A Night At The Show

How do those Jupiter horns sound? By now, I'm sure they've figured out how to play them well, but does anyone have any comments on how it compares to what they've previously used, or how it compares to other corps?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First act review. Second act to follow.

A Night at the Show

The Academy’s Indoor Spring Performance

From the Tempe Arts Center

The Venue: The brand new Tempe Arts Center became a wonderful venue for “A Night at the Show.” The approx. 1000 seat European styled theater has three levels with ¾ wrap around balconies on the second and third level. My seats were in the center of the first balcony in the second row. Members of the Academy instructional staff sat just in front of me.

The acoustics are as you would expect and the sightlines are perfect. I could easily see each member of the pit (in the orchestra pit) and every performer on stage. The stage seemed to have plenty of offstage space in each wing with curtains masking each entrance and exit. The stage had no set and just a drop in the back for video presentations and lighting effects. Best effect of the whole show was just after intermission at the end of the Winterguard show offering. Members of the guard were wrapped in thin green fabric in a ghost-like look. Members alternatively exited the stage or went and stood right up against the drop bathed in green light as well. They seemed to just disappear into it. And, then the lighting changed for the next brass ensemble moment and the guard just faded….into the “Mist.” It was an awesome moment that could only be accomplished indoors.

The Show: As we entered the theater, Charlie Chaplin’s 1915 “A Night in the Show” was playing. For those who have not seen it, the film is classic Chaplin from the runaround trying to find his seat to his reactions to the members of the orchestra, the conductor, the Snake Charmer and the best, his out of control reaction to the fire eater. I believe The Academy was using the Chaplin film as a basis for their production. They made an attempt at a vaudeville-esque production, sometimes succeeding other times, not so much.

Two staff members, Patrick Sheridan and Sam Pilafian were our hosts for the evening. After Chaplin’s film, they entered the stage from each side in front of the curtain. Both were wearing obnoxious foam cowboy hats and playing “Happy Trails” on their tubas. (Not sure if they were Jupiters, but hey, these two guys helped significantly in the design of the new Jupiter brass, so I would guess so. We were then introduced to the first brass ensemble’s offering of Eric Ewazen’s “A Tribute to Arizona Highways.”

Arizona Highways: In front of the drop showing slides of Arizona landscapes, the brass ensemble (approximately 1/3 of the total 72 brass) performed. I know, you all want to know about the Jupiter brass sound. I didn’t get a good read on the upper brass, however from the first entrance of the baritones, euphs and tubas, Sheridan did a fine job on his end. The upper brass had a young, inexperienced sound. The first attack was flubbed by the mellos and it sounded throughout they had “fat tongue-it is.” The Academy marches mellos and flugels. The intonation, especially when melding with the lower trumpet parts is going to be a challenge all season. I did not find the Ewazen memorable, cluster chords typical of current wind ensemble literature.

Six Minutes with Wes: Evidently, the star of the show is Wes Anderson, one of the snare players. He was featured several times throughout the show and in his first feature, he begins with a drumset solo. Wes was last season’s champion for drum set at I&E in Pasadena. He puts his chops together for us and then is joined by a cadre of staff and pit members and then a portion of the drumline helps finish the Latin based drum ensemble offering. Nice.

Sam Pilafian then introduced the tie in to the Chaplin film; an offering from the guard set to tune “Smile” (Chaplin wrote this, by the way.) and Chaplin quotes and images shown on the backdrop.

Chaplin Remembered: A portion (perhaps half) of the guard were featured in Chaplin Remembered to the tune “Smile.” Without tempting to “camp this up” with a parody of Chaplin, the designers, gave us nice Chaplin-esque moments without beating us over the head with it. I understand The Academy hosts Master classes in Dance and this group showed evidence of this for the most part. Yes, some of the moments could have been a bit better defined, but overall, they produced a memorable tribute to one of the masters of comedic films and a true renaissance man of the early 20th century. This year’s guard will be an asset to The Academy if this is any indication. In the past, they appeared much more as an afterthought.

Jambi: Yes, the Academy HAS a cymbal line. They threw down, first on hi hats, then on a combination of hi hats and cymbals and then finally with all of them on cymbals. I remember 6 cymbal players and they did a very nice job with this.

O Magnum Mysterium: LAURDISEN! Thank you! Having sung this several times, I wanted to hear their treatment. The brass overall was well balanced. I think the Jupiters will cut it in DCI. I would place their sound as more to the King side of the equation. Again, some of the youth showed in the entrances of phrases, again in the lower trumpet and mid voices. Overall, the performance settled in at the midway point and finished strong….tubas and baritones had some very lush passages and they were handled well.

Marriage of Figaro: Yep, some Mozart. As a precursor to their field performance “Vienna Nights,” the front ensemble entertained us with the Overture from “Marriage of Figaro.” It was very well handled both as an ensemble and with their treatment. I thought the dynamics didn’t vary enough but that would be the only critique.

