Why are some jouralists such morons?

As someone who spent two decades as a reporter and editor, I'll answer.

Because most journalists write for readers who generally don't know a drum corps from a band. You act like it's idiotic not to know the difference when most of the world not only doesn't know the difference, they don't care about the difference.

If I were writing about a drum corps today for a general interest newspaper, I'd be hard-pressed not to use the term "band" because I'd actually want my readers to understand. Calling it a "corps" isn't enough for the uninitiated no matter how snobby and elitist the initiated might be.

HH

No harm intended, but that seems more like an excuse rather than a reason. A journalist's job is to inform the public. If they can't get it right (or to put it in Drum Corps terms ) "clean" then that's their problem.

Edited by Piper

I know that this subject has probably been hashed out a million times before, but it drives me crazy when journalists refer to Drum Corps' as "bands". Assuming that they really are professional journalists, they should do their homework and know the difference. JMO.

I'd just like to point out one of Webster's definitions of "band":

"a group of musicians organized for ensemble playing"

Therefore, in what way is it WRONG to refer to a drum and bugle corps as a "band"???

There are many different kinds of band. There are string bands. There are rock bands. There are brass bands. There are swing bands. They are all very different, but they are all still bands. So is a drum and bugle corps, whether or not you're willing to admit it.

Just because that term doesn't suit your taste, it doesn't make a journalist (it's spelled J-O-U-R-N-A-L-I-S-T, btw) a moron for using it.

And yes, I've been a professional journalist for 29 years, and I've never felt the need to allow an interviewee to approve what I wrote before it was printed (and quite frankly never had anyone make that request because it's something that's just not commonly done).

Edited by oldsoprano

No harm intended, but that seems more like an excuse rather than a reason. A journalist's job is to inform the public. If they can't get it right (or to put it in Drum Corps terms ) "clean" then that's their problem.

Wrong.

Sorry, but very few people outside the activity have the knowledge that drum corps is not band. In fact, as its been said here a thousand times, there is very little that separates us from bands now days. People know what bands are, and drum corps look just like bands. To those of us in the activity, we are offended way to easily when people call us bands, but in terms of the rest of the world, that is exactly what we are.

You cannot just assume that the reporter is going to know the difference, you have to make it a point to communicate to the reporter hat the difference is and why its important (remember the Who, what when where and why?). A journalist is only as good as the person/people that provide the information. Whom ever is providing the information to the reporter needs to do a much better job of communicating what the activity is about, and if you don't want it to be called a band, then you better say so. Journalists are human, and they get facts wrong, but in the grand scheme of things, if this is the worse thing that has happend, then I think we'll survive.

As much as we hate to admit it, perception is reality, and he folks at DCI have done a #### poor job at marketing the activity to the non drum corps audience. Any publicity the activity gets is good publicity, but there needs to be more of a grass roots effort by DCI to reach outside demographic an attract a new audience.

I have been a journalist and now a PR rep for almost 20 years. The responsibility falls not only on the journalist, but on the source as well.

Edited by Newseditor44

I know that this subject has probably been hashed out a million times before, but it drives me crazy when journalists refer to Drum Corps' as "bands". Assuming that they really are professional journalists, they should do their homework and know the difference. JMO.

The majority of the readers don't even know what a drum and bugle corps is. Most people see our activity and consider it band. I have shown my DVDs to many of my friends and they always say, "so is this band or something?" I explain the differences between them, but I can't really get insulted by them not knowing what it is. And besides, many people who march corps come from band, so I don't think it's that big of a deal.

The Webster's online defines a "band" as "a group of musicians organized for ensemble playing." In terms of "ordinary" english, how is a drum corps not a band?

This is an interesting thread. As yet another former journalist, and now one who writes copy for the local print and broadcast news about drum corps, no matter what you do, no matter how hard you try, sometimes the term "band" gets used by the reporter or editor. Even some who know better. That's the nature of the dragon. It's up to us who are educating others about the activity to "spell out the difference" if possible, and if not, life goes on. Most folks understand what a band is .... most really can't see the difference between a band and a corps. That's okay ... it's really okay. Buy a ticket and take a reporter or an editor to a show ... buy souvies ... soak up the atmosphere ... let them see and hear for themselves. They may or may not see the difference. And in the grand scheme of the universe ... the sun will come up tomorrow. Really.

Edited by matye

This is an interesting thread. As yet another former journalist, and now one who writes copy for the local print and broadcast news about drum corps, no matter what you do, no matter how hard you try, sometimes the term "band" gets used by the reporter or editor. Even some who know better. That's the nature of the dragon. It's up to us who are educating others about the activity to "spell out the difference" if possible, and if not, life goes on. Most folks understand what a band is .... most really can't see the difference between a band and a corps. That's okay ... it's really okay. Buy a ticket and take a reporter or an editor to a show ... buy souvies ... soak up the atmosphere ... let them see and hear for themselves. They may or may not see the difference. And in the grand scheme of the universe ... the sun will come up tomorrow. Really.

Amen...

Oh, and speaking from personal experience, if anyone ever wants to do an article on you, make sure you get in writing that you get final, complete approval of the finished product and check it for errors. BTDT and glad I did...it could have been a real mess.

If it's a feature, then it's possible that you may be able to do that. But if it's a hard news story, no way. Or, at least, no responsible journalist would allow that to happen. It might seem harmless on the surface -- "Oh, but I just want to check it for factual errors" -- but then what one person considers fact-checking, compared with another, can differ widely. And you can't let your sources be rewriting your story. Then you lost all journalistic integrity.

Responsible journalists check back with sources on points that are not clear, but they do not, under any circumstances, allow a source to rewrite their stories.

Edited by byline

If I were writing about a drum corps today for a general interest newspaper, I'd be hard-pressed not to use the term "band" because I'd actually want my readers to understand. Calling it a "corps" isn't enough for the uninitiated no matter how snobby and elitist the initiated might be.

Whenever I wrote a story about drum corps for our daily paper, I called them corps but included an explanation of what drum and bugle corps is. As you note, for the general public, you need to include a reference to marching band so that they get it. I noted that a drum corps is similar to a marching band except that it has no woodwinds. Though, of course, that could change, and then all these distinctions we've been making fall by the wayside.

Honestly, I count lucky if drum corps even gets in any columns, papers, or news. Most news now is just crap and it is just all about getting the story. Accuracy, what's that?