What Happened To The Kingsmen?

But Pooh Bear was a BLUE DEVIL and a COLT!!!!!!!!! You should have been listening for Steve Beards Double G's for that Kingsmen feeling! :ninja:

You left out that he was in Phantom Regiment, too. PB may be the original corps hopper! :ph34r:

Garry in Vegas

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TELL me about it! That was one of teh reasons we had no percussion...too mkany interested parties were scattered. Brass can practice by themselves and blend together...percussion -- being much more visual -- has a MUCH harder time doing that.

I may pitch the idea of getting together again the future...but not unless we can get enough time to put EVERYone in.

Then get Gibbs to open it to non-FMMs. I'm sure there are more than a few in the area that would be interested!

TELL me about it! That was one of teh reasons we had no percussion...too mkany interested parties were scattered. Brass can practice by themselves and blend together...percussion -- being much more visual -- has a MUCH harder time doing that.

I may pitch the idea of getting together again the future...but not unless we can get enough time to put EVERYone in.

I heard from someone in the SCV organization, who said that "it's never gonna happen" referring to a KAC, 27 or Madison style show. As I mentioned before, the main reason is that people are getting too spread out. The other thing is the time commitment necessary to pulling off a cool looking show.

Drum corps has changed, and I guess we'd all better get over it. The best D&B corps probably don't have a large number of local people in them, nor will that change for a long time--if ever.

Fortunately, growth in the activity is all about guys like us. Odd isn't it? I like your ideas Sam. Bringing back drum corps to the local level is great for the activity. My hope is that the KAC will be doing this kind of thing. Play at community activities, involve the family, and be a part of the SoCal DC scene.

I know that it's been said before, but I think it's bad for all corps to stack the group with "OOT'ers". I think it is a shame that there are more people from Texas in the corps than there are from Santa Clara, the South Bay or even California! Drum Corps had a lot of advantages when it was a more localized activity. The city of Santa Clara likely has no idea who the Vanguard is anymore, when back in the day it was the pride of the community, especially in the 70's when they won all those DCI, World Open and VFW championships.

I recall seeing my step-sister's friends (3 of them in the A Corps) spinning rifles in the front yard, like it was a normal thing to do. Seeing a bunch of guys in my HS band walking around with SCV jackets was normal too. Having a nearly full corps for the ceremonial post-season show for age-outs or the Santa Clara Parade of Champions, traditions for the Vanguard, are no more. I can see the CMM POV, and the corps' as well, as it couldn't compete if it were not open to everyone to try out for it (as has always been the case, if you think about it).

To have a functioning Alumni Corps should be the goal of all top DCI corps. It is a shame that most do not have active Alumni Corps. Alumni Corps are great for fund-raising and bringing the family and community more into the organization. Although there were some "Drum Corps Widows" in the KAC, many of them came to rehearsal, let the kids run around, helped out and just enjoyed being around so many cool people.

Alumni Corps have their challenges, as you well know. Guys in their 30's-40's-50's have too much to do in their lives to pull this off. You face a lot of challenges in the body too. Drums are murder on a 50 year old's body, not mention a Contra. To see a re-creation of BD's classic '76 show or any 70's SCV show in old school uniforms is, unfortunately, too much to ask of SCV or BD as it is, I think.

But think how awesome it would be!

We can dream, can't we? :ninja:

My feeling is that if the organizations really want to see a project like this happen is to allow qualified "guests" to march (like the KAC and 27 did). This worked so well with the KAC in that the lion's share of the folks are actual Alumni with the rest capable of coming up to standards.

Of course, I don't think the alumni in both organizations would ever allow this to happen.

Edited by scv guy

You left out that he was in Phantom Regiment, too. PB may be the original corps hopper! :ninja:

Garry in Vegas

Pooh marched Phantom? I never heard that. Which year?

Then get Gibbs to open it to non-FMMs. I'm sure there are more than a few in the area that would be interested!

Exactly! I'd march in a BD Alumni Corps if we'd do a cool old school show. And I would be honored to have the DCI Has Been or Sam to be in the SCV corps.

One day. I WILL march in the Bridgemen Alumni. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ninja:

See? Those guys know how to do it!

• 4 weeks later...
Pooh marched Phantom? I never heard that. Which year?

Yeah, he played snare drum. Right next to Neil Peart.