DCI and Electronics - Comments Wanted

...thanks to the few people who have sent me emails or plan to do so. I appreciate it.

Happy to have done so. I think that anything printed in a daily newspaper is great exposure for our little niche activity.

Just make sure it's printed in the Sunday edition. That's the only day I get one on my doorstep. :big hug:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the rising cost of fuel and food, one would think all thought of adding thousands of dollars of expenses to an already financially strained activity would not be so front burner and relevant.

The cries to constantly change and evolve, wether needed or not, seems to be the battle cry of the new agenda in DCI. Sadly, year by year the activity gets smaller and smaller as more corps fall by the wayside unable to keep up with regular expenses, let alone adding the new toys that those that "create" so desperately need in order to keep their ideas fresh and "current"

What would DCI really be like if it wasnt fueled by instructors and directors egos, each trying to out do and out smart one another, forsaking the true intent of drum corps "for the kids" mantra ??

If these instructors see all of this new technology as the future and the way to go, but the activity is diminishing as we speak, there has got to be some point that maybe these folks need to go and true creativity needs to come back into the forefront, letting the activity once again prosper and maybe we could focus on the real things that need to be addressed such as cash flow, marketing and such.

Who really cares if electronics are the "next great thing" when theres nobody left to use them, and empty stands receiving them ???

Geoffrey

Edited by GMichael1230

Happy to have done so. I think that anything printed in a daily newspaper is great exposure for our little niche activity.

Yes, tell them how many corps used to be from Minn. and whos left now, tell them how many corps went inactive last winter and tell them the cost of implementing all of these new things into a show and then tell them how much fuel is needed and see if you get sympathy from them for using these things when corps cant even make ends meet.

Geoffrey

I've received all the comments I need, so consider my request closed. Thanks to the people who took the time to contact me.

Randy

The general public reading an article about marching band fans arguing over electronics makes us look more nerdy than we're aldready perceived.

Again, that is not the newspaper's fault.

Well, Randy did want comments restricted to only MN residents. Not to mention, he provided an email address to receive comments. He also has a PM box by virtue of being a DCPer, so he's probably not expecting to read collect comments from here inside the thread, esp from us non-Minnesotans.

I'm from neighboring Wisconsin. If you want my opinion, just let me know.