Svatba: The brass ensemble once again took stage and performed the Bulgarian folksong, “Svatba.” This offering served as a nice “warm-up” to the first act finale, the first portion of the summer field show “Vienna Nights.” It was well performed although mid voices still showed a tendency to play a bit on the sharp side. I believe the blending of the flugels and mellos are going to be a continuing issue for overall intonation. This is especially apparent when the ensemble increases volume and may be due to younger players “pinching.”

Patrick Sheridan and Sam Palifian then introduced Vienna Nights to the crowd. Basically, the show is set in Vienna over the course of time from the first musical schools of Mozart and Haydn to the schools of the 20th century with Schoenberg and other modern composers. The two schools battle it out in this work from organist Philip Wilby.

Vienna Nights Part 1: We hear snippets from both schools from music of the Classic period juxtaposed with the 12 tone row of Schoenberg. The music is….AWESOME!!! I believe the brass may not suffer one bit from their rehearsal of the other pieces from this performance as it is clear to me they have significantly practiced their field show. WOW. What a difference. Much more confident sound! The battery and pit parts intertwine between both eras as each school is introduced. The first portion of the field show, which concludes the first act of the show, features the introduction from both schools and a gallop section. If the visual program is an upgrade from last season and the guard has a better year, they will be right there with the Blue Stars and Spirit for Top 12 spots. Very impressive!

The second act review will follow sometime tomorrow. By the way, if Academy offers this on DVD, ###### one up. Worth it…very much worth it.

Great job as always, Tom. Looking forward to part 2.

Sam Pilafian then introduced the tie in to the Chaplin film; an offering from the guard set to tune "Smile" (Chaplin wrote this, by the way.) and Chaplin quotes and images shown on the backdrop.

Chaplin Remembered: A portion (perhaps half) of the guard were featured in Chaplin Remembered to the tune "Smile." Without tempting to "camp this up" with a parody of Chaplin, the designers, gave us nice Chaplin-esque moments without beating us over the head with it. I understand The Academy hosts Master classes in Dance and this group showed evidence of this for the most part. Yes, some of the moments could have been a bit better defined, but overall, they produced a memorable tribute to one of the masters of comedic films and a true renaissance man of the early 20th century. This year's guard will be an asset to The Academy if this is any indication. In the past, they appeared much more as an afterthought.

If there is a DVD, I'd buy it just to see/hear this alone. Smile is one of my all-time favorite songs. Did they use an instrumental or vocal version? Although Chaplin didn't write the lyrics (he wrote the song in 1936), the lyrics...

Smile though your heart is aching

Smile even though it’s breaking

When there are clouds in the sky, you’ll get by

If you smile through your fear and sorrow

Smile and maybe tomorrow

You’ll see the sun come shining through for you

Light up your face with gladness

Hide every trace of sadness

Although a tear may be ever so near

That’s the time you must keep on trying

Smile, what's the use of crying?

You'll find that life is still worthwhile

If you just smile

... were added in 1954. I think they capture Chaplin perfectly. I'd love to see how The A's guard handled this.

Jambi: Yes, the Academy HAS a cymbal line. They threw down, first on hi hats, then on a combination of hi hats and cymbals and then finally with all of them on cymbals. I remember 6 cymbal players and they did a very nice job with this.

I also love a great plate line so I'd also buy the DVD to see how The A's line stacks up against SCV's.

Yeah, I a guess I'd watch the rest of it as well. B)

Edited by skajerk

The show takes place at the Tempe Center for the Arts,

it features all the elements of the Academy, each group performs small pieces of music,

they do perform the 2008 music, performed by the corps different groups.

Wes does a the drum set solo, then is accompanied by Glenn Crosby and others

The drum line does 2 segments,

the front line does 2 segments,

color guard does 3 segments,

the brass line does 2 segments,

there a short marching exhibition,

the cymbal line does a segment

the I&E gold medal contras have a segment, side note, did you know that no contra line had ever won the gold medal at I&E?

Pat and Sam (show designers) do a very cool tuba/trombone segment, accompanied by Wes the I&E gold medal solo drum set winner

First half is aprox 44 minutes, second half is aprox 44 minutes

note bad for $17.00 indoors and in air conditioning. and a state of the location

They also performed using the new Jupiter and Mapex instruments

as for the performance, Beauty is in the ear of the beholder, and I loved it.....

Great exposure for the Corps to non drum corps music lovers

So, in other words, a really great fundraiser for the corps, right?

Here's what I mean. The Academy, not just the D&BC, has kids from all over Phoenix area. That means parents, grandparents, and other supporters from all over Phoenix, etc. That means paying customers! Get the kids into Academy programs, get the parents into the stands for the ENTIRE program.

Genius. And if they cover their costs, or even show a small loss, this time around, it makes a ton of cash next year. Better than Bingo, cuz the Indians (sorry--Natives) can't take it away!

Gotta admit--these guys are even ahead of me! Maybe that's why I'm so impressed with this organization.

Great job as always, Tom. Looking forward to part 2.

If there is a DVD, I'd buy it just to see/hear this alone. Smile is one of my all-time favorite songs. Did they use an instrumental or vocal version? Although Chaplin didn't write the lyrics (he wrote the song in 1936), the lyrics...

