eat enjoy themselves. Chuck Betts, ( my very good friend and now all the guys in the corps good friend ), and I started cooking at 8:00 am. this mornin' and and cooked till we started eating about 2:00 pm. My younger brothers , the staff, drivers, and vols. all ate like kings till we could not hold any more !!!! Yes, we had food left over ! They took it all with them for snack tonight. A good time was had by all. We got a new Jones driver yesterday. It is his first time driving a drum corps around. He really enjoyed our little feast. As he and I where staked out buy the fresh corn on the cob ( eating alot of it :laughing: ) He says , " Man, this drum corps chow is freakin' awesome ! " I told him I would call him next week to see if he still felt the same way. :worthy:

More later,

Bill

GO SCOUTS !

Edited by Bill L.

I think they're staying in the stadium whether or not they make finals i just talked with a member. I'm so excited! GO MADISON FREAKING SCOUTS!

Yes, they will be staying at the stadium... departure time is planned for 11:30pm, so all the parents and fans who want to meet up with the Men of Madison should be able to. They'll be leaving camp at about 10:45am to head to the stadium, with a performance time of 2:15pm.

Great report from Bill L... glad they were able to fix the equipment and provide a feast! The volunteers who rolled into Atlanta today came prepared with 500 cookies for the guys as well. (BTW, it's "cojones", but I'm not sure exactly what the stage is he's talking about... perhaps Bill will enlighten us? I'm picturing the guard in the 1995 show.)

We're still looking for someone local to the Buffalo NY area to help out while the Scouts are there on August 3... please PM me if you'll be around and willing to help out for a few hours or so! We also need someone for Vincennes, IN on August 5, which is where the Scouts are currently housed for the Indy area. Hopefully they'll be able to find something closer to Bloomington, but for now Vincennes is the plan.

Thank you to all who have stepped up to volunteer!

Linda

GO SCOUTS!!!!!

Bill

I want to be a SUPER HOMER like him ^

Here's where you and I disagree. Neither judge kept the Scouts out of the evening competition.

You are totally missing my point. I can care less about GE. I know that the Scouts GE has been low. I have two questions you need to answer me so that I know that you are a fair-minded person.

1. When one judge scores a percussion line at 4th and another judge at 11th, is one judge wrong?

2. Did the Mandarins outplay the Scouts in percussion in San Antonio?

Your reputation is on the line. We want to see some honesty. ( :laughing: ) (sarcasm)

Edited by DantheOldMan