Smile though your heart is aching

Smile even though it’s breaking

When there are clouds in the sky, you’ll get by

If you smile through your fear and sorrow

Smile and maybe tomorrow

You’ll see the sun come shining through for you

Light up your face with gladness

Hide every trace of sadness

Although a tear may be ever so near

That’s the time you must keep on trying

Smile, what's the use of crying?

You'll find that life is still worthwhile

If you just smile

... were added in 1954. I think they capture Chaplin perfectly. I'd love to see how The A's guard handled this.

I also love a great plate line so I'd also buy the DVD to see how The A's line stacks up against SCV's.

Yeah, I a guess I'd watch the rest of it as well. B)

Well, they used a theme and variations piano arrangement of Smile that was just stellar. I would lobby to make Smile the theme song for The Academy. I could hear a very lush arrangement written for the brass.

So, in other words, a really great fundraiser for the corps, right?

Here's what I mean. The Academy, not just the D&BC, has kids from all over Phoenix area. That means parents, grandparents, and other supporters from all over Phoenix, etc. That means paying customers! Get the kids into Academy programs, get the parents into the stands for the ENTIRE program.

Genius. And if they cover their costs, or even show a small loss, this time around, it makes a ton of cash next year. Better than Bingo, cuz the Indians (sorry--Natives) can't take it away!

Gotta admit--these guys are even ahead of me! Maybe that's why I'm so impressed with this organization.

I don't know if this was done more for dollars or more for community awareness. Let's say...just watch for a relationship to continue to develop between a certain Tempe University and a certain drum corps located in Arizona.

Hey city of Tempe....you've got a great thing going on here. And yes, I think this show will sell out all four performances next year.

Well, they used a theme and variations piano arrangement of Smile that was just stellar. I would lobby to make Smile the theme song for The Academy. I could hear a very lush arrangement written for the brass.

And I'd LOVE to hear that as well. I'm actually kind of surprised it's never been used. Although I see on CorpsReps that the Bracken Cavaliers, Spartans, Colts, Jolly Jesters and Criterions played a tune called Smile. Anyone know if it's the same song?

Edited by skajerk

How do those Jupiter horns sound? By now, I'm sure they've figured out how to play them well, but does anyone have any comments on how it compares to what they've previously used, or how it compares to other corps?

I visited Teal Sound's Memorial Day camp in Florida and was impressed with the horns--the instruments. The kids are still figuring out DC, but doing fine. I couldn't figure out if the tubas were great due to the design of the instruments or the players, but they stood out in my ear. I wasn't there for on-the-field stuff, but that stood out. Thought I'd share.

Also, more importantly, I thought I'd share the part that was shared with me about why the three corps playing Jupiter are playing Jupiter, and how they came to be selected as Jupiter corps.

Randy Blackburn, Teal's Corps Director, explained that Teal did not approach Jupiter--Jupiter approached Teal. I don't remember if that was the explanation given regarding Academy and Jersey Surf, but I'm assuming it is.

Jupiter produced a nice file folder full of reports on Teal at their first meeting with the corps. Basically, Jupiter staff had been doing some reconaissance (sp?) on Teal the previous year.

The exact statement Randy shared with me went something like this: "We wouldn't have approached you if we didn't think you would be here in three years." Whoa--what does that say about the rest of DCI's corps?

These three corps may not have the best music ensembles in DCI this year. They may not be the highest-placing corps in DCI this year. But I would stack up their business-side operations against anybody's. I can't speak for Jersey Surf since I know next to nothing about the corps. But I've had very good discussions with Randy at Teal and everything I hear, see and know about Academy from afar tells me that they are a great organization.

That tells me that Jupiter is the real deal, and they've picked out three corps to watch in coming years. Notice also, Jupiter did not roll out their brass one year, battery the next and pit the next--they launched all three at once. This takes major capital (money) to accomplish. And they basically had it all ready prior to auditions, which means they had a great calendar in place at the beginning of the whole process that meant they were in for the long-haul. They had long-term money committed to corps that they viewed as long-term, viable partners.

Do you get what a big deal having a full line of basses, snares, tenors (6'es, I might add!), a full line of pit and accessories, along with the full compliment of trumpets, flugels, mellos, baris, euphs and tubas is? I mean, flugels and euphs, too? Wow. I might have considered putting off the flugels and euphs a year or two--maybe even tubas, too--until the cash inflow started off of the more common instruments.

Jupiter has some serious money behind this deal. And from what I heard at Teal, the product speaks for itself. Not bashing the quality of their trumpets--like I said, maybe the tubas are just the best section in the ensemble. But the tubas stood out.

That speaks as to the quality of the product, too. If you put the most into the biggest, most expensive instrument and it sounds like it, watch out for these hornlines and this product.

Hope that answers your question.

And I'd LOVE to hear that as well. I'm actually kind of surprised it's never been used. Although I see on CorpsReps that the Bracken Cavaliers, Spartans, Colts, Jolly Jesters and Criterions played a tune called Smile. Anyone know if it's the same song?

Anyone see Rancho Bernardo HS's guard at WGI? Sounds like the same piece of music they used, especially since the same staff is now teaching Academy's guard. Bet Academy's guard will be technically proficient and very entertaining this